What’s up today?

I am not sure about this one. I have read they prove they can store (committed space) but I am not sure yet how they prove they store(d) or how much redundancy there is. It’s super interesting to see all this though.

Another thing that interests me (and I want at least one of these projects to actually achieve the anonymous/privacy/security we all deserve) is the models (fundamentals, not financial, but moral) that all these projects adopt. So some are more front end, many are contract based between humans. Then you have funding which seems mainly split between VC (Institutional) and then the crowd.

Of course I will be looking at the tech and hoping to make sure Safe Network has the best of them all, we would not hesitate for 1 second to impl proven, secure parts from anywhere. I did try and speak with Juan in SF, but suspect he was then too busy and famous to want to engage any more. Seemed a bit stand offish, which disappointed me a bit, not for me, for him.

So lots to learn, I would wish to start with mistakes, who made what mistakes, then wins, what algorithms make sense, are simple and actually work. The last part is gonna be tough to find, but we surely will find these together as a community. (wider community, not only us)

17 Likes

^^^ This!
It’s about moral fundamentals first - financial second (if that).

2 Likes

Maidsafe mentioned.

7 Likes

From the article:

“Ingves said the e-krona is necessary for future-proofing Riksbank’s operations. Sweden’s populace is abandoning cash for digital payments at a world-leading rate, he asserted.”

Of course, most are not “abandoning cash” willingly. They are being forced to by the banks.

3 Likes

Best, and most balanced explanation I’ve read about how money works, particularly in relation to government borrowing and money printing.

Tl;dr: There is a middle path, that doesn’t lead to collapse through to much or too little, and we may still be on it.

:microphone: :droplet:

Thread:

2 Likes

No, I sort of lost interest in Filecoin when they went the corporate/VC route instead of doing an ICO. So I just vaguely remember some things from their whitepaper that came out way back when.

1 Like

From https://filecoin.io/blog/filecoin-proof-system/

3 Likes

This university series will explain in simple terms how the hard data historical evidence does not back up the most important parts of his claims… and why/how economists like him are blind to how real money works in the global monetary system that we live in (It is a Eurodollar world).

I was reading the getting started with Filecoin last night and it doesn’t seem too dissimilar to where we were going with parsec besides the lack of disjoint sections. I still couldn’t see how how people interact with their data marketplace. As mav pointed out, to store data there are some hefty hardware requirements. The Filecoin blockchain produces a block every 30 seconds or so. On the IPFS side all data is stored in a Merkle DAG which provides many file system like benefits and being content addressable. I still need to know more about “mining” which I think is the whole proof of space time. It will be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the strict ordering of blockchain with high hardware requirements and asynchronous CRDT in a permissionless network with more average hardware. I have some more reading to do.

7 Likes

It looks easy, but going deep there is devil.

Who is verifying that? Blockchain? If so, do all of that with Tx? So what is the cost?

How to hide which nodes are checked on the blockchain? etc…

2 Likes

This ‘proof of space-time’ is similar to what @neo and I were arguing about a few days ago here.

1 Like

Protocol Labs are using CRDTs in the application level but these design patterns are not at the core or part of the underlying network. If you skip to the last few minutes they created a collaborative text editor that has an IPFS node in the browser to run the application, connecting and utilizing CRDT.

It’s very interesting that Safe Network will have this technology at its core in such novel ways. All personas in one way or another, the data intrinsically CRDT compliant, CRDT trees for file systems or maybe an OS, CRDT trees that any developer can leverage to build however they like via the api. This is going to be something else. The biggest take away is that Safe Network itself will be as resilient and eventually consistent as data is with CRDTs. :exploding_head:

17 Likes

It makes a lot of sense to do that. Taking it further and the network crdt aware, even of user data makes even more sense. The tricky part for them and us is BFT CRDT’s and this is a huge area. We have made great strides there and hopefully they can make use of that as well.

I am really interested in this, but annoyed this was my #1 approach since 2015 and was continually told data can always conflict. In any case we are all in line now and marching fast. Consistency in a dynamic permissionless network is a holy grail. The next testnet will have some of that, Fleming will be fully complaint. Exciting days

24 Likes

4 Likes

He seems like a real shit. Just no need to get the wooden spoon out, tbh.

5 Likes

Good day everyone, just finished this book and had to share.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Ants_(novel)

Science fiction at its gripping, challenging, philosophical best, plus, ants.

Loving the excitement here recently with things coming together in the dev updates and the filecoin launch and comparisons, exhilarating stuff. I hope also that you’re all taking care of yourselves in these funny times.

2 Likes

What could go wrong! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I hate to use the word crash, but…

2 Likes

Just finished what I’ve been reading and fancied a bit of sci-fi - thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like