What’s up today? (Part 1)

It may suit “them” to deny the general public of internet service - or find a way to filter SAFE traffic - Yes I know we think we are secure. It wouldn’t hurt to have an alternative though…

1 Like
4 Likes

I worry about this too … I think that as of right now it’s not a problem as deep packet inspection is maybe too costly and difficult for ISP’s and there are means of disguising packets … longer term though with AI packet analysis this may become a hard problem?

Perhaps we will need AI to help disguise packets in the future.

2 Likes

and there appears to be bipartisan support for this … so no matter who wins the election this will likely continue forward.

@dirvine I hope we do our best to avoid this Filecoin mistake with the test safecoins:

2 Likes

I hope so, I see a lot of filecoin news, it’s worth so much that I suspect a lot of fake news might be happening. I hope a lot is fake as we really want to see how this project fares with it’s different approaches to us in many areas, use of a blockchain for 1.

5 Likes

Very entertaining video for FreedomFi from the Open Infrastructure Summit. Starts at 1:03:05. Warning: Contains goats.

3 Likes

Small explanation:
“Goat” (козёл) means something like “jerk” or “dumbass” in Russian.

2 Likes

Ah - I thought it was his pronunciation of ‘forgot’. But ‘for dumbasses’ makes more sense.

1 Like

Remember that guy who had thousands of bitcoins and set about donating them to charities? Well he’s “lost access” to his laptop and the bitcoins, and is now asking for donations.

https://www.pineapplefund.me/

2 Likes

Boom! IMO, this is huge news for crypto.

8 Likes

Been using PayPal for years to send/receive fiat from friends to buy/sell various cryptos - depends on who had an account with the exchange offering the best rates.
Usually kept the transactions under ~£300 though - the one time we tried to shift £5k it got our PayPal accounts locked for a couple of days - not entirely sure they believed the story that I was selling a car to a mate…

5 Likes

So apparently this isn’t actually the case!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ipfs/comments/jf073z/filecoin_isnt_an_incentivization_network_for_ipfs/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

5 Likes

Hmm… I thought that was the original, primary, goal? Pay people to pin stuff to make it permanent until the payments stop.

If you have to pay to retrieve and it is a different network completely, it rather seems to have missed the target.

I must admit, I did wonder why such a simple thing needed 100s of millions of dollars and a several year runway. Feature creep maybe?

2 Likes

If the fears of the Redditor above are justified, what makes Filecoin any more useful than say pCloud ?pCloud - Europe's Most Secure Cloud Storage

Seems just as adequate a solution until something SAFEr comes along…

3 Likes
4 Likes

Found these two posts the most informative.

Filecoin nodes are IPFS nodes – the networks overlap heavily. Filecoin miners have multiaddrs, a libp2p DHT, gossipsub, bitswap, IPLD cids, and more – it’s the exact same stack and ecosystem. Sure, not all IPFS projects will want to use Filecoin to persist their content, and not all Filecoin data will be published to the public IPFS DHT - but that modularity is a good thing. The vast majority of projects are building on tools like Powergate, Textile Buckets, and Fleek’s Space Daemonwhich adds a Filecoin cold storage layer to IPFS.

Filecoin’s retrieval market is still a WIP - you can learn more about how that’s evolving in the talk at hour ~7 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYu6cA5VTvQ

Peeves22

[13 hours ago](Reddit - Dive into anything

The important thing is are files on filecoin available through IPFS and share the same multihash and the answer seems to be no.

It doesn’t matter if the networks overlap, or if they share the same tech. If they’re not interoperable, if you can’t grab a file from the filecoin network through the current IPFS network using the same multihash, then they’re different/seperate networks entirely

10 Likes
6 Likes

According to this article “maga2020!” was the password of Trump’s twitter account. In 2016 it was “yourefired”.

7 Likes

When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.