What’s up today? (Part 1)

CoinDesk: Ethereum Developers Move to Reduce New Cryptocurrency Creation.

Eminem Raps About Bitcoin As Popular Culture Embraces Cryptocurrency
https://www.ccn.com/eminem-raps-about-bitcoin-as-popular-culture-embraces-cryptocurrency

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
1 Like
            WhatsUpToday

There are 2 things you can’t ignore anymore: Javascript and Blockchain

Good article, but I think cryptocurrency is already playing a part. Safe net will multiply that effect too.

2 Likes

A blockchain makes sense for exactly one situation: when we need a public ledger that everybody needs write access to, yet nobody can trust anybody. Whether it will actually work for that situation is another question: only when limited bandwidth and extreme waste of storage, energy, and computing resources are all acceptable. If we look past the hype, it isn’t hard to recognize that, in most of the cases where a blockchain is currently used, it’s an interesting mix of unnecessary, wasteful, and insufficient.

Javascript is great but we also have WASM and it can run anywhere nowadays, and there are projects like Rust + WebAssembly that bring practically native apps to the browser for other languages. Not denying Javascript is a great language with a vibrant ecosystem, but it’s hardly the language of the future.

5 Likes

Here a flowchart to illustrate your POV (from electrify.asia):

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s basically “when we need a public ledger that everybody needs write access to, yet nobody can trust anybody” and “wasteful” expanded into a chart :joy:

1 Like

Being a moderator on Reddit can be difficult, it seems (one side of the story of course):

Unpaid and abused: Moderators speak out against Reddit.

1 Like

Some of the mods on reddit behave like they are not unpaid… I don’t know what that is exactly but perhaps the state of reddit is in large part driven by what seems a younger audience. I don’t envy the mods there but then I also ran into too many with no good reason - just blatant limiting the conversation to what they wanted to hear. So, I left reddit behind in the same way I did facebook. I wonder then how social sites will mature over time, I guess the whole world is learning the limits of what works and what doesn’t. Perhaps a learned over time set of manners will appear, rooted perhaps in at least the Principal of Charity (best interpretation of the opponent’s motive and most constructive outcome for the debate).

There a lot of simple changes I wonder SAFE will introduce that could have big effect on perception… one I saw somewhere the other day about that devs will need to rethink that they own the data - some tip that they will need to be careful to validate the data as it might have been modified by another tool. A big change in ownership and who has the power…

7 Likes

US, UK, and other governments asks tech companies to build backdoors into encrypted devices

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/3/17815196/five-eyes-encryption-backdoors-us-uk-australia-nz-canada

4 Likes

The Australian government says its not a backdoor if it is in legislation to provide it. Backdoors to them is only illegal access. No wonder all the tech people have bruises on their foreheads from banging their heads against the wall over the government saying the laws of mathematics are not above the government legislated laws

7 Likes
            WhatsUpToday
4 Likes
7 Likes

These SafeNetwork posts I feel get lost in this thread.
I think its a great thread for general whats up, but these probably deserve more of a spotlight?

6 Likes

Is it just me, or is this video really no longer there?

They had to perform an edit and it will be back up soon.

5 Likes