What’s up today? (Part 1)

I find it unclear myself and I was rather confused. It states the restriction by means of omission and would be much clearer if it just said in the “motif sportif” cycling is not allowed as a sporting exercise. One must have to look at / be knowledgable of two sets of rules to understand what is authorised.

I appreciate you pointing this out as others probably find this confusing also.

1 Like

Looks handy: open source online conference software, BigBlueButton.

3 Likes

The open source Safe network is live in India, the CoronaSafe network!

https://www.geospatialworld.net/blogs/kerala-uses-open-source-public-utility-to-fight-covid-19/

4 Likes

It is ambiguous enough that I shall continue cycling, I don’t agree with your claim that it is definitely prohibited, ‘motif de santé’ is not clear. In reality, as I have tried to say, it will depend on the policeman you encounter, how charming you are with them, whether they and their wife had a fight the night before, etc. And with my Irish accent when I speak French, people find me adorable often, what can I say.

I appreciate the effort you’re putting in to try avoid upsetting the police, but please, it’s your own personal interpretation of how law works, which you’re fully entitled to, but don’t try claim it is universal. The situation is unclear and everyone has to nonetheless keep living, for me that means cycling. For many other that means cycling too, in Lyon there’s lots of people out on bikes.

As an example, I heard of someone getting a fine for having a shopping trolley with very little items in it after leaving the shop - does that mean that I should stop popping over to the shop for just a bottle of whiskey and a bag of crisps? I would argue - no, I’ll do what I want, as long as I personally judge it as moral, not harming others, etc. If you decide however after hearing that story that you want to ram your shopping bag full of items every time you go to the shop, fine, but don’t tell everyone else they definitely have to and that’s the rule.

Just to be very clear, as it’s often difficult in text, I am writing this with no aggressiveness, am appreciating the dialogue, and hope that you (and everyone) are dealing well with the confinement.

3 Likes

Spent thirty minutes there on twitter looking at tweets about cycling during lockdown in France, and yes, people have gotten fined for cycling. I feel like the government don’t want people cycling, but haven’t been brave enought to clearly state it in the declaration. If you just get the news there though you don’t hear of the amount of times people have been for lovely cycles with no issue, which I can attest to :slight_smile: going out again now, slightly hoping the police try stop me so I can start a high-octane pursuit around the city.

And we know what form of government they prefer in Kerala - and neigbouring states :slight_smile:

Cant withdraw my funds(Maidsafecoins) from Bittrex since yesterday (wallet maintenance)

I wouldnt worry personally. I’ve used bittrex for many years, and never had any problems. Be patient.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Open UI, looks sensible to this obsessive compulsive:

2 Likes

Ummm. Guys.

How normal is it, to have a comet larger than Jupiter head in to our solar system?

It will be closest to the Sun on May 31st.

Anything to worry about? Gravity wise, will we have issues.
It just sounds a bit big.

1 Like

NASA says it will miss us, hopefully they would know.
Edit.
Actually, it’s not even on their list I dont think, would help if they had listed the real name, not just atlas.

Edit2. My bad, they did show real name, I dont see it on list for that date though.

1 Like

Where do you get “larger than Jupiter” from?

If it was “larger” ie of greater mass than Jupiter and was only 3AU away then we would be seeing quite large gravitational perturbations already - and likely for months beforehand.

Jupiter is, using very rough figures, an average of 5AU from Earth. At 3AU that puts the comet close to the asteroid belt. If it was any significant fraction of the mass of Jupiter then we would know all about it months back.
It may be a bit bigger than the usual visitors but nothing I have seen in that article gives any cause for alarm.
But that won’t stop the religious nutters and the apocalypse merchants…

I doubt worrying would help either way! :grin:

2 Likes

It is reported to only be a few kilometres wide but it’s atmosphere has grown increasingly larger, and is now about half as wide as the sun.

I guess the core is a few kilometers wide.
Atmosphere could mean anything eh? A very weak atmosphere of particles the size of the sun may not be much.

I can’t find much more detail with my google fu.

2 Likes

Estimated diameter 10 m - 23 m and closest pass to Earth = 1.27million miles
NEO Earth Close Approaches Edit - that might be the wrong one

1 Like

Allow me to smack you with a bucket of air, if you would be so good…
I might smack you with a bucket of air taken from just above the surface of the Dead Sea or perhaps a bucket taken from 15,000m above sea level - very different densities and neither is going to do you too much damage. I wouldn’t worry just yet.

If these reports are validated then it does seem there is some quite impressive out-gassing going on. A sample return mission to that baby would be very instructive indeed.

The guy who found it has the same telescope as me only one size bigger and two models later
Celestron Maksutovs FTW :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 times the distance to the Moon

Not much happens in Lincolnshire

1 Like

I believe vegetables grow there without significant interruption. I also bought a very fine (and hilariously cheap) Citroen in Cleethorpes many years ago. Don’t knock Lincolnshire