What’s up today? (Part 1)

2 Likes

Something about A Parallelized BFT Consensus Protocol:

https://www.radixdlt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Cerberus-Whitepaper-v1.0.pdf

For some reason I’m on there mailing list, thought id share…

2 Likes
2 Likes

I know some people like to create flyers and such for the project, so I thought this might be of use.

10 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Mega Thread

4 Likes
1 Like

Hey @maidsafe recent presidential candidate Andrew Yang just announced he’s launching a non profit and one of the goals is to support projects that promote data as a property right. I think we should jump on this before anyone else does as there will be free publicity and marketing as part of the deal.
He’ll also be starting a podcast and he has always been crypto friendly. I think if we reach out and make it about online privacy and full data ownership and control then we could possibly get David an interview? I know he’s busy as sin so maybe not an interview. Would be perfect for @dugcampbell if he was willing to take one for the team :grimacing:

Cc: @Sotros25

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing! A lot of the crypto/DLT faithful in the US were in support of Yang when he was running. There are some political considerations to take into account, but this could be a good avenue for awareness building.

5 Likes

I agree it is slightly political in tone but really more movement oriented towards a human centered economy. Arguably one of the more bipartisan campaigns, a lot of support from both sides.

1 Like

As the human representative of the Chicken Liberation Front (CLF), I’m happy.

EDIT: Do you see this in English or Danish??

2 Likes

As a frequent consumer of Lidl chickens this makes me happy.

I see your link in Dansk. When I click I am taken to the page in English.

1 Like

I hate that! The language version should be stated in the address, not generated by some weird script that ends up buggy anyway. Grrr!

I guess it’s not up to SAFE to decide how this will be implemented on independent sites on the network though, is it?

1 Like

SAFE should be responsible for the safe storage and delivery of the data. Not for the data - at all.

1 Like

Absolutely! But maybe best practices could be encouraged by e.g. a CMS like @Shane’s. Just like the use of Unicode.

1 Like

I believe that the webpage is detecting your locale from your browser and serving the content back to you accordingly.

For instance, one of the request headers my browser sends is:

accept-language: en-GB,en-US;q=0.9,en;q=0.8

If I spoof my accept-language to da-DK I am served the article in Danish. :slight_smile:

This is actually the best practice: You’re served the correct language based on what your operating system and browser says you prefer. Where this website falls down is not giving the user the option to override that setting through some sort of language selector in the header / footer, if the user should wish to browse their website in a different language (maybe you’re using a friends phone, or an internet cafe)

This is funny timing! I’ve spent the evening working on some code to handle translation!:

screen1

6 Likes

Hmm. Says who? I want to be served whatever language I choose myself. I don’t like machines choosing for me. And in this case something seems to make the link I posted show up Danish on this forum. I read the article in English and naturally assumed it would show up in the same language when I posted the link here. I still don’t like it.

1 Like

Ahhh, then yes, that is a weird bug. I wonder if that’s where the server hosting this forum is based? :man_shrugging:

I want to be served whatever language I choose myself.

The theory goes that you’re able to change the language of your browser, or your operating system. Doing this should automatically change the languages on many websites.

1 Like

Automatic language selection may work for monolinguals who just don’t understand anything except what their OS is set to. But this is the case with less than half of the world’s population. I regularly speak four languages and read more, so having somebody else guessing and choosing the language for me is just annoying. Also, the less unnecessary automation, the fewer bugs.

2 Likes

You can set a list of languages and assign a preference factor to each language. There is a setting for that in Firefox.

Seems like that the forum is not sending a language preferences resulting in the site falling back to its default language?

2 Likes