What’s up today?

Are the T-1000 Terminators coming, should we call Sarah Connor? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Looks promising for some kind of data

Files on the vanilla Skynet network are unecrypted and available to the world. A user can always encrypt files before putting them on Skynet to protect their privacy, but because Skynet is intended as a publishing platform, Skynet is default unencrypted. This is in contrast to Sia, which is meant for personal data, and is therefore default-encrypted.

Support for encryption is currently in development. Users will be able to create their own encryption groups and publish files on Skynet which are available only within that group. Someone can be added to the group by sending them an encryption key link.

Cost and speed:
According to Vorick, Skynet’s main advantages lie in its costs and speed. The price of storing data on Skynet is approximately $5 per terabyte per month – roughly ⅕ of monthly storage costs at Amazon. In terms of speed, Time to First Byte (TTFB) for a Skynet download is typically under half a second and the throughput is roughly 1 gigabit per second, he contended.

3 Likes

Interesting but it all seems a bit vague. I can’t see how it functions and there’s no white paper https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/f3x5jg/is_there_a_whitepaper_or_overview_for_skynet/ as yet and not much, as far as I can see, on the Sia repos. I haven’t really been following Sia for a while. Was this expected or is it out of the blue?

4 Likes

Wasn’t skynet something to do with skycoin and their related blockchain with hardware? Another skynet?

2 Likes

I don’t think so, people just love that name. In Bulgaria there is a crypto project of the same name too …

1 Like

Odd really, considering it is associated with computers going rogue and creating terminators to destroy humanity.

3 Likes

Palantir

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel

4 Likes

Sia released Skynet, Filecoin is aiming for Mainnet in May, Holochain is having testnets, seems like alot is happening, unfortunately Maid looks like the last to deliver

1 Like

By all means put together a feature comparison.

5 Likes

:grinning: Are they are same in your eyes?

Good luck! Thanks for giving me a laugh!

3 Likes

@gouda123

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”

Have a day off pal :sleeping:

4 Likes

They need hardware for their network like Amazon cloud. But is it stable and cheaper than Amazon and other cloud service? Oh, it is magic!

1 Like

I do not know how they are able to maintain cost for future, but sia nodes set own price per TB and build reputation to attract more uploaders. The real cost does not have to count maintanance and profit at this stage. Similar to SAFE Network Vault economy, where it could be not easy to make profit until increase of SafeCoin price.
Anyway the Skynet is not yet fully released and as @JPL mention, they do not have even whitepaper…

3 Likes

The Safe network is using personal computers to make a network and other things; security, data storage managing, sharding, encryption, streaming are all done by software. This makes cost down. This is the beauty of software.

P.S. If you use Amazon shield for DDoS protection, you need to pay at least 3,000 dollar per month. But there is no DDoS on safenetwork.

4 Likes

This looks fun :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Gotta love dumb lawmakers. There are enough open source encryption options in the wild, that this bill does not frighten me. Anybody who wants encryption will be able to get it, regardless of this bill. All it will do is push big tech into allowing/promoting open source encryption. (A win for us)

If a platform (Apple) chooses to not only cripple it’s own encryption offering, which they would have to do by law, but also chooses to go the extra mile and actively keep open source encryption from its platform, governments, corporations, and organizations world-wide will remove that platform from their list of approved devices. Nobody likes to be spied on.

2 Likes

Outlawing encryption is not about making it inaccessible. It’s about defining those who use it as criminals who can be legitimately prosecuted. Just like Nixon’s war on drugs was about getting to the people demonstrating for civil rights and protesting the war in Vietnam - not about helping some stoners sober up.

4 Likes

Outlawing encryption would indeed be a bill to be worried about. This bill does not appear to do that, it only serves to strong arm social networks into not providing encryption as part of their offering.

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Mega Thread