What’s up today? (Part 1)

Facebook and Google’s pervasive surveillance poses an unprecedented danger to human rights

Facebook and Google’s omnipresent surveillance of billions of people poses a systemic threat to human rights, Amnesty International warned in a new report as it called for a radical transformation of the tech giants’ core business model.

5 Likes

It is a good thing the Cybertruck is unlikely to be used much in crowded, pedestrian and bicycle-rich areas, because:

• front car (see Tweet below)
  • potential quick acceleration and high speed
  • heavy
  • silent: you won’t hear it coming.
  • less specific for this car, but colour also doesn’t help
    The front light is bright though, I’ll give them that.
    I know there are systems that can make a car stop automatically if it sees blocking objects/subjects. But with higher momentum (mass x velocity), this becomes more difficult.

https://twitter.com/greg_shill/status/1197862625226428416?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1197862625226428416&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hln.be%2Fauto%2Fwalging-en-waardering-zo-reageert-het-internet-op-bizarre-pick-up-van-tesla~aa2eb845%2F

1 Like

Seems you may also get an option to add foldable solar panels charging up to 60 km on a clear summer day.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m looking at right now:

Ok, I may be weak, but I give in. I’m won over, although I have no use for this car, but it rocks in its own way.

10 Likes

Couldn’t resist posting this… :joy:

On another note: I actually think the glass windows were supposed to break. They had shown right before they had the technicals, but now they got even the haters to talk about it.

13 Likes
6 Likes

I’d be reluctant to give Musk my money and I won’t ride in his vehicles.

Please elaborate or clarify.

Did you read the police report?

If you read the police report, it suggests that Tesla cars have some deep quality and safety issues a whistleblower (Tripp) got chewed up for ratting out (by Musk himself).

It does not sound too nice, but who knows what sort mood is going on behind the doors of any and every car manufacturer, especially when the media and a good portion of public are out to get them.

I agree, big generally means bad, but if I think of HP, IBM etc I don’t recall this level of attack or treatment of an employee (even though companies like that have been around nearly my whole life). Also, this is extreme, lies at the door of Musk in person and he has form. I think we’re in a more lawless and dangerous era and should not brush off this as just what corporations do.

Also I’m guessing a lot of Volvo’s are produced close to where you live, so initial transportation cost would be low, should you buy one :wink:
Ps: With the Cybertruck Tesla certainly doesn’t cut corners :drum:

Don’t put too much stock in one report 1.5 years old. You can cherry-pick anecdotal testimonies all day long for any company. Tesla did have some hiccups in the early going, as is expected in any new enterprise (see MaidSafe for example) but to truly get a sense of a company’s intrinsic merit, pay close attention to surveys that rate owners’ satisfaction level compared to other manufacturers. You will see that Tesla is at the top of the list for these kind of evaluations. Consumer Reports is a somewhat reliable source as well, although their reports lag current reality by about 1 to 2 years.

Owned my Tesla for over a year now and can testify that I will never go back to a gas-powered car - too many advantages from an EV in performance, convenience (charge at home overnight, no trips to a gas station), cost (especially if you consider service costs over projected life of the car and projected resale value), environmental friendliness and safety. Caveat, though, I did not purchase autopilot or full self-driving. Admittedly, those packages are not ready for prime-time yet.

2 Likes

The Contract for the Web launches today.

11 Likes

I salute Tim, but this won’t do a thing, because – at least I strongly believe that – most of the current digital malaise stems from the web architecture and human nature. Web is corporate now. And it sucks. And there will always be this force to move ahead and escape the corporate jam, but corporations will always catch on, co-opt, monetize to shreds and thus destroy everything. So I believe the solution must be technological, not political. And it will only be temporary as always.

11 Likes

Mr. WikiLeaks not too well.

5 Likes

We need the safenetwork so badly, hope it is not too late.

2 Likes

Some rumours of twitter that Deutsche Bank is about to declare bankruptcy.

Checked Google trends, but it could be people searching on the rumours.

Can the world take another big bank fail, how do we protect ourselves… other than buying crypto.

1 Like

It is certainly talked about on Reddit in this big thread:

7 Likes

Ok, couldn’t resist. Dropped a comment about the Safe Network. Please upvote, I probably need it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes