What’s up today?

(permissionless innovation becoming permissioned again)

Jippy atomic swaps :stuck_out_tongue:

Love letter from Vitalik :kissing_heart:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Bitcoin’s market capitalization over the last year or so has oscillated between $100 and $200 billion. Gold stock is worth about $7.5 trillion. In these terms Bitcoin is nowhere close to being “economically important.”

And according to Eric Budish, it never will be. That’s because, if it ever gets too large, the genius of Bitcoin’s design would be its undoing.

At the moment mining coins is more profitable than it is trying to overthrow the network would be—so that’s what people do, and the network stays safe.

But this protection is very expensive, writes Budish (the Bitcoin network uses about as much power as Ireland to run). And although Bitcoin’s value could theoretically increase almost without end, the blockchain’s security can only increase linearly, as more mining power is added to the network. That’s unlike other forms of security, like cryptography used in the traditional financial system, which, like adding a lock to a door, increases security much more than the cost of deploying it.

Sounds like that’d be an argument in favor of proof of stake.

Certainly an argument against proof of work. Another nail in the coffin of its scalability.

WhatsUpToday

Hey guys, linking this educational video about Bitcoin. I find it really interesting and useful. Hope you appreciate

Maidsafe in retail

TC Sessions: SAFE Network 2019 :stuck_out_tongue:

Facebook faces £500,000 fine from UK data watchdog

:stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats to the team! Suggest to watch it x0.75

Litecoin Foundation Acquires 9.9% of Bank in Payments Partnership :bank:

https://www.coindesk.com/litecoin-foundation-acquires-9-9-of-bank-in-payments-partnership

Interesting!

I know a guy who told me this would happen, and he told me in February. Someone to pay attention to I guess.

"…study found that the average cost of a data breach globally is €3 million…

…mega breaches ranging from 1 million to 50 million records lost, projecting that these breaches cost companies between €34 million and €301 million respectively"

I’m curious how the Python decision making will evolve. I don’t think it will be that big of a problem. e.g. Rust has a core-team.

WhatsUpToday

Hey guys! Two months ago I created this topic as an experiment to keep users always updated on news around the world. It’s amazing that only in 2 months we reached 296 replies, 9.4K views, 50 links and 1k likes. I’d like to thank you for supporting the idea, you’re awesome.

Can’t wait for Safe to be released so i’ll be able to transform (maybe) this idea into an app. Btw, for the moment i’ll go on testing the topic on this forum.
I’d appreciate if u share your thoughts on WUT in these 2 months.
Thanks again!

One of my favourite threads :clap:t2: Get lots of news I’d never find myself

“Coinbase is Exploring Cardano, Basic Attention Token, Stellar Lumens, Zcash, and 0x” @coinbase https://blog.coinbase.com/coinbase-is-exploring-cardano-basic-attention-token-stellar-zcash-and-0x-9e44f0eb823f