What’s up today? (Part 1)

Yeah,the author doesn’t seem to understand that there’s a difference between the safe network and filecoin, but it’s an interesting read nonetheless I think.

But PUTs will be used everywhere including

• “I mean any payment in eshop,” You will need PUTs to be done for this function. The receipt, the order, any enquiries and so on will generate PUTs. One transaction at the shop but many PUTs to execute that purchase.

Dust or large they are only a measure of perspective and really cannot be a true measure of how useful, or how much used a coin is. Because one singular million coin transfer would make a 100 thousand purchases of PUT balance look like 9% of the usage/utility. But in terms of true utility that 100 thousand purchases of put balances will empower 100 thousand people to do storage, send emails, do online purchases (see above) and so on. As compared to the one person’s single million coin transfer from one of their wallets to another of their own wallet. No real utility except to organise their funds better. Yet that million coin transfer makes those 100 thousand people’s utility look really small.

The only thing PUTs will not be used for is READ-ONLY and coin transfers. Every thing else like posting, email sending, placing orders, and so on will need the utility of PUTs (buying resources)

I don’t believe this is right. Not immediately anyway. If safecoin went from $.5 to $50 overnight I can buy 100x more hard drives for my coin, but it will take some time to onboard more farmers to add the extra space to drive the cost of storage way down. The network knows nothing about the fiat price. It may only take a few days as every web host / server farmer / whatever sees it and starts turning unprovisioned servers into farmers, but it will not happen same day.

1 Like

They really are coming for the Internet as we know it

Why can’t they just leave us alone… is it too much to ask? :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I don’t know all the ins and outs of this case but you’d have thought that a project that raised $4 BILLION over the course of a year would have managed to at least get things sorted before the launch. Looks like incompetence at best, fraud at worst.
https://twitter.com/el33th4xor/status/1010255544383426560

2 Likes

I also don’t think this is right. This is above extreme case. @lubinew was pretty correct. Yes some delays and opportunity for some quick draws to game that, but the middle term situation this is what would happen. The window will be in terms of days for gaming.

Also the safecoin market being more utility than most will mean that huge quick changes in dollar price is unlikely. Before adoption there will likely be large fluctuation, but also the time when there are the least number of coins and ability to add masses of hard drives.

• but the ability to buy bandwidth to drive that many drives will take time and thus you are still limited
  • that many hard drivess will drive the PUT cost (in safecoins) down fast, so you become the major driver for @lubinew’s analysis This is because to have large fluctuation in dollar price the network will be small and a large influx of drives will cause large drop in PUT price (in safecoins)
  • but of course your hard drives only fill at the same rate as other’s vaults so your personal safecoin earning rate will not be proportional to the number of drives for quite a long relative time.

As a rule of thumb, as dollar price of safecoin quickly rises so will the PUT cost in safecoins drop. Not immediate but probably faster than you can profit big time from it. The best you can hope for is to already have the safecoin before the price jumps and just walk away with the profits and only using some/modest amount to reinvest in vaults for longer term earnings.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Really interesting :+1:

1 Like

I really hope Maidsafe you deliver the Safe Network before they realize what you guys do! Because I think, if they knew what you are doing, it could get really uncomfortable!

2 Likes
1 Like

Not to worry. Even those who know what MAID is doing, do not actually believe that it can be done. They think MAIDSAFE is like a climber trying to get to the top of Mount Everest blindfolded. In my opinion, especially after Parsec, MAID has been a few steps from the peak for a while now, just catching a breath. I believe that very few people will ever see SAFECOIN and the SAFE network coming. It will succeed!

9 Likes

I heard on Friday that the secret service had a hearing in congress to perhaps ban privacy focused currencies like Monero and Zcash. What are the chances of them coming after Maidsafe after a successful launch? Perhaps making it illegal etc?

That is why I still think this project should be broken down into 2 from positioning standpoint -

Decentralized storage - where companies/individuals can simply leverage the decentralized storage component of maidsafe using existing internet browsers and the way they run their business today. A product/service to replace companies like siacoin, storj, box.com, dropbox, and all/all local storage systems. This is a multi trillion $ market in itself.

The second part of it is building a safe internet for everyone - peruse browser, etc etc.

That way even if some law bans the second portion of the project above, the investors in this project are protected by simply maidsafe being a solution for decentralized storage.

May be 1 and 2 cannot be delinked but I just want the development to be done in a way that if the whole private internet concept is banned by gvernments then atleast certain components of this project (decentralized storage etc) can still function and be used by everyone (large corporations, individuals, everyone included). Something like a person should be able to run a storage node just like many of the existing networks like Siacoin etc do - just download a simple wallet, alot a space from your computer and you are set. Thoughts?

If Safenet is not banned then we are all set to fulfill the entire dream of a fully safe, secure internet. I am all in for it but I dont want to be judged - I like the project but am also always concerned about my investment in maidsafe because of these type of news of goverments banning privacy etc. so just sharing my thoughts.

What’s Up Today?

• Crypto’s future will be probably trillions of dollars according to the article

• Seems that Lithuanians are waking up :muscle::rocket:

It’s about Lithuania not Latvia :smiley:

Sorry stupid mistake, lol :joy:

1 Like
           What’sUpToday?

Good Morning guys, in the WUT (What’sUpToday) today’s number I found these interesting articles. Hope they’ll be interesting for you too

3 Likes

the enormous “public goods” the present financial system offers and the power of the state — on behalf of citizens — to protect the provision of said goods.

7 Likes

It would be interesting to see the long line of 5000 community members queueing up to the construction site, to add their share of the costs.
Then someone comes with the idea: “Let Joe do this, he’s trustworthy and he can receive our deposits and transfer it to them and make sure all pay a share, and we can go back to work (or loiter)”. And there you have government, in the form of Joe.

Or just trust everyone will know when, remember to and freely do, the deposit to all contractors every single time a pavement is laid or roadside lightbulb switched?

(sorry for the OT, the forum is so inactive currently and I am drinking my lunch coffee with nothing to do)

5 Likes

…and it would be even more interesting to see an app that would allow the construction site to require covering the fair share of the costs from everyone involved.

Not too much of a sci-fi by any means. And definitely not a “back to some form of government one way or another” scenario.