What’s up today? (Part 1)

It’s not illegal in the US to incite succession. Riots on the other hand … The issue for me is that the government is selectively enforcing the laws based on clear political bias.

1 Like

See spin post above.

Ok, Scotland is not for me [turns to Ireland]

4 Likes

Sounds like a violent terrorist got off very lightly indeed.
Try that in America and he would have been shot on the spot by the police.
Remarkable restraint shown by the Chinese authorities in the face of blatant provocation by foreign funded terrorists trying vainly to prolong foreign colonialism.

1 Like

Maybe useful @maidsafe

A post was merged into an existing topic: Imperfect political systems

9 posts were split to a new topic: Imperfect political systems

2 Likes

Rob Braxman Tech: I’m Suspicious. Is there a Phone Backdoor? (Pegasus, Simjacker, SS7)

There seems to be a pattern. The Pegasus exploit, Simjacker exploit and SS7 exploit are all very similar. This is all conjecture (though a well thought one). Could there be a backdoor on our phones? And if there is one, where would it be? In this video, I tell you where I think it could be if it existed.

2 Likes

Russia’s New Space Station Module Causes Alarm On ISS

It was a hairy docking, but all good now.

Nauka, the new module for the ISS has had a troubled journey to the ISS after having problems soon after launch necessitating a delay, burning extra fuel and losing the option for a second docking attempt.
However the real drama came hours after the successful docking when thrusters on the module began firing unexpectedly, resulting in a loss of attitude control and emergency actions to stabilize the station.

1 Like

5000x faster CRDTs: An Adventure in Optimization

https://josephg.com/blog/crdts-go-brrr/

Maybe some useful optimization tricks?

15 Likes

Great find! Not a hard read either (for a dummy like me anyway!).

Bump @dirvine There may well be some useful points in there.

10 Likes

Under the hood, my range tree is just a slightly modified b-tree. But usually when people talk about b-trees they mean a BTreeMap. Thats not what I’m doing here. Instead of storing keys, each internal node of the b-tree stores the total number of characters (recursively) in that item’s children. So we can look up any item in the document by character position, or insert or delete anywhere in the document in log(n) time.

Makes me wonder if other things could be sped up besides just CRDT’s. ?

Link to GitHub.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Aww, I just came here to post this. A really great read that gives a nuts and bolts explanation of CRDTs. Confident the SAFE team is on it, but I learned something :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:smiley: Discussions even tonight on it. Some interesting ideas to perhaps make it even faster and with no actor dots too. Some great insights in CRDTs these days. I hold out hope for a new future of computing here.

18 Likes

Privacy. Security. Freedom

10 Likes

The greatest danger to national security has become the companies that claim to protect it

8 Likes

US GAO (general accounting office), has ruled that NASA’s chosen winner of the moon lander (SpaceX) was valid. Bezos can go home and cry now.

Epic victory for the SpaceX Starship Moon Lander! [~13min]

2 Likes

The hacker news discussion of the blog post pointed to another CRDT datastructure called Chronofold. Maybe there’s some ideas to be gleaned from that one too.

1 Like