What’s up today?

JD discusses how big tech is blocking knowledge of the plight of Palestinians as well as aid/donations.

7 Likes

Anonymous getting on the anti Musk train.
I wonder does this mean they will actively target him?

7 Likes

Kinda sounds like it. :eyes:
popcorn-time

6 Likes

And or doge…

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Bitcoin in El Salvador

3 posts were split to a new topic: Anarchism

IMO, twitter is a mercenary speech control outfit. I wonder if suing them is really of any use in the end - they will pay a fine and promise not to do it again (with their fingers crossed). Longer term humanity will abandon using it to share information and that will be that.

In a somewhat related note, I found this today:

Be careful where your news comes from.

So not just mercenary social media corps controlling/limiting the narrative, but literal mercenary reporters trained in a literal spy-school … you can’t make this sh!t up.

2 Likes

Seems centralised cryptocurrency business/mining in China wasn’t a good idea. Who’d have thought :thinking:

7 Likes

Bank of England getting twitchy about stablecoins:

Setting out a scenario where a fifth of UK households and businesses moved their deposits into digital money, it said this could drive up the costs for high street banks because they would lose a key source of funding – this would in turn affect the cost and availability of borrowing.

The Bank said widespread use of private stablecoins could affect its ability to set interest rates, a key tool used by the central bank to manage inflation and the conditions for economic growth. It said the overall impact on lending and credit provision would probably be “relatively modest”, but there was a large degree of uncertainty.

More:

7 Likes

At least they are honest about the fact that they are managing the national economy to further the interests of the banks. I just wish more of the general public realized that it could be managed in our interests instead.

I think I don’t understand something about their logic though, surely high street banks relying even more on the central bank for funding of loans rather than customer deposits would increase their power to set interest rates, not decrease it?

2 Likes

Do Intel chips have a new huge backdoor … and is the US gov. attempting to suppress knowledge of it to the general public? Not sure what’s going on here, so maybe some smarter people can take a peek. As far as I can tell this is a new and relatively recent discovery, but have’t heard about it until now.

I feel dirty after dipping a toe in that cesspool.

1 Like

Useless if the banks can’t repay though.

Do you lend money to people when you don’t get it back?

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, that’s neither particularly new nor really secret. It’s just not talked about much.

I have a Librem 15 laptop for travel, and I’m waiting for the Librem 5 phone, but it’s been delayed again.

3 Likes

I don’t think these are the same things:

from my link: “So a few researchers from the Russian cybersec firm, PT Security, recently found secret instructions inside Intel CPUs that allow them to disassembler and modify the microcode inside the chips. This is an extremely technically impressive hack that is about as low level as you can get. But it is not inventing a new hack, it is discovering undocumented backdoors that Intel have put into their own chips going back decades.”

From your link: " Recent CPUs from Intel requires a binary called the “Management Engine” (Intel ME, or ME for short). This binary is one of three parts required if a business elects to use Intel’s Active Management Technology (AMT)"

Edit: I’ve found an article on this new backdoor:

Edit 2: another link: https://www.itsecuritynews.info/black-code-two-critical-vulnerabilities-found-in-intel-processors/

If true that the US gov. has put sanctions on the outfit that discovered this, then I’m guessing they may have pissed off some people at the NSA or some such.

2 Likes

Well if you are the US and you are “lending” to the apartheid state of Israel, then of course…

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Political cartoons

1 Like