What’s up today? (Part 1)

And yet…

… and now for something completely different …

This could be the answer we are looking for in regard to swapping maid to SNT in the future and/or easily setting up a new DEX market for maid and or SNT. I just want it to launch! It sounds like a major game changer!! :wink:

11 Likes

This looks like the very medicine we all need.

10 Likes

@TylerAbeoJordan do you happen to know the best way to go about approaching the community to see about Omni support or getting MAID listed? That would be something I’m sure most of us would participate in as to show demand. If there is no KYC, it’s secure, and people can earn yield, I don’t see why any of us wouldn’t be able or willing to participate in either providing liquidity, purchasing or trading.

2 Likes

It’s not live yet … not sure when either, but hopefully soon. A bridge would have to be built using their bifrost protocol and I suspect (honestly IDK here, just guessing) the OMNI people would be best in that regarding the MAID token end of things. Maidsafe would have to build a bridge (with bifrost) for the SNT end of things. Once bridges exist, then the bridge itself has to be voted into the Thorchain network.

I’m no expert here at all - much of it is over my head still and I’ll have to read it dozen or more times to begin to grok it.

edit: a couple more thoughts here. There is a lot of hype around this project - and possibly well deserved, but it scares me off a little bit. The other thing is that what they are trying to do seems really hard - otherwise others would have attempted it by now - and we Safer’s know a thing or two about how difficult and long the process can be in tackling a a hard problem. So while I want to be optimistic about Thorchain and what it’s offering, I won’t be leaving my skepticism at the door.

3 Likes

Rather than excessive pump or marketing fluff, excitement around Thorchain’s appears genuine as in it will further reduce CEX dependence.

The Thorchain people have said every chain they integrate must be “economically viable” meaning generate enough fees to make it worth running a full node on each chain Thorchain intermediates over, which makes complete sense. Omni protocols last major project appears to be Maid-o and with trading volumes pretty negligible in the wider scheme of things, plus factoring in that syncing a full Omni node up takes some very heavy lifting… it would be a surprise if they vote to support Maid-o. SNT might be completely different matter though, SN “observers” that the Thornodes have to run to monitor for SN transactions will probably be the most lightweight observer they could ever run, no need to sync anything. The show stopper problem there is how can you independently monitor for transactions on a completely private network? If that is solvable (ability to publicise proof of transaction) then unknown security characteristics of SN would probably be the only concern which might hold them back, at least at first.

Thorchain falls into option 5/a that I talk about here: Intermediary Integrates SN and Maid-o/Maid-e/Maid-x. Even if they vote against supporting it in their decentralised governance process, there is nothing stopping a straight fork of the project. I am sure there would be at least 100 people/entities from this community willing to run forked Thornodes with SN/Maid-o/Maid-e/Maid-x observers plugged into it, staking their Maid and SNT to secure it and earn fees in return. Liked the ErikV quote at the start of the video: “Any money is useless without the ability to trade it”. As long as there is a Maid-e to trade SNT against then we will have a market completely independent from the FATF ruled CEXs, with all the direct paths in/out of fiat that that existing decentralised network already carries with it.

4 Likes

I think this is a pretty solid piece on the Musk drama.

5 Likes

Good article and bang on. He has embarrassed himself, tbh. I doubt it has done his personal brand much good, nor his associated professional brands. I hope he relies on advice from experts close to him much more when it comes to cars, rockets, etc.

We have all been around the block (excuse pun) and ended up here. Something radical is needed if you want to lower energy usage, lower fees and lower transaction times.

Maybe layer 2 will help bitcoin and maybe the energy cost of toppling the established financial system is worth it anyway. Longer term, we need to keep pushing with technologies like Safe Network to do it better though.

7 Likes

Is this happening today @dirvine? Anyone else from the community participating?

3 Likes

Looks like David is on in about 3 hours time.

https://pub.ey.com/public/2021/2101/2101-3679331/blockchain-summit-2021/index/day1.html

5 Likes

If I’m correct David will be on in a little less than 5 hours. Times on the website are Eastern Time.

1 Like

Probably right. There was some kind of countdown when I looked but it was not clear to what. Maybe the start of the session. Can’t see it now.

1 Like

12:20 Eastern which I think is 17:20 BST or at least I hope so as I am too busy today :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m not too fond of registering anywhere. Is there a way to just listen anonymously? Maybe somebody can record relevant talks and post them here later?

2 Likes

Do you have to register to watch? And will it be streaming live on the site?

I Registered with a bunch of made up nonsense

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ve missed David?

2 Likes

Not yet seems in about an hour or so from now. I have been watching though.

9 Likes

David should be on starting 18:05 UK time

8 Likes

Thought I landed on the safenetwork.tech website.
Nice style.

Watching now…

Edit: This is the second media type appearance by David.
‘Marketing’ is ramping up - I can feel it.

4 Likes