What’s up today? (Part 1)

Happy Birthday David!

26 Likes
2 Likes

38 posts were merged into an existing topic: Storj DCS

32 posts were merged into an existing topic: Storj DCS

4 Likes

This BIP describes a layer two protocol for storage of data using Bitcoin as the underlying cryptocurrency.

There are several implementations of decentralized storage

Maidsafe is not listed in the several implementations (storj, filecoin, sia)

5 Likes

Always the bridesmaid never the bride.

1 Like

I skimmed the bip. Their big idea is to use Tor, uggh. Why do they even bother?

1 Like

I think this is going to be a fun debate between Frank Giustra and Michael Saylor - discussion on the upcoming debate here:

To be fair, the text seems to insinuate that they are not truly decentralised and require trusted parties. Given the private gateways being pushed by these project owners, I’d be inclined to agree. So, it’s probably best not to be on that list!

There are several implementations of decentralized storage [1] [2] [3], but none that use Bitcoin as the native cryptocurrency. A truly decentralized and private storage mechanism would have many uses and would eliminate trusted providers and replace them with commoditized storage providers.

1 Like

It does sound pretty awful. It feels many of these projects are more interested in decentralised markets for storage, rather than a decentralised network for storage. Imo, decentralised markets alone will not provide the expect user experience or cost benefits.

1 Like

Oops, doesn’t cut it: “…we found that it’s possible to execute arbitrary code on a #Cellebrite machine simply by including a specially formatted but otherwise innocuous file in any app on a device that is subsequently plugged into Cellebrite and scanned.”

P. S. @JayBird , you mean @moderators oderators

3 Likes

“By a truly unbelievable coincidence, I was recently out for a walk when I saw a small package fall off a truck ahead of me. As I got closer, the dull enterprise typeface slowly came into focus: Cellebrite.”

:slightly_smiling_face:

There are attorneys that will rightly use the information in this article to defend clients who’s data was extracted with this type of machine. It could end up forcing Cellabrite to reveal how their machines work in court which would be a nice blow.

Bitcoin vs Gold - The Great Debate with Michael Saylor and Frank Giustra (Stansberry Research)

Edit: … after listening, I think Saylor demolished Giustra - who, IMO did not come with an open mind as he claimed pre-debate, he came to shill for gold.

6 Likes

How they work is well known and not clever or significant (according to the article), but the fact they appear to be using Apple code without permission could put convictions and ongoing cases in jeopardy.

2 Likes

Turks Suspect Big Crypto Losses as Exchange CEO Goes Missing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-22/turks-suspect-massive-crypto-losses-as-exchange-ceo-goes-missing

Privacy. Security. Freedom

7 Likes