What’s up today? (Part 1)

May be worth a moment.

4 Likes

I guess I finally have a reason to get a coinmarketcap account! :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not when Moon anymore, it’s when Mars … It’s not when Lambo anymore, it’s when Lambo gigafactory.

2 Likes

There has been some talk recently.

8 Likes

While many see PayPal’s Bitcoin model as “un-pure”, fact is it will expose millions of people to an easy way to dip their toes into the Bitcoin waters.

My guess is that when such people see the value of their Bitcoin balance rising over time, compared to their fiat balance, they will be tempted to convert more fiat funds into Bitcoin.

This in turn will persuade many to dig deeper into Bitcoin and ultimately to sell their Bitcoin within PayPal in order to buy it again on an exchange and hold it in their own wallets.

5 Likes

I added telegram channels to the international Safe sites:

3 Likes
1 Like

Interesting new storage tape from IBM and Fujitsu. The new tape can achieve a storage capacity of 317 gigabytes per square inch, which means a single tape is capable of storing 580 terabytes of data.

Not sure how relevant tape technology may be for Safe farmers, but pretty cool anyway.

2 Likes

Interesting, but bizarrely they don’t mention the EU’s weird ‘right to be forgotten’ laws nor safe network. Both seem key to their angle.

1 Like

The latency could not compete on SAFE unless the farming algo rewards every vault that returns a particular chunk within a minute or two or more. It’s the same issue with optical media. These tech excel at cold storage. If an audit mechanism were in place that gave rewards to nodes that can prove they held a valid chunk even when it is not requested by a client, then maybe specialized tape nodes could survive and fullfil a needed archive node role.

We should start thinking about what SAFE looks like when most vaults/nodes are a petabyte in size. As of today, a 100TB to 1PB storage node is readily acheived at reasonable cost by industry players. In 10 years, many home networks will be there imo. Bandwidth will not keep up however.

2 Likes

Why do you think so? 5G shows we already have technology to provide extreme bandwidth. Once we have storage at the scale you mentioned, most things can be cached on the edge (which may become much narrower than today) so that this short-distance but very high-bandwidth networking could be utilized better.

1 Like

Bandwidth today will not compare with bandwidth in 10 or 20 years. The base tech is growing faster than storage space was expanding in the past.

Yes there are limits but we are not approaching them in the foreseeable future (30 years say). Single links today in the backbone exceed the internet traffic of 25 years ago. And this increasing of speed is not slowing down (yet).

This year saw a 20 times increase in upload speeds from my house over 10 years ago. It took a decade for residential connections, but for big commercial it takes a much shorter time to get the increases.

Also my sustained download and upload speeds across to the USA also have increased many fold over the last 2 decades. 2000 was like less than 3 Mbit/s down and today is over 80Mbit/sec. Its only a 100Mbit/sec residential link so that would explain a lot. (Had 100Mbit down for a decade now). It was the uplink speed that increased to a sustained 20 times increase this last year.

And Qty too. 20 years ago 3GBytes in the month was termination trigger. Now I can do 300GBytes per day for weeks with no issue. Even 500Gbytes per day for some days did not cause any issues

5 Likes
3 Likes

And while disk drive capacities are increasing, they can’t match the exponential growth seen in competing media. The largest SSD right now is a 100TB model from Nimbus Data, while a prototype of a 580TB tape was unveiled only a few days ago.

As I said at the beginning of 2020 sources in 2019 said 40 times increase in SSDs were around the corner. Obviously they have more than delivered. The spinning magnetic HDDs days are numbered. Only price will see them lumber on for a few more years longer than they should.

6 Likes

getting close now … soooo close. Almost to the door. Just want to ressssttt.

4 Likes

In light of the SEC’s recent action against Ripple Labs, Inc. , Coinbase plans to suspend trading in XRP on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 10 AM PST.

https://blog.coinbase.com/coinbase-will-suspend-trading-in-xrp-on-january-19-2e09652dbf57

2 Likes

There seems to have been a DeFi project called Safe and Safe2:

1 Like

Yup, second time the 16 year old kid screws things up

According to the article it is the 3rd time! :lol: