What’s up today?

2 Likes

THis is all well and good.

But…
practical example - in my home town of Glasgow, we could reasonably easily create a city-wide mesh network and extend it to the surrounding towns . From high flats in the East End we can easily reach Airdrie Coatbridge, Motherwell Wishaw. But it will take more than domestic equipment to get over the hump at Harthill (where the main TV masts for Central Scotland just happen to be) to reach the communities in West Lothian and then Ediburgh.

How do we do the long haul if the ISPs and refuse to play ball and we are excluded from the fibre links?

1 Like

ExploreAir LR for Long-Haul Traffic

Exalt’s new outdoor ExploreAir LR microwave backhaul systems feature the industry’s lowest cost per megabit-mile, translating to longer range, higher capacity, and smaller antennas to reduce CAPEX and operating costs. With the unprecedented system gain of ExploreAir LR, mobile operators, wireless ISPs, cable operators, large enterprises, government agencies, and other service providers can use microwave antennas half the size, and less equipment overall, to send long-haul traffic further and at the highest availability.

These new all-outdoor systems, which further broaden the Exalt ExploreAir product platform, optimize long-haul IP communications, offering network owners and operators more ways to use microwave backhaul to quickly and reliably expand their networks over large geographic areas with minimal deployment and tower loading costs. The ExploreAir LR systems will soon be deployed in a number of carrier and enterprise networks including a large federally funded US statewide network serving government agencies, healthcare institutions, schools, and rural communities, linking remote locations spanning more than 500 miles.

Operating at all major frequencies in the ANSI/FCC and ITU/ETSI bands, ExploreAir LR features several technical breakthroughs and enhancements:* Industry’s highest system gain enabling smaller antennas and longer distances

• Highest capacity in a single polarization – 740 Mbps full duplex in 80 MHz
  • XPIC-ready for even higher capacity, up to 1 Gbps
  • Fiber connectivity with coaxial DC power for protected long tower runs
  • 512 QAM modulation with errorless and jitterless adaptive modulation (ACM)
  • Field-replaceable diplexers that can reduce sparing costs up to 90 percent
2 Likes

Will read this carefully later - about to perform culinary wizardry.
quick Q - is it feasible for community groups to afford this kind of installation?

3 Likes

There’s also this

FreedomFi Gateway is the next logical step in this networking journey. It’s a commodity, x86 network appliance that offers a straightforward, highly affordable path for anyone to build their own Private LTE or 5G network using open-source software and small cell radios. The beta edition of the FreedomFi Gateway is available on the company website to open-source project sponsors for as little as $300.

5 Likes

4g toon the moon!

The 4G equipment can be updated to a super-fast 5G network in the future, Nokia said.

1 Like

I do not think that the current Internet will disappear even in the presence of mesh networks. I imagine them working together.

I am also currently imagining several stages in the development of the Safe Technology:

• Speculative stage - this is the time of hyperinflation, when the rest of the Safecoins are printed.
  • Competitive stage - the time when Safe networks with different economic models and ways of governance begin to appear.
  • Stage of real usefulness - the time when the networks start to be used for really useful information and not copied from the current internet.

Each of these stages will have different users and farmers. I expect mesh networks to appear in the stage of real usefulness, when the networks will need a lot of internet connectivity (for example, for the management of local autonomous transport in a specific city).

2 Likes

It may suit “them” to deny the general public of internet service - or find a way to filter SAFE traffic - Yes I know we think we are secure. It wouldn’t hurt to have an alternative though…

1 Like
4 Likes

I worry about this too … I think that as of right now it’s not a problem as deep packet inspection is maybe too costly and difficult for ISP’s and there are means of disguising packets … longer term though with AI packet analysis this may become a hard problem?

Perhaps we will need AI to help disguise packets in the future.

2 Likes

and there appears to be bipartisan support for this … so no matter who wins the election this will likely continue forward.

@dirvine I hope we do our best to avoid this Filecoin mistake with the test safecoins:

2 Likes

I hope so, I see a lot of filecoin news, it’s worth so much that I suspect a lot of fake news might be happening. I hope a lot is fake as we really want to see how this project fares with it’s different approaches to us in many areas, use of a blockchain for 1.

5 Likes

Very entertaining video for FreedomFi from the Open Infrastructure Summit. Starts at 1:03:05. Warning: Contains goats.

3 Likes

Small explanation:
“Goat” (козёл) means something like “jerk” or “dumbass” in Russian.

2 Likes

Ah - I thought it was his pronunciation of ‘forgot’. But ‘for dumbasses’ makes more sense.

1 Like

Remember that guy who had thousands of bitcoins and set about donating them to charities? Well he’s “lost access” to his laptop and the bitcoins, and is now asking for donations.

2 Likes

Boom! IMO, this is huge news for crypto.

8 Likes

Been using PayPal for years to send/receive fiat from friends to buy/sell various cryptos - depends on who had an account with the exchange offering the best rates.
Usually kept the transactions under ~£300 though - the one time we tried to shift £5k it got our PayPal accounts locked for a couple of days - not entirely sure they believed the story that I was selling a car to a mate…

5 Likes