What’s up today?

Somewhat frightening. “…a digital dollar wallet is identified as ‘a digital wallet or account, maintained by a Federal reserve bank on behalf of any person, that represents holdings in an electronic device or service that is used to store digital dollars that may be tied to a digital or physical identity.’”

As often said in crypto parlance: not your keys, not your crypto. Imagine a world where cash is (eventually) abolished and a person’s only access to money is through a currency and wallet that is both issued and maintained by central banks with government backing… Such would be the ultimate tool to track, control, and seize monetary assets at will.

11 Likes

That sounds like a bank account, its only digital dollars but I’m sure its worse than that

6 Likes

It is like a bank account; however, what’s more concerning is the advent of a national digital currency in a world that increasingly moves towards a cashless society. In today’s system you can still “opt out”. In a cashless society where banks hold your keys, there is no exit ramp.

7 Likes

This is why I was ranting about DBC Safecoin being able to be a tradable physical currency/note. We could maintain cash and anonymity.

5 Likes

How can people not see through this :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Lock down reborn…

12 Likes

The IT economy after COVID-19

“All IT projects that can be shelved will be shelved until at least 2021. Software vendors must prepare for a tough year where very little net new business will be won before the final quarter.”

4 Likes

This sounds like a pretty weird problem to me. All IT work really takes is a decent internet connection. Of course, not all countries have this, but it should be solvable. Or maybe I’m just spoiled here in my connected northern boonies.

EDIT: Of course, our internet providers lie through their teeth about the speeds they offer. But my actual speed even out here is still several Mb/s when tethering through my phone. Sometimes there is a blackout when a tree hits a power line during a storm, but that’s a different problem and solvable with a UPS.

6 Likes

lol props to fellow rural internet crew! I am “quarantined” to… on about 40 acres of woods and swamp so at least I can go out for a walk and stuff. Ya anyways these connections can sometimes suck. I had a job doing like call center stuff from home and USUALLY it worked but some days I was like sorry I can’t really be productive for you and have to take the day off. The other downside is you pay per mile, not unlimited data… so on a good day I might make a few hundred dollars selling lawn care but it would cost like 50 in data :confused:

4 Likes

You are still able to sell lawn care at a time like this?
What a salesman!!

lol not doing that any more. It was the last “job” I had before crypto started making me enough money to not be bothered.

1 Like

For those of us who are missing sport.

4 Likes

He is from Troon IIRC.

2 Likes

Watching sport you mean. Here we can still walk or cycle outside (certainly if you do that alone), although there was a stupid minister that was thinking yesterday on preventing cycling tours longer than 50km (31 Miles). But that won’t happen: more important to have enough distance between each other.

3 Likes

Yeah watching sport. We can still go out once a day ‘legally’ too. I go cycling every day. Keeps me somewhat sane :crazy_face:

1 Like

In France cycling for leisure or sport is simply forbidden. You can only walk or run but less than one hour and maximum 1 km distance from home.

1 Like

Heavy exercise reduces the strength of the immune system. At this point, I advise everyone to take just walks, any more workload can make you a bad joke …

1 Like

So I’ve heard. That must suck, certainly with the current nice weather. And maybe contra productive in densely populated areas.

In Spain, not even that. Prohibited any walk or sport.
Right now a dog has more civil rights than a human being.

2 Likes