What’s up today? (Part 1)

Thanks [20 characters]

3 Likes

… Quoting myself again.

Bitcoin uses computational power to just hash, that’s a lot of computational power down the drain.

Imagine, appart from paying you for your hard disk space, the SAFEnetwork also paid you for running sets of calculations. Some needed immediately, but some calculations pre-calculated and hashed in advance so if ever asked the answer exists on the network.

You could have presimulated electronic circuits, and logic circuits. You could use the SPICE circuit description file as a key itself to the simulation results on the SAFEnetwork.

1 Like
1 Like

Julian Assange to be expelled withing hours or days.

The abuse case was dropped against him, what are they going to arrest him over now?

Also, going to be interesting - didn’t he promise a bumper information drop if he was arrested?

6 Likes

@pierrechevalier83, @dirvine any thoughts concerning the F* language and its formal verification? In the Evercrypt article Isabelle and Coq are also mentioned. I remember these from a post from @Andre_Gerome (Review of the PARSEC paper).

1 Like

We would love that, but time is a killer for us. After launch and in maintenance mode this makes a lot of sense. Formal verification is great, but we also must remember the mars rover and it’s formally specified code (used spark IIRC) where specifiers were actually ignored :frowning: So yea it would be great but it has a huge time sync. A great project to hive out to a uni if we had the financial resources mind you.

4 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s quite interesting, actually. For those who didn’t watch the video, the presenter is proposing something I would call “AI assisted direct democracy” in which we’d train AI agents to model our personal views and values, and then those agents could answer questions in our place (as we don’t care enough to waste our time on such things, which is empirical fact) with the purpose of voting on legislative decisions. I’m just not sure how close we’re to AI that can bridge the gap between a law, its direct and second-order effects, and one’s personal convictions.

A much simpler, though less futuristic, approach would be using “embeddings”. These are common in AI research to represent vague and possibly innumerable things (such as “meanings” in NLP) into a fixed size representation where similar things are near each other in some sort of virtual space. Nowadays hyperbolic geometry is often considered instead of Euclidean because of its ability to preserve distances between objects in hierarchies or graphs. I know, TMI :laughing: On a second thought, however, this may be very relevant for querying RDF data (EDIT: link added to new thread about that)

Anyway, for our purposes, the votes of those who didn’t vote could default to the average vote of those embedded near them.

3 Likes

It looks like Enigma is also using rust. They have some code for running secret contacts in secure enclaves.

2 Likes

Enclaves unfortunately are not secure. Here is enigma CEO on trying to work around the issue.

3 Likes

PiedPiper coin is on the /r/CryptoCurrency front page today :slight_smile:

1 Like

True and pretty crazy. Do secure processors exist even? Today.

When Spectre and Meltdown were first discovered, Intel’s stance was “they work as designed”, as if not providing the isolation guarantees they were widely understood to have provided was just nitpicking security researchers making too much noise. Not that they could’ve done anything, considering how easy it is (not) to completely redesign all their CPUs.

1.)The government wants the UK to be the safest place in the world to go online, and the best place to start and grow a digital business.

6.) Other online behaviours or content, even if they may not be illegal in all circumstances, can also cause serious harm. The internet can be used to harass, bully or intimidate, especially people in vulnerable groups or in public life. Young adults or children may be exposed to harmful content that relates, for example, to self-harm or suicide. These experiences can have serious psychological and emotional impact. There are also emerging challenges about designed addiction to some digital services and excessive screen time.

12.) Our vision is for:

● A free, open and secure internet

● Freedom of expression online

The list is full of opposing opinions

7 Likes

XML pioneer and early blogger Tim Bray says that Google maybe suffers of deliberate memory loss. I may have found more evidence that this is the case.

Bray writes that: “I think Google has stopped in­dex­ing the old­er parts of the We­b. I think I can prove it. Google’s com­pe­ti­tion is do­ing bet­ter.”

2 Likes

https://www.skycity.net/challenge

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
1 Like

From that piece on China:

It is unclear how closely the government tracks users of Study the Great Nation, but the app requires people to provide a mobile number to register and a national identification number to access videoconference and chat features.

What is unclear at that point? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That SkyCity “challenge” about the “future of housing” is just a bit biased:

We will be judging the participating projects according to several aspects:

• the percentage of BCORE used

It smells like a publicity stunt to promote a product.