What’s up today? (Part 1)

Interesting (but long) article by Ruben Verborgh of Solid in which he argues the Semantic Web is in danger of becoming a backwater because its practitioners have not paid enough attention to its practical application, have ignored developments in Web technology and have got confused as to the technology’s unique strengths.

we consider the core 80% of a hard problem and assume that the remaining 20% is a non-issue. Converting technological research into digestible chunks for developers is considered trivial and outside of our scientific duty. Everything that reeks of pure engineering is shunned.

However, most researchers in our community have not built a single Semantic Web app, so we cannot pretend to understand the insides of that 20%. It is impossible to tell whether the remainder is trivial or not; and many of the experiences above reveal that some of the most complex research problems appear exactly there. But how would we know? We do not get in touch with some of the most pressing issues, because we already ruled them out as trivial, and then wonder about the low adoption of the otherwise excellent 80% research.

13 Likes

Really good info to have. It is critical I think to deliver the vision, to me it is 2 stages. Deliver the platform first, then the hard and important bit, deliver the utility/value/function that people want. Part 2 is kinda out of our hands, but we can listed to those folk (this community for example) and focus on giving them what they want to deliver this critical second phase. This is the kind of thing maidsafe the company has to really get right. We are so focused on part1 that we cannot enter part2 with the same mindset. Part 2 will be more work.

18 Likes

Another reason to decentralise, and an urgent one, which applies to all centralised platforms, not just github:

https://twitter.com/gael_duval/status/1132985466268073985?s=20

7 Likes

Frustrating to see one of the best Crypto Youtuber’s, Ivan on Tech meeting Stratis in London. I feel Maidsafe could get a lot of value reaching out to him to do a interview. He has a very strong following and explains the tech very well.

5 Likes
5 Likes

IOTA has some big announcement that they have solved the issues in their design today: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/bu14dm/iota_announces_coordicide_solution/ , I don’t follow IOTA but apparently people used to hate on them because they had a centralized coordinator but the new proposal does away with that. Anyone more technical and in the know of that project have any ideas of the legitimacy of their solution and if SAFE can benefit at all from their findings?

Edit - The video was just a hype thing and didn’t go into the technicalities of it but I suppose they have an official release that goes into full detail somewhere.

Edit Edit - Found the coordicide white paper - https://files.iota.org/papers/Coordicide_WP.pdf

Edit Edit Edit - Then I watched this interview and had me laughing my ass off hah - IOTA is terrible. Terrible developers, terrible cryptography, broken consensus, - YouTube , although maybe they have solved all the complaints he had already.

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that. Be interested to know what some of the guys here think of it.

I’m sure Maidsafe is already known to the GCHQ people in London, which is only a stones throw from Ayr.

Only if you’ve got a bloody good arm! Anyway, everywhere is a stone’s throw from everywhere else when you have 14 eyes.

4 Likes

Get it right everywhere is a stone’s throw from everywhere else in the UK :rofl::thinking::money_mouth_face:

3 Likes
1 Like
13 Likes

But what will be the price? it is less efficient & windows typically do not point to the sun, so the efficiency drops even more. But mounting will be easier & cheaper i guess?

In EU buildings have to meet high standard to be near zero/ zero emission or positive CO2. This might help Architects to have nice design to achieve it.

Yeah the main problem that I see here is about efficiency. Moreover, to work at best it needs to be always clean
Price should not be so high. Btw imo the idea is great by design

1 Like

Jippy i just went to a meetup of 7 privacy minded people. Unfortunately none of them heard of Maidsafe or the SAFE network, but next month i’ll give them a presentation of the SAFE network. @Sotros25 i probably need your help on this one.

They were all extremely interested in the SAFE network.

https://www.meetup.com/Zoetermeer-Internet-Privacy-Meetup/

:stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Sorry, the group you’re looking for doesn’t exist.

is the group so secret that the page is wiping after each meeting? :smile:

2 Likes

I also get an error when I follow the link, but I’m definitely happy to help out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah we’re all privacy minded and it works like go go gadget.

These kids are really serious about privacy, some are from bitsoffreedom. In the future we can collab with bof to promote the SAFE network. Bof is like EFF.

Go times ahead kids, lets battle eachother we can bring the most people to these meetups.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
3 Likes