What’s up today? (Part 1)

This is all about squashing superior competition. The fact is, I’d rather have a Chinese network than a US created one (nicely back-doored to US intelligence agencies).

I can’t see the Chinese as having any particular reason to worry about my communications and even less reason to do anything about it. Now, the US and its war-mongering anti-freedom deep state is another matter entirely!

1 Like

@Dimitar Is. Awesome.

And now you can watch him in action!

https://twitter.com/safepress/status/1123881606991745028

8 Likes

Maybe the right way to think about these high-density connections isn’t as means for uninterrupted communication. Hardly ever will we need such high bandwidth continuously and the rare times when we would are likely to coincide with the times when we wouldn’t want to move around much anyway (that 4K 3D VR experience is best/safest enjoyed while sitting still with a coffee, right?)

We’ll still have our stable connections at the longer “classic” wavelengths like today and, just like we can carry around a bottle of water and fill it up at a fountain occasionally, our devices will similarly grab a half second of 5G awesomeness to get the next 5-10 minutes of data whenever they catch a glimpse of those mm or shorter waves.

2 Likes
1 Like

Facebook is a private platform with all the right to decide who it does or does not give a voice. I welcome this particular decision as those people used their popularity to spread misinformation and hatred.

At the same time, if we had (purely theoretically :wink: ) a platform where such misinformation not only could not but also would not need to be silenced by some arbitrary authority because every piece of information could be followed back to a primary source (such as an eyewitness) through a trusted chain of real-life relationships (Solid?), I admit that would be a much better solution.

“Be as Good as Your Word” is a pop song featuring young Chinese celebrities who sing about the importance of being ‘trustworthy.’ The new music video is part of a bigger initiative propagating China’s Social Credit System among the younger generation.

https://www.whatsonweibo.com/be-as-good-as-your-word-the-chinese-social-credit-song-is-here/

10 Likes

Eeek. Charlie Brooker must be having a hell of a job keeping his dystopian satire ahead of reality :grimacing:

4 Likes
2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Interesting. What u think about it?

2 Likes

Intuitively it makes sense. I’m guessing most phonetime is spent on social media. Social media makes money by monopolising our attention, and the best way to do that, they’ve found, is to keep us angry and stressed.

1 Like

2 Likes

“Did you see the girl in the red dress?”

10 Likes

Double blow to dark web marketplaces

Over 1 150 000 users and 5 400 vendors on the Wall Street Market
Finnish Customs seized entire web server and contents of Valhalla

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/double-blow-to-dark-web-marketplaces

2 Likes

I was wondering when this will happen only yesterday!

6 Likes

Yeah, the scary part is early on they were looking into if it was possible to get the devs/big miners to essentially help with a fork of bitcoin and rollback the hack. Luckily they quickly realized that was going to not be feasible and would cause even more damage than the 40 mil USD of bitcoin lost. The fact they even considered that and had it on the table is a bit scary to me. Centralized exchanges are certainly an anti-crypto spirit trend that draws in more users daily because of their ease of use and liquidity. Would be awesome if SAFE eventually could run an exchange on the network that was safe for everyone(solving the db part of it will be crazy hard though).

10 Likes

It’s dark times over at the dark web, shutting down Deep dot web is disturbing to me. Yes it listed market places but is information illegal?
Only thing they have to go on is income from affiliate marketing but to me that’s still a grey area.

FBI and Israeli Police Take Down Bitcoin-Enabled Darknet Listings Site

4 Likes

Looks like a good book; a Chinese version of 1984

“In seven dream-like episodes, Ma Jian – the banned Chinese writer hailed as ‘China’s Solzhenitsyn’ – charts the psychological disintegration of a government leader in provincial China who is haunted by nightmares of his violent past. A biting dystopian satire, what Ma Jian reveals is a nation blinded by materialism and governed by violence and lies.
Blending tragic and absurd reality with myth and fantasy, this is not a portrait of an imagined future, but of China as it is today.”

9 Likes

Why is it blinking on MAIDSAFE at 1:21? :wink: (He mentions a DAT mirror @maidsafe keep an eye on this kid when he wants to reflect on the SAFE Network…)

4 Likes