What’s up today? (Part 1)

‘Quantum resistant’ metadata shredding private messaging app by David Chaum, inventor of E-Cash way back when. (Press release)

10 Likes

Major Linux PolicyKit Security Vulnerability Uncovered: Pwnkit

“If no patches are available for your operating system, you can remove the SUID-bit from pkexec as a temporary mitigation,” adds ZDNet. “For example, this root-powered shell command will stop attacks: # chmod 0755 /usr/bin/pkexec.”

1 Like

Not heard of it before but interesting to take note the experience of others as they try to scale.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: photographic memory

He got a photographic memory, but forgot a 4 digits pin

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but not on the SAFE Network as privatedata

7 Likes

We Transfer has been great.

Long term I don’t think I want to hold their shares though.

A dapp on the safenet will replace this entire business.

5 Likes

Discord and Coingecko down… seems others too.
What’s up…today?

Just fyi I can access both

1 Like

Hmmm, I can’t do coingecko looking it up on good old Twitter there are many complaints about both… and others.

Edit: discord is back and it is gecko mobile that is seemingly the issue.

I can access gecko on my mobile.

1 Like

https://nomics.com/ works well, It is a much better site but unfortunately, it does not display MAID correctly. I wrote to them about the problem, maybe if a few more people write to them, they will fix it faster…

Privacy. Security. Freedom

Oooppps… my bad.

2 Likes

Every day vast quantities of encrypted data - including yours and mine - are being harvested without our permission and stored in data banks, ready for the day when the data thieves’ quantum computers are powerful enough to decrypt it.

2 Likes

Journalist Jonathan Cook has a new blog post out on his experience with being throttled into invisibility by Silicon Valley algorithmic suppression that will ring all too familiar for any online content creators who’ve been sufficiently critical of official western narratives over the last few years.

“My blog posts once attracted tens of thousands of shares,” Cook writes. “Then, as the algorithms tightened, it became thousands. Now, as they throttle me further, shares can often be counted in the hundreds. ‘Going viral’ is a distant memory.”

“I won’t be banned,” he adds. “I will fade incrementally, like a small star in the night sky — one among millions — gradually eclipsed as its neighbouring suns grow ever bigger and brighter. I will disappear from view so slowly you won’t even notice.”

Cook says this began after the 2016 US election, which was when a major narrative push began for Silicon Valley corporations to eliminate “fake news” from their platforms and soon saw tech executives brought before the US Senateand told that they must “quell information rebellions” and come up with a mission statement expressing their commitment to “prevent the fomenting of discord” online.

6 Likes

Interesting article on Web3 and privacy issues (w/ Web1 & 2). I didn’t know that Eth transactions were being front-run by miners to such a degree (est. in the 100’s of millions of dollars of value) taken from users. While I’m certain many solutions are in the works, Safe Network and web3 in general jumps over multiple points of failure with existing blockchain tech.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to trying this out.

5 Likes

It’s not just Assange who the US gov wants to “go away” … they have a long list by now. And thanks to the patriot act and similar legislation, they can do it too.

2 Likes

This is good, a 1 minute watch that’s good to share although the source is both interesting and may be too much for some (head of WhatsApp):

8 Likes

I assume this doesn’t only apply to google font hot-linking. Most every website hot-links to some data or code somewhere else on the web … the implications for fines and even the cost of self-hosting everything that is currently hot-linked seems enourmous. IMO, this helps big tech in the long run as they have the resources to self-host everything easily.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how exchanges respond to LTC adopting MimbleWimble which allows:

the network’s users to opt-in to confidential transactions.

Given how exchanges have been removing privacy coins the last few years - hard to say how this will play out for LTC.

Also given that LTC is an early fork of BTC, if MW works on LTC, then BTC or other BTC forks could adopt it as well (probably) without too much tweaking.

4 Likes