What’s up today? (Part 1)

True, I don’t think they intend to change the dirty core of their business too much but they clearly do need to evolve the offering or get left behind.

I hope they fail, but I can imagine people sleepwalking into this new form of tyranny.

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: 3D printed houses

The current cartoon avatars is a technical limitation. The goal is to have 3d scanned (by camera) photorealistic avatars. That is still some years away though.

Videoconferencing is still very different from actually meeting someone. Once you have VR videoconferencing with photorealistic avatars it won’t be.

3 Likes

Interesting thread on how bad marketing can leverage hate, and be a positive technique in disguise. Not sure if it’s useful for MaidSafe it the community, but it’s worth reading all the same (in the context of Meta) and because…

https://twitter.com/jasminaleksic/status/1453981005920935936?s=20

NBER found that the top 10 percent of mining operations control around 90 percent of the Bitcoin mining capacity. What’s more, just 0.1 percent of miners (about 50 operations) are responsible for half of all mining output.

3 Likes

I had similar thoughts myself, particularly when I saw the amateurish logo. I think it’s more likely that it’s a ploy to sideline the Frances Haugen headlines though.

1 Like
11 Likes

Bumped into this today:

At first glance thought it was just another shitcoin … and in many ways it is - website says it’s “decentralized” but really just distributed, and not strongly either from my read.

What’s interesting about it though is that it appears to be a DBC coin and I’m not aware of too many examples out there in the wild, so worth a glance I think.

4 Likes

They say it’s closer to DNS. I found their GitHub CloudCoin Consortium · GitHub but I can’t pin down anything specific to the currency or how it really works.

1 Like

My read of it is that it is functionally a DBC. Coins can be passed offline. There is no blockchain. Coin transfers are verified by their network in a similar way to mints. There is no history – officially at least, but their network is centralized - under the creators authority I think, so one never knows what info they may be keeping.

2 Likes

Right, can’t fully trust the ‘mint’ or sentinels or whatever they are using. Bitcoin is a bearer asset too but obviously different to how things are verified. It would be their verification and central authority that speed them up the most, private transactions amongst the users which is great but like you were getting at, we don’t know what the central authority knows or collects.

They don’t seem to have any documentation on how it all works technically, that I can find anyways. I’d like to know more. I don’t see it as too interesting yet but I like that it’s at least a more novel approach than blockchain. :slightly_smiling_face: Still appreciate the share obviously though cause it’s good to know what’s out there.

3 Likes

Privacy. Security. Freedom

10 Likes
4 Likes

Reads to me like it’s straight out of Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” novel. Everything in collapse and the politicians are falling over themselves creating various legal acts in a futile attempt to central-plan their way out of the mess they’ve created by interfering in the markets in the first place.

Obviously, I don’t think it’s going to end well.

4 Likes

New Zealand agrees to Mickey Mouse copyright law in UK trade deal

5 Likes
3 Likes

Filecoin Virtual Machine!

4 Likes

Seems like a concept that could be adapted to SN @Dimitar?

3 Likes

Well, I don’t understand these complicated technical things, maybe someone as smart as @mav can give an opinion…

2 Likes