What’s up today? (Part 1)

No more investigating … Out of beta .

2 Likes

Lots happening in the world of blockchain. IBM leads with Hyperledger. Let’s hope Maidsafe can work with these behemoths to keep the Safenet relevant.

Not really. I’m surprised this is your viewpoint. IBM has a team of 1500 working blockchain. This is nothing to sneeze at.

Small and micro platforms are excluded from the EU’s Copyright directive scope that is approved today. So not (yet) a problem for the Safe Network in that regard.

2 Likes

So maidsafe will lose this battle because of team size?

It should never be a problem for the safe network. Once it’s running, it’s running. Good luck controlling millions of computers around the globe.

3 Likes

It’d be a first for a company developing a set of protocols (that is what SAFE is). The law can only go after the ones breaking the law and that is the people posting and the companies hosting the forums/blogs/etc. Maidsafe is not the owners of the SAFE network, Maidsafe are protocol writers. Did they try and arrest the developers of Tor when the black markets were all the news? Be a bit like going after the creators of TCP/IP. A lot of very bad things have happened using TCP/IP protocol, think of all the illegal images/materials carried by that protocol which enabled criminals/terrorists to communicate with each other so easily.

Exactly, like the internet was - not own by any one person and SAFE will be owned by itself and buying resources off people.

7 Likes

This of us who have grown up and lived all our lives in democracies think like this @neo and take it as read, but I imagine those will other experiences are not so sanguine.

3 Likes

TechCrunch: Security flaw in ‘nearly all’ modern PCs and Macs exposes encrypted data.

Morgan Stanley Plans to Offer Bitcoin Swap Trading for Clients
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-09-13/morgan-stanley-said-to-prepare-bitcoin-swap-trading-for-clients

It this trend continues, we’ll also have to stop and not kill or terminate processes.
Maybe another argument to not use the word server :wink:

Right to be forgotten… what a ridiculous concept. These politicians are out of their depth and of control.

2 Likes

Indeed. Hence the ‘most’.

IBM has bet big on blockchain as a way of recovering ground lost to Amazon and Google and banks are always looking for advantage with cutting edge tech, so there’s lots of experimenting going on and lots of money being thrown at the experiments but not much to show for it yet as far as I can see.

4 Likes

FTFY (20 chars 20 chars)

1 Like

Tell me more about this please. I’m very interested.

Perhaps move this to another thread if it goes on, but yes the days of ‘no-one ever got fired for buying IBM’ are long gone. In fact if one were to go all in on IBM’s cloud services which are way behind AWS and Azure and Google then the chop could be swift and brutal. IBM have lost the war in the cloud and have ditched their hardware divisions, but they still have a big installed base in large corporations, and particularly banks, so they see blockchain as a way of getting a head of their rivals in their favourite niche. I was reading somewhere recently that initial trials have been disappointing though, and some banks are having second thoughts.

IBM matches Amazon in enterprise cloud and is way ahead of Google. IBM doesn’t compete with Azure on blockchain, in fact Azure hosts the Hyperledger Fabric which is a IBM seed and supported by IBM developers.

IBM recently launched its financial product “IBM Blockchain World Wire” using the Stellar network. This is now out of beta. This will compete with Ripple.

I think it’s fair to say IBM chases noone and is not using blockchain to play catch-up with any enterprise org. In fact it will lead the space as Hyperledger starts working closely with the Ethereum Enterprise with development. (Yeah split this off if you think it deserves a thread)

:stuck_out_tongue:

So which head are they going to get Sorry couldn’t resist the temptation to get one on a excellent grammer person :slight_smile:

5 Likes