What’s up today? (Part 1)

https://summit.digitalscot.live/talks/the-trifecta-of-security-privacy-and-freedom-for-all-the-worlds-data

5 Likes

I’ve long been against the idea of “Dark Matter” … for many gut reasons, but primarily the fact that physicists haven’t been able to determine what dark matter actually is. There are a small number of competing hypotheses including MOND (MOdified Newtonian Dynamic), and QI (Quantitative Inertia). Both of which I favor over Dark Matter. (as an aside I manage the reddit on QI … so I am always on the lookout for new and interesting work in this area.

Anywho … a new publication arrived last month and it’s big news - IMO, it’s a massive nail in the coffin of the DM hypothesis:

lay-person article:

Actual paper:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/abbb96

I look forward to watching the physics community squirm. Yeah, I know … I am Bast***d. :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

4 Likes

Gonna gush about Rust for a sec :slight_smile:

Favorite feature in two words: “Error Handling”

Errors in Rust are damn-near pleasant compared to just about any other language I’ve ever worked with. Considering errors are like 80% (Idk, I made that up. Read: ‘a lot’…) of what programmers deal with on a daily basis, this alone makes the experience markedly smoother!

Maybe I’m just biased though… I use C on the day-to-day, where just about every error seems to cause the program to explode :laughing:

9 Likes

This is my last gripe in our code base, handling or passing up errors. Right now we tend to pass them us which is better than previous (panics!!!). It’s a great task as managing errors and fixing as close to the fault as possible is when we can declare the codebase solid IMO. Then all we worry about at algorithms knowing their implementation is sound and checked.

It’s a huge job but 100% worth it and IMO required that any code base considers error handling as a critical part of production ready.

10 Likes

Rust is on my todo list. I’m mostly a java developer these days, but I do like the idea of learning Rust. When I get some time between contracts, I’ll have to make some time for it!

9 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Don’t sell a good crypto short! Hodl

Zhou Tonged - Hodling (Billy Joel - The Longest Time)

So that’s why I was getting SMS spams claiming it was from Ledger. Fortunately I shipped to a forwarder under a different name.

2 Likes

I have been harrassed ad nauseam for the last month or 2 with constant phishing attempts.
Now our home addresses are out for anyone to see.
Unlikely as it is that anyone would use this info for physical burglaries, I saw a comment that makes sense, those who use hardware wallets generally dont store pocket money so temptation is there.

This whole thing with Ledger is infuriating.

2 Likes

For sensible stuff like this, I recommend using a “virtual office” or a PO Box for delivery, and use a virtual disposable debit card, and VoIP for confirmation.
Also compartmentalizing email addresses saved my ass from sophisticated phishing attempts many times already, as well as helping me track which company has sold my data.

7 Likes

Don’t be so sure and my data is on the list, but luckily I ordered it at a business address years ago.

1 Like

Never underestimate the power of rubber-hose cryptoanalysis

1 Like
4 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen several of those stories. Hence I am very bitter toward Ledger and myself for not being more careful.

Stupidly thought they were better than this.

2 Likes

As long as there is a server…

4 Likes

This is the one I knew about, in Brazil:

I didn’t know that there were more cases like these.

This is why I try to do some “opsec” regarding to my involvement with cryptocurrencies in my real life. Only my closest friends and family know my involvement with cryptocurrencies, from those I let half of them believe I failed and that I lost it all.
To the rest of the people I meet, I just say I am a business consultant and I leave it at that.

2 Likes

They will if he brags about having a large amount of BTC.

That’s where the rubber hose comes in.

1 Like

Super rare planetary alignment of Jupiter and Saturn in the night skies - once in a lifetime event … unless you are immortal.

2 Likes

Deliberate spelling mistakes ( different for each application) have helped me identify who leaked my info.

Always remember kids – Database poisoning can be FUN!!!

4 Likes