What’s up today? (Part 1)

Crypto Exchange Kraken Is Laying Off 57 Employees

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-06/crypto-exchange-kraken-reduces-staff-amid-digital-downturn

Kraken, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges, is laying off 57 North America-based employees, according to Chief Executive Officer Jesse Powell.

The move represents roughly 10 percent of San Francisco-based Kraken’s client services team, Powell said in an emailed response to questions after speculation surfaced on social media platform Reddit that Kraken employees were laid off because of a security breach. The thread also mentioned the exchange was reducing staff after trading volumes had dropped.

3 Likes

I mean, If you want to focus the discussion on a specific news you can create a single topic (like it’s already done for Thursday-dev updates for example). Nobody will prevent you from doing that :wink:

Btw, I made this thread in order to group news together, so it will be easy for people to scroll the thread and find a specific news. Or simply discover Whats Up in the world everyday

3 Likes

repeat :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

That’s a great explainer video - nice one @dugcampbell

10 Likes

Thanks @JPL - but really @SarahPentland takes the credit on this one, she did all the hard work!

12 Likes

What is the Byzantine Generals Problem?

I know, dont like dbl posting wherever possible.
Was seeing if I am alone in that opinion.
I do like this thread :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

RTs appreciated…

WARNING: contains bugs :bug:

13 Likes

Marketing SAFE Network

2 Likes

Actually Anon is a pretty good movie exploring a world where there is total surveillance (through each person’s eyes) and the case where there are some who hack the system. What she says at the end is actually good for a movie.

2 Likes

More on the Dweb Summit - no mention of MaidSafe unfortunately :frowning_face: but good to see decentralization getting more of a look in these days.

Edit: … although the comments below the piece show that most people still don’t have the first clue.

10 Likes

DWeb”, 23 matches?

Urban Dictionary

Top definition

dweb by bill kapok March 16, 2005

Combination of “web” and “dweeb”. Individual who spends the majority of their waking hours on the internet. In particular, they indulge in posting links to deliberately disgusting or obscene websites throughout forums, and/or seek “hook-ups” in chatrooms.

hacks.mozilla.org:

What’s the “D” in Dweb?!

The “d” in “dweb” usually stands for either decentralized or distributed.

I think it’s more that “most” people don’t really care. Nothing is really upsetting the masses to the point where getting off the clearnet is a priority. This is the biggest challenge for Maidsafe marketing.

What’s the impetus to change the way the larger population interacts with the rest of the population and those that are dependant on the companies using g the clearnet?

Edit: Answer: currently there is no impetus. This is the challenge for the Maidsafe marketing crew. Find that sweet spot and ride it till the cows come home.

9 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.ccn.com/why-ethereum-co-creator-believes-days-of-1000x-crypto-growth-is-gone/amp/

Vitalik Buterin says the days of 1000% price growth in Cryptos are gone. He didn’t say anything about 500% price for something that is extraordinary and not blockchain based

1 Like

Its interesting that people say the golden days are over during the downturns and ETH is going through a large downturn. Then when it all explodes then people say it’ll reach fanciful amounts.

8 Likes

To Ethereum disciples that may mean something :wink:
The entire crypto market valuation is a fifth of Apple’s… lots of room for growth.

7 Likes

I stumbled upon this video of Jesse Lund (IBM head of Blockchain solutions) its old April 2018 still I am very surprised by how much interest he claims banks actually have in Blockchain.
Opened my eyes somewhat.