What’s up today? (Part 1)

It would not be so high if England hadn’t crashed into us a few hundred million years ago :smiley: :smiley: (Scotland comes from Canada and England broke off from Europe apparently)

6 Likes

A keen loss. His book ‘Debt: the first 5000 years’ should be required reading for all. He was an incredibly skilled anthropologist, an excellent writer, a great political mind, and, by all accounts, an excellent human being.

2 Likes

You mean Brexit, the very first one? :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: who reviews natural structures? Bizarre! They would be better off at Disney Land! Ha!

4 Likes

I thought that review was very useful. I mean, you clamber all the way up there and not even a whisky!

Mind you, he didn’t mention mobile internet so could have been more thorough.

5 Likes

At least I already told you there is whiskey at the foot :wink:

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Very nice static code analysis through visualisation. Aimed at large multi-language codebases but also useful for spotting problems in any large codebase I would think.

https://blog.korny.info/2020/09/06/introducing-the-polyglot-code-explorer.html

Useful adjunct to SemGrep:

1 Like

Active Covid cases by English postcode

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076

16 months after elections at last positive news from the efforts in trying to form a (non emergency) full Belgian government: the Covid test of the main negotiator of the moment.

There is locked covid-19 megathread so I will past it here:

Stories of thousand Australians citizens unable to travel home due strict daily limit on international airports and limited capacity to about 1/10 of each flight.

Some of them are with out visa, money and hope to get home anytime soon.

2 Likes

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/money-laundering/globalization.html

"Identified cases of laundering through cryptocurrencies remain relatively small compared to the volumes of cash laundered through traditional methods,”
SWIFT said, however, that the use of cryptocurrency for laundering stolen bank funds will rise in the future.
“Favorable factors include the growing number of altcoins (alternative cryptocurrencies) that have recently launched and which focus on providing full transaction anonymity,” it noted.

4 Likes

or “art”…

3 Likes

exactly… or ‘real estate’ etc. A million larger scale and harder to trace means of laundering money. It’s not really about preventing criminality though, it’s more about keeping control of the money system

2 Likes

I love it when I see people jumping in to help! Thanks @Scorch!

https://github.com/maidsafe/safe-vault/pull/1090

18 Likes

A long time coming, but times may be about to be a changing…

5 Likes

Agreed, I think the community aspect and feeling of working towards a common goal is what makes open source so compelling! Glad to take part in that process along with everybody here :slight_smile:

12 Likes

The reason Safe Harbor has been found incompatible with EU law is that US government agencies have access to EU citizens’s data without due process. To avoid this jeopardy, other jurisdictions only have to meet certain standards of data privacy.

I’m not suggesting those standards are adequate. I don’t accept that other countries are put in an impossible situation by the EU data privacy provisions.

The EU were happy with Safe Harbor (whether we were or not) until a private individual demonstrated that it didn’t meet the standards the EU had set.

4 Likes

Microsoft have open sourced their distributed data framework. Different to CRDTs, in that it relies on a server to provide ordering of charges which are sent to the clients.

There could be value for Safe here by replacing the backend with Safe CRDT data types and using the distributed application framework to build decentralised apps for Safe, or adapt other apps already built using it so they work with Safe as the backend. This would be worth investigating.

Code:

8 Likes