What’s up today? (Part 1)

Are we counting Safari?

It is cool, I’m probably still not going to use edge though.

2 Likes

Why would it be doomed?
This is exactly the reason this project exists.

3 Likes

Impression is everything these days. If the prevailing public view is that SAFE Network is anything akin to Tor I fear it will be relegated to the same kind of small, dedicated cadre of users that sustain Tor, and SAFE will never make it into the mainstream. That impression could also cause management to spend more time defending the network than growing it.

1 Like

Edge is mostly used to download firefox or Chrome browser

I will never trust a microsoft developed browser. I bet they will still have custom code in it to (unintentionally??) break security.

7 Likes

Just another example for being really smart and a complete fool at the same time…

1 Like

Yep, I share your concern, that’s why I feel it is critical to build legitimate uses of the networks first for enterprises before the dark web users start using for their illegal stuff.

It is the difference in the narrative from:

• this amazing useful network that has unfortunately been co-opted by criminals.

To:

• This criminal network.

How it gets perceived will help or hurt the mass adoption.

3 Likes

On the right side of history…

4 Likes

Interesting, Rust security related.

3 Likes

bandwich a terminal based tool for examining network usage. User friendly and written in Rust…

Get this for when we have vaults at home - I think it will be very useful.

For Ubuntu:

You need Rustc v1.39 or later so if you have rustup, rustup update will give you the latest version of Rustc:

rustup update && cargo install bandwhich && sudo ln -s ~/.cargo/bin/bandwhich /usr/local/bin/

Then to use it:

sudo bandwhich
9 Likes

Nice! That looks useful in general too!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Typical from the ICO…

2 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Was on my to do list - bandwhich looks interesting…

Looking now there is also trickle for setting process limits and wondershaper for limiting interfaces.

example

If you are using Firefox as your browser, then limit its downloading capacity to 25 KB/s, and upload badwidth to 15 KB/s.
$ trickle -d 25 -u 15 firefox

3 Likes

If I understand it correctly, that ‘Smoke-testing’ article caused a (new) discussion concerning usage of ‘unsafe’ Rust code by Actix on Reddit. And that made the maintainer of Actix becoming inactive in open source.

6 Likes

OSS is very hard, you need to be able to receive immense critisism, via forums, twitter, email and much more. If you had ego then after a few years it’s gone and rightly so. It’s a constant chore, but if you look at it right, it’s a good chore. As long as you can take walks by the river or feed some animals or something every so often.

Bottom line, if you go public then expect hell, it will come. There is always a smart ass and opinionated fools/scammers to contend with but there is such amazing intelligence if that is what you seek, I do.

26 Likes
5 Likes

@drehb Has that company improved their product fulfillment. I never received a number of parts from their original crowdsale they did with their pine64.

3 Likes

Really? That sucks. I don’t know and I’ve never ordered from them. This phone looks tempting though

1 Like

Somebody is not happy about the shadow DOM which from this I understand is to do with Web Components:

I created a topic on the Dev forum to discuss the pros and cons of Web Components:

2 Likes