What router configuration is needed for farming?

I understand SAFE operates over random ports, so presumably this means we need to ensure a range of ports is available and open.

Will we need to open ports on home routers?

Can the team say anything more about this and any other router settings will be required?

2 Likes

We automatically punch through routers so there should be no configuration required. It’s another nice side effect.

4 Likes

I’ve just been configuring a router - a really awful old one (for ssh) so I’m intrigued how is that achieved (ELI5 if poss :-))?

EDIT: I guess the same Q for firewalls?

1 Like

Take MaidSafe anywhere you go. with a NAT router;

If every device (or more than usual as a result of SAFE Network) used a NAT router built in we would run out of IP4s
Is it in the genesis to implement IP6 to work with MaidSafe?

currently reading: http://maidsafe.net/Whitepapers/pdf/DHTbasedNATTraversal.pdf

We use hole punching and a kind of stun server, although in maidsafe fashion no stun server (or any servers).

1: So a node sends a udp packet (router keeps the port open for 20-30 secs as udp is connectionless, it needs to wait on reply).

2: Routing picks this up and tells the other node the IP:PORT to connect to.

3: The other node has done the same and its nodes pick up its ip:port

4: The nodes connect (via a connection called rendezvous)

5: Router traversed and the network can talk to the node through the router :slight_smile:

There is a longer explanation here

Its pretty cool and a nightmare for p2p networks etc. This was a big thing when we got it all working.

5 Likes

Based on Peer to Peer Public Key Infrastructure Paper;

Will the log in the router store:
If there are no such entries, we store
the identity precursor value Kpub1 + SigKpriv2 (Kpub1)
at the
key Hash(Kpub1 + SigKpriv2 (Kpub1))

Therefore; the actual IP:PORT will not be discoverable?

1 Like

Only we cache these between sessions, so if you were connected then you can reconnect.

1 Like

This is greatly explained here; Thanks for that.

This + reading how Hole Punching, and “Peer to Peer” Public Key Infrastructure + the MaidSafe Distributed Hash Table = greatness.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining David (@dirvine), that’s amazing!

And to think I built a DNS based on using ftp to share IP addresses and insert them into hosts files so I can ssh to my odroids :-).

2 Likes

How are your oriods?

Well, I messed up the network i/f on one so it is awaiting surgery, meanwhile the other is idling and pushing its IP address to me here on my boat so I know its alive and well, but obvs not farming yet. I’ll probably set them both up with disks at the weekend. Can’t wait for testnet2!

1 Like

Will the hole punching use any open port? I am in a building that provides internet but blocks many (if not all) peer-to-peer ports. Should I be able to farm with this limitation?