What is your favorite name for a SafeCoin analogy to BTC’s Satoshi? (reboot) divs = irvines, troons, and ayrs?

I would so tip you a Scent rn to make you feel better :heart:

We can have a name for a 1/100 Safecoin and another for a 1/100 million (1×10−8), but that is just my 2 scents :wink:
Also we don’t have to copy paste the Bitcoin units, you could also call it 10 SafeNanos.

I am ok with dirvini and voted for that, although what about Safebits?

ants …? maybe? :smiley: (i would love to have ants xD The ants go marching one by one song | Ants at war - YouTube)

1 Like

Or just “divs

Take it as short for divisions or dirvines/divines

EDIT: Yea one syllable works better than multiple. eg cents, pence

1 Like

Yes, divs, a simple efficient description. Better than dirvs, not as cute as divi. It is growing on me… referring to the most basic unit of safecoin divisibility ie. maximum divisions (whether that be at least 2^32 divs or maybe 2^248 as in the project safe doc, depending on final implementation). Coincidentally it also sounds like a name for a sharp pointy object, which may lead to a good marketing gimmick, or just reinforce the idea of repeatedly cutting/dividing a safecoin. Also sounds like “dibs” which in American is slang for “I own that”. Also coincidentally, divine has been referred to by name multiple times on this forum by accident or otherwise over the years…

3 Likes

Safetoshi? As previously mentioned in this topic by @whiteoutmashups :grin:

I suppose Davetoshi would be a good option as well haha

2 Likes

What about fena? Safe + Nano

1 Like

Haha I forgot all about SAFEtoshi :stuck_out_tongue:

Rolls off the tongue quite nicely

And a nice, respectful tip-of-the-hat to the first major crypto project built inside

3 Likes

I swear I read that, like 3 times, as “make you smell better”.

As for divs, it’s short, quick, but also maybe sounds like a drug. “Hey man you got some divs? I could use some divs right now.”

3 Likes

afbeelding

6 Likes

How about “divine”? :rofl:

1 Like

How about “vine” then.

1 Like

Fen is a Chinese cent.

“Can you spare some devs?” SAFE will always need more software developers…

I guess depending on your accent or how you say the words, divs and devs can both be pronounced or emphasized like “deves” or “deevs”, as well as pronounciation for divisible->“deevisible”, divine -->“deevine”. But then the base unit might sound too much like dweebs… (although recent market trends are reclaiming this derogatory term for software devs and math/sci/tech geeks from hollywood more and more…) :wink:

You could always shorten the word even more to “d”, “di” or “dee” with pleural pronounced like deez. “That burger and fries will be 50ds please.” But that reduction could also subconsciously leave people feeling repulsed by rhyming with sneeze or sleaze. I just sneezed when I wrote this.

“With enough lunch for three, Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee head out to the sea at 6:43…” (my kids’ favorite book series)

We’re still too technical about it. Let’s use feelings.

What would be the smallest unit of feeling completely safe? I say “joy” at worst. There’s also a connection to “division”. No David though.

The MAIDsafe logo kinda reminds me of Celtic knots. Is there no good sounding short term in Celtic mythology?

How about “druid”? :rofl:

I voted for

dirvinoshi

because LOL!

Edit: I like div.

Did you mean the way in which div for “division” in addition to mathematics can also be a slang play on words for “the vision”? (or “two visions” I suppose…)

That was not in my mind at that moment, but there you go. We seem to always come back to div or divs one way or another.

Based on the poll results and the commentary that followed, I decided to propose the following structure for discussion. I’m not sure if this qualifies as a draft “micro RFC”?

A naming scheme and fractional denomination convention for Safecoin divisibility.

Summary:

In accordance with the specifications set forth in the Project SAFE whitepaper and related documentation, we define the total population of Safecoin as that represented by a 32bit address space, yielding the total number of Safecoin in existence to be 2^32 = 4294967296. Any Safecoin can be subdivided into an additional 2^32 subunits, each of which shall be known as irvine by definition. This forms a primary non-decimal fractional denomination system.

In consideration of potential future requirements for higher order divisibility, we define the unit irvine to be subdivided into an additional 2^32 subunits, each of which are referred to as a troon. Lastly, a single troon is subdivided futher into an additional 2^32 subunits, each of which are referred to as an ayr forming a tertiary non-decimal fractional denomination system. Any or all fractional denominations used for Safecoin divisibility will be commonly referred to as a div or divs in pleural form. A total resolution for the entire population of Safecoin in existence that is greater than 128bits will not be considered at this time.

• 1 Safecoin = 4294967296 irvine(s)
  • 1 irvine = 4294967296 troon(s)
  • 1 troon = 4294967296 ayr(s)

Abreviations

• Safecoin : S
  • irvine : irv
  • troon : tro
  • ayr : ayr

Alternate abbreviations generated by changing case or reducing letter count lead to naming conflicts with other terms in common parlance. (Ex. sans or serif font where s=second, t=time, i=imaginary, a=angstrom, Sc=Scandium)

Symbols

• Safecoin : TBD, candidates include Ⓢ, 𝕊, 𝔖, or Ꞩ .
  • irvine : TBD, candidates include ⓘ, 𝕚, 𝔦 .
  • troon : TBD, candidates include ⓣ, 𝕥, 𝔱 .
  • ayr : TBD, candidates include ⓐ, 𝕒, 𝔞, Δ .

By convention, abbreviations or symbols should always follow numeric quantities separated by a space. This adheres to a similar notation used for common scientific units such as kilograms or newtons or ratios thereof. (Ex. One-hundred Safecoin = 100 S, One-thousand troons = 1000 tro, “The fixed internal exchange rate is naturally 2^32 𝕒/𝕥”). It is anticipated that these will not be misconstrued as common scientific or math symbols if portrayed in a unique font or if a common mathematical symbol is rare or esoteric to most users (ie. 𝕊 for Sedenion sets).

Justifications:

1. The total 128 bit address space described above is the minimum bit depth that allows for Safecoin resolution that is approximately infinite according to IEEE 754. Forum discussions on a minimum acceptable amount of Safecoin divisibility echo similar concerns regarding minimum allowable ipv6 resolution. Ultimately it was decided to go with a 128bit address space for ipv6. Following this same standard for Safecoin divisibility provides a second means for justification and easy media optics, since a Safecoin resolution equivalent to ipv6 resolution builds on the same foundation of accepted reasoning.

2. The naming choice for the different Safecoin div denominations ie. irvine(s), troon(s), and ayr(s) results from a simple investigation of the geographic locale’s in Ayrshire, Scotland where (presumably) the majority of SAFE Network development/innovation has occurred. This choice is analogous to the way in which novel chemical elements on the periodic table are often named after the geographic location where they were discovered. (ex. Strontium, Tennessine, Europium, Californium, Livermorium, etc )

3. The common term div is used to refer to any one of these denominations and serves as an easy means to describe some type of division or divisible unit of a Safecoin. Thus, an irvine is a type of div, a troon is a type of div, and an ayr is also a type of div; they’re simply divs of different magnitude.

Decimal vs. Non-Decimal Denominations

Some users consider a direct decimal system to be preferred over a non-decimal denomination system. In this case only a subset of the total address space within each denomination can be used. This would allow for 1e9 irvines/S, 1e9 troons/irvine, and 1e9 ayrs/troon. The use of a decimal vs. binary denomination system has pros and cons where either one causes round-off when converted in terms of the other. It would seem that there is little need to limit the resolution in this fashion by going with a straight 1:1 decimal system since any decimal value in terms of Safecoin would be accurate to 96bit precision if a binary denomination system is employed, and fixed point integer mathematics for 3 binary subdivisions is also rather straightforward. Furthermore, direct decimal denominations would appear to superficially break with the initial Safecoin whitepapers that described a system capable of at least 2^32 primary divs per Safecoin. It is therefore more logically consistent to follow an identical 2^32 secondary div per primary div scheme for higher order levels of divisibility.

Additional Naming Conventions:

Following justification #2, alternatives for unit div denominations are irvinium, troonium, and ayrium, although it is more appropriate to only employ these terms when refering to a large set of irvines, troons, or ayrs. (Ex. Future Collector A says, “How much troonium would you like for that great digital artwork?” Future Artist B responds, “It’s not that much in demand so just send 2^6 troons and we’ll be square.”) Although more controversial, for consistency the same could be said for the definition of a singular term used for describing the total set/population of all 2^32 Safecoins (ex. Safe, Safenion, Saferium, Safenium).

MapOfAyrshire2
image source

1 Like