What is Launch? The Language of Roadmap Milestones

Fear not, they are part of our accounts so they cannot be forgotten. It was not an informal thing, nothing is with us when money is concerned. So it’s all recorded and has to be acted on as it’s a liability for the company as it has to be.

Plus, there is no way on this earth I would forget those who allowed us to get to this point. We owe them much more than a 50% return in num coins or whatever that will mean in actual $ value etc. We owe much more than that also to folk who did not participate, but those who continued to believe and trust us to give this our best shot. We have given it our best shot and thank god at least the tech hurdles look to be cleared now. At least to get a network up and that network to be what we presented in 2014 and earlier. Not the abomination of a total order classical consensus hallucination. We probably had to go through that period, but I wish we did not have to.

Bottom line, folks stuck by us in many ways, we kept going and here we are. It’s time to thank everyone for this and more than that it’s time to give the world this technology.

27 Likes

EthClassic is worth 1/100 of Eth, Bitcoin forks less than that or completely dead. My thinking is - who are entities with resources to maintain fork of Safe and push it to lot of people?

• Corporations like Amazon or Microsoft - they have money and people, but they want control over customers, I see them likely blocking Safe on their infrastructure than running their own fork

• States - China especially, makes sense for them to make Safe fork with backdoor and push that to people to stay in control, not good for people in China, but not life threatening for our global Safenetwork.

• Small teams of greedy people - they may create a lot of confusion which can be problem itself, but I don’t believe they will be willing to spend enough in the long term to have fighting chance with the original.

Of course that is only how I see it and I could be completely missing something.

1 Like

Already gave an example of someone.

There are groups as well that may be keen if they can convert their slow blockchain token over to become speedy DBC’s.

In fact I can imagine a lot of companies in this space already who will see that as a major win if their ego’s aren’t too big.

I hope that Maidsafe or someone finds a way to offer other tokens to convert to DBC’s on the Safe Network - so that we can head that off at the pass and be able to not only offer fast and cheap (or free) transactions, but also in-network exchange of all the major tokens.

But maybe I’m just dreamin’.

4 Likes

This is already in the works.

Forking will always be a possibility. The main thing is making the network resilient, useful, and widely adopted/able.

Also note, you can’t fork the data, nor the tx history, so any fork would be starting from scratch.

17 Likes

:clap: :tada: :smiley: :popcorn:

9 Likes

@Dimitar highlighted this years ago.

4 Likes

Don’t forget about bank to the future USB sticks too. :joy:

2 Likes

I am sure we can get somebody of that for a few weeks at some stage. I cannot remember the whole thing, but I do remember USB Sticks. I Wonder how many folk would trust that now mind you? Maybe easier to send them via Safe instead :smiley: Give folks some other token as a minding

11 Likes

Surely if we are only at stage one on this road map each test net would take approximately a year ,so would it be fair to say we are at least 5 to 6 years from full launch?

1 Like

So no need for you to come back for another five years.

2 Likes

There is question mark there for a reason ,5 to 6 years is my guess merely asking what other members think.

You have my answer.

2 Likes

Well it would be nice to think it will be in next 5 years fingers crossed :blush:

It’s absolutely no indication of a timescale, it’s just aligning on language for what we are calling the milestones.

13 Likes

Call me an optimist - I’ve been insulted worse, but:

I am thinking that step 2 could be complete in 2-3 months. Step 3 another 2-3 months; step 4 and 5 a month or so each; and then we are at public launch and full network.

I’m probably crazy on this though - never been right before. Eventually I will be! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

But it’s Eth who forked EthClassic, not the other way around! So, rather a pessimistic example :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe I’m paranoid, but is there a plan for the team to change the location, get together and maybe finish the work on neutral ground, in some place like Switzerland (a la the original Ethereum crew)? These times aren’t free speech friendly. With initiatives like Restrict Act S.686 or C.11, I can imagine the western quarters reacting in a non-welcoming way if this project gains enough notoriety before the actual launch.

3 Likes

If there was they wouldn’t be able to tell you. :thinking:

2 Likes

There’s been plenty’o-time for that and crickets. Being we are in the home-stretch now, hoping it’ll slip through.

Once the network is launched the code can go onto the network itself and be free forever. :tada:

3 Likes

That’s a fair and funny point, so I’ll take it as “they’re smart”.

1 Like