What if the MAID project fails?

I don’t think so – From what I can tell, the philosophy is more “modular” all around… That isn’t necessarily bad, as one size fits all isn’t always the best — And when you build something full featured like SAFE – You introduce a billion variables all at once – and it is hard to control… It is much easier to introduce one feature at a time and once you know that they work solidly integrate two or three of them together into one package…

Eating the elephant one bite at a time doesn’t mean you aren’t going to eventually eat the whole elephant.

All and all, I think SAFE is a better solution - but the best solutions don’t always win…

Don’t get me wrong. I think IPFS is super cool and I’m happy to see it go forward, and will be happy if it gets traction.

I think SAFE is a huge leap in so many ways, and because it is a unique platform it has some advantages.

It’s all moving in the same direction, which is what I really care about.

To answer the topic. If the SAFE project fails to deliver or fails to get foundational adoption, it is at least a vision of the right direction on a grand scale. I think that just it’s existence and the vision (along with deliverables) sets a high bar for others to aspire to, and so even if it doesn’t come off as we all are hoping and planning for it to, it is influencing the entire field.

But me, I’m counting on success.

3 Likes

You say that on the day of another big release?

Whatever – progress is being made everyday… And it is tangible and testable if you look…

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

I disagree with that. There’s a POC that shows that the ideas actually work. You can run your local network, use the DNS, upload a website to your network etc. You can also find a big bunch of code on GitHub. The topic below shows you the proof of concept tested by a great number of people here on the forum on different operating systems.

5 Likes

The currency is a separate issue.

I don’t think the price effects development one way or another.

3 Likes

Correlation does not imply causation.

1 Like

If maidsafe fail to get the project over the line, then someone else can pick it up. It is open source and all in the repository for anyone to take a copy of.

However, I don’t know what the doom/gloom is about. Good software takes time and often longer than you hope. The team seem to have everything under control too.

Bitcoin booming is draining other projects a bit, but in fiat money, the maid price isn’t too shabby. It is still more than IPO, despite being the lowest for a good while.

4 Likes

Walled garden? It is open source and you can choose to run apps which don’t use safe net alongside those which do. I am not sure why this could be considered a walled garden. Everything is very open.

There is little to stop devs using a mixture of other technologies alongside safe net. Granted, you may lose some of the security benefits, but that may be a reasonable compromised (especially considering existing internet security).

2 Likes

Well, the way I understand it you log in, you get your SAFE environment, then you log out and that environment disappears… The stuff within SAFE is within SAFE and cannot be accessed from outside SAFE and the stuff outside SAFE can be brought inside, but not really interacted with. Website builders will have to choose to put their content into SAFE or it will not be available in SAFE…

In short, SAFE will be it’s own little world, and we will have to convince people and content providers to join the cult. Like asking “Do you accept bitcoin?” at every pizza joint and coffee shop you visit. Building new websites, particularly on new technologies isn’t a simple thing – and unless it helps them reach a key audience it will be an uphill battle to get people to invest the time and effort.

I could be wrong – Perhaps API’s will allow a seamless transition. Some of the other overlapping technologies are being architected in such a way that existing websites can change to a P2P hosted system with the end users not needing to even so much as notice… This would be ideal, but hard to do keeping the enormous level of security SAFE provides…

SAFE is better in a lot of ways, but the best horse doesn’t always win.

Maid project will fail in the long term if the app Dev do not support it by inventing new and interesting way’s to interact with the world.
Maid is like nice piece real estate land stuck out of town it has promise, but if it has no good services and a dirt road. Only the hard core believers will go there to live. many may say they want to go live over at the ethereum land sale.

What maidsafe needs quality and not quantity because it will be forked by an talented app dev. If I was the maidsafe foundation I would be reinvesting in it talented team after the release and continue to grow safe network features.

The human race will support safe network because they wants something different, they will not come because they want to see a clone of the internet.

1 Like

I think your right, the network will begin like this. I guess overlapping with other technology’s is an important strategy and should not be overlooked, the open API should aim to make this possible to do in the future.

I don’t think it needs to be this way at all.

Safe websites can include URLs to legacy internet sites, at the http part of the URL dictates this.

Moreover, as long as the launcher is running (on boot, as a service, etc), any app can use the network. This can be a stand alone Windows app, command line Linux app, etc. These apps can interact with any other apps, just as regular apps do.

In short, safe apps will be very much like any other to the user - they will just use the launcher as a gateway in the background.

3 Likes

A walled garden means something very different to what you describe. Also, you don’t have to join or log into safe to access public content. It’s like saying the web is a walled garden because you have to download a free open source web browser to access it.

A walled garden implies some third party deciding who can enter and plant stuff inside. Whereas in SAFEnetwork anyone can do this, and no-one can stop them - SAFE is the opposite of a walled garden IMO. Apples App Store, and Amazon’s Kindle are walled gardens.

The only “wall” around SAFEnetwork is for your security, and anyone can obtain a key to move in and benefit from this without hindrance or permission from anyone else.

3 Likes

To be fair, if google can’t web crawl Safenet, or it won’t because using the launcher app at google’s scale isn’t worth the compute power used, then it’s enough of a walled garden to be dead on arrival until that issue is fixed.

From .bit example we know the answer to that question.

Edit: I should also point out that most .bit sites (there aren’t many, but %-wise) have stuff that can be searched, and have IP addresses. SAFE public sites could be searchable by search engines, but private ones not, and in order to search SAFE addresses, search engines would probably have to make modifications to their code which for a large search engine is a significant effort. (+ corrected typos)

2 Likes

I don’t think the effort is the barrier here, more likely it’s the low reward. Either way, it isn’t a bad thing IMO as I’d rather have new kids on the block building search apps directly in SAFEnetwork than google stomping in and dominating search here too.

1 Like