What features should the Maidsafe Browser have?

We’ve talked before about the Maidsafe Browser. But it would be a start to talk about the lego blocks that you/we would like to see the Maidsafe browser have.

I for one, think it would be great if the Maidsafe Browser supported:

• Tor sites
  • Namecoin, P2P and BitDNS
  • MeshedSites
  • And every new decentralized DNS setup

It’s actually nothing but logic, that we should have a browser supporting all these decentralized domains. At the end of the day we’re all on the same team.

Extension wise I would like to see these by default:

These are more related to when you visit the old internet.

Sometimes I think, why not let this browser be an OS and enable it to installed every application/app out there on it? It would be nice to have something like Linux’s “Wine”, but just totally invisible. You could just install a Windows application/Android app or Mac OS application and it would just run. Ideally the Maidsafe network would provide you CPU/GPU etc to run the application. The thing is, this OS should also be lightweight because you want to install it on the internet of things.

Maybe the browser should also have a pay to install a plugin. This would have 2 advantages, first some one can’t just install an app on your browser, for that they’ll need access to your Safecoin wallet. Second your directly paying the developer of the app, to keep up the good work. With the existing browser some people can just install stuff on your browser without your knowledge and not all developers get paid for their hardwork.

Why would you need TOR? Why blocking scripts?? You want to use the browser for the normal web and the SAFE-network both? I really like Maidsafe because it’s something completely new. No http, no FTP etc.
I think that the program will come with a name-registration, and an alternative DNS and a Wallet at the same time.
I hope to start the client and see:

• Apps - Like a decentralized Youtube, a wikipedia-like searchengine etc.
  • Browser - a way to browse SAFE:// websites. No need to block scripts, only safe scipts used.
  • Wallet - my personal wallet with a transaction history etc,
  • Vaultmanager - provide me with some settings. Will I share 20 gig? A 100 gig?

I think Maidsafe will be much faster than TOR. So the great sites will copy themselves into something like SAFE://mysecureblog
very fast. It’s probably way more secure for them as well.

2 Likes

[quote=“polpolrene, post:2, topic:1702”]
Why would you need TOR? Why blocking scripts??[/quote]

Because there are more then 2 million people out there using it. It would also be great to have a browser, that support the internet’s many layers.

Because some people prefer to block scripts.

Ooh yeah I must not forget CJDNS:

I can’t believe that this was more then 2 years ago.

What makes me HATE the current internet, is things like this Arstechnica article. Ineffecient/Arrogant people. If there is a new way of doing stuff faster/better it should be implemented right away.

Even Convergence.io and Dnschain should find a place on the Maidsafe browser IMHO. The current internet/browsers need to get their ass kicked and I really hope that we can see improvements.

Whenever a web standard comes out and it’s better we should implement it.

Oooh keee I admit, that I don’t fully support the convergence idea. Because it’s simply replacing CA’s with yet other people, who 3 letter acronym aggressors can still beat into submission.

Looks like some browser vendors might start including Tor.

Article can be found on Gizmodo:

It’s no secret that everybody’s thinking about privacy and cyber security more since the world was pummeled with the unsettling, spy-novel truths of the Snowden revelations. Now, companies are starting to seize onto the zeitgeist by building more secure tools for the internet. And it sounds like Tor will be at the front of that line.

The Tor anonymity network is in talks with “several major tech companies” about integrating its technology into their software, according to the Daily Dot. One of those companies, the Daily Dot’s Patrick Howell O’Neill, is Firefox, and that integration might come in the form of a Tor button that would enable anonymous browsing for hundreds of millions of people. Again, it’s unclear if this major tech company is indeed Firefox, but Tor executive director Andrew Lewman offered some hints.

“They very much like Tor Browser and would like to ship it to their customer base,” said Lewman. “Their product is 10-20 percent of the global market, this is of roughly 2.8 billion global Internet users.” Lewman added, “[The tech companies are] willing to entertain offering their resources to help us solve the scalability challenges of handling hundreds of millions of users and relays on Tor.”

This sounds like a great idea! Indeed, Firefox does have between 10 and 20 percent of the global browser market, and Mozilla, the nonprofit that builds the open source browser, is certainly interested in issues like privacy and security. Last year, Mozilla launched Lightbeam as an add-on that helps users visualize who’s collecting data from them. A similar add-on that offers increased privacy or even total anonymity makes perfect sense. The Daily Dot calls it an “easy Tor button.” We call it genius.

But even if it’s not Firefox, it would be a smart move for any browser to take advantage of Tor’s anonymity network. Easy integration into a popular browser would not only offer better privacy for millions; it would also encourage more people to think about cyber security. We already saw this earlier this year, when Apple announced that it would integrate DuckDuckGo, the anonymous search engine, into Safari for iOS 8. This is in addition to new, improved encryption in iOS 8.

Tor: The Anonymous Internet, and If It’s Right for You
Since the revelations about NSA spying came to the surface earlier this summer, everybody’s…
Read more
If anything, turning Tor into a mainstream resource means that everybody enjoys better security. The Tor network works like a daisy chain that puts distance between the user and their destination, so that hackers or spies can’t trace who’s doing what on the internet. The longer that daisy chain gets, the harder it is to identify the person on the other end. Although as we learned a few months ago, it’s not impossible to identify Tor users. Still, it’s much harder.

So regardless of who’s doing it, you should be excited by the idea of more Tor integration. It’s a boon for your privacy and good for cyber security. And hopefully, it’s just around the corner.

1 Like

We need a browser that retains complete control over the end user interface and doesn’t cooperate with attempts to determine what browser is being used in order to deny access to content because ads won’t be shown. Its been said that this would require a SAFE OS, maybe so but it can be built that with that in mind.

No website or outside party should ever be able to cause anything modal (also don’t use modal windowing internal to the program) or control the back/forward, scrolling, volume, zoom, panning, the camera or the mic. These are as basic as privacy and preventing games with history and cookies. Dis-incentivising and removing sponsorship models from the net is key reversing oppression.

1 Like