What exactly happens when a particular file or safecoin address gets DOSed?

Yes the closest nodes are the data managers (also cached from that point as well). They then manage the presence and integrity of the data via the vault managers (pmid managers) who can penalise any data loses or corruption. So vault managers manage vaults and can be sure of data requests and integrity checks from the group near the data key (data managers). It all feels complex, but it does eventually tie up.

don’t worry I get pummelled with questions anyway. I am kinda used to it now :smiley:

6 Likes

Any churn changes the groups of managers around the churn event continually. The beauty is they are a small part of a larger network and the whole network is balanced by the account transfers and relocation of the group near the churn event (new nodes in a group cause churn by pushing old nodes out). That is OK as the pushed out nodes get pushed nearer other data and managers to manage. This is the kinda multi directional or dimensional thinking that is the vault network, It is a huge spaghetti bowl of (incredibly simple) rules that all interact in xor space in a really cool way creating sophistication from apparent mayhem and apparent confusion if looked at linearly.

7 Likes

Thank you, David, I finally feel like it’s all coming together now! Today and yesterday have been filled with the glorious “aha” moments.

Thanx for asking, glad I’m not the only one responsible for bombarding David and the others :wink: To me it’s still not clear how the data managers decide where to put the chunks (which dataholders are chosen?). If there’s a chunk in my vault, the closest nodes are datamanagers and are responsible for checking if my vault still has the chunk and if I’m online. But when I store a file myself on the network, it will goes like this:

The self encrypted chunks will go to the clientmanager. Form there they go to the datamanager and they’ll store it at least at 3 other dataholders. Not sure how the dataholders are chosen.

At the moment it is a random connected node in your routing table. So each node does a store and the vault managers then send back stored to the group of data managers. Then the chunk is considered stored. If there is less than 3 copies another 4 are made (one each) so we can end up with 6 copies of data (and do a lot) so number of copies can be from 2-6 and offline copies (16). So Data managers can make a decision themselves that can only be agreed by the return message which goes to the group and consensus is achieved.

So when we say 4 copies it can be 2-6 and 16 off line. It’s just easier to say 4 :slight_smile:

4 Likes