What do you expect from Alpha 2?

I thought the same thing but surely they would have done it if it were that simple :smirk:

3 Likes

YEs, but problem this is that it’s easy for somebody to take that code out :slight_smile: No the network has to be the tester in these cases, individual nodes are never trusted for this reason, we do not know what code they run.

6 Likes

I think people appreciate that, but until anyone can run a vault, people will remain skeptical that it will work at that scale. They have every right to be too, considering the ground breaking nature of the technology. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, as they say.

Of course, I remain convinced that the hurdles will be crossed; it is why I am here. It would just be awesome to have it for alpha 2 or soon after.

3 Likes

100% agree, ofc people can run their own networks and the like, but the real test is the one SAFE network at scale. I do appreciate that, but I just mean it’s not scale we fear, in fact that helps, it’s the data republish, security and ensuring minimum levels of valt competence.

7 Likes

There is no doubt in my mind you and your team continue to make great progress. The facts are that there is no rollout that includes bulletproof vaults - for whatever the reasons - and this is central to the success of Maidsafe and the Safenetwork. Im not criticizing you/the team or suggesting that you dont have a magnanimous task. Nor am I suggesting anyone should doubt your capabilities.

While I watch the participation in the BNK Future I can only think about how different it would be if Safenet was in BETA (maybe an oversubscription in 6 hours?) as potential investors were able to actually experience, first hand, this paradigm shift in the internet.

1 Like

We agree 100% and this is why we are pushing so hard, I feel the whole community and all MaidSafe staff are all feeling this daily and wishing we could go faster. Our goals are to be quick, but smart and this is why we also push the client side as we get the vault side done in the background as well.

So we are all agreeing :smiley:

14 Likes

I would like a test safe coin, I know it not going to happen yet, But I can dream…

3 Likes

No, that is not easy if this code is a proof of reserve storage, not just storage space but also quick availability. More generally this code should be activated permanently and could replace management of sacrificial data that has been removed in the past.

Like this one:

2 Likes

I agree to a point

Yes proof you store something is a great thing for sure, a problem though is can you deliver it? This means we need to test delivery of data (not too difficult). So it’s several things at once, proof you can store (I agree this makes much more sense than sacrificial data). the ability to handle traffic is also something to test for.

4 Likes

Makes sense, because regardless of what anyone thinks is more important, at the end of the day MaidSafe is paying devs for vaults and also devs for client, so even if people think vaults are most important and should receive 100% of the focus right now, that’s not how MaidSafe operates. So expect to keep seeing progress like this, happening on both sides of the network.

1 Like

Nick in the video: “Alpha 2 around the corner” :yum:.

3 Likes

What happened to all the app developers?

Checking in, WOM here

What are you working on? As a developer how are you finding developing for the network? Pro’s, con’s, in general?

Javascript for now, then will move to node. Getting my devs to walk me through some of these things so I can grow as a dev and start to be more of a one man show hopefully. Will hire out if I need anything done in a specific timeframe though. That will stretch resources much further and allow development to happen and iterate much more quickly when we get close to launch days. Can pivot with markets and SAFE users, like we had to do in the crowdsale with profit delivery systems etc.

Just better for SAFE-FS and the AppStore long term, to stay competitive and ahead

3 Likes

It’s just a new way of thinking. Nothing like it really exists now so you can’t just use PHP lol or Django (Python framework I use to make most of my apps / websites, ex: the Craigslist site I made for my campus at college or the SAFE-FS PoC). You can’t just come in with these server/db-based frameworks (not super cleanly anyway), need to kinda start over with new tools.

It’s fine, and essential for the world to do, but not as easy as making things that I already know how to do, like apps for the clearnet.

Thanks for that. Some feedback from Reddit was that no many dev’s talk about it or provide feedback. Maybe we should start a post on this topic alone?

1 Like

Yeah not really sure what topic you mean but go ahead and make something and I’ll support it and reply

2 Likes

Still working on a Java based wrapper for the API, which is based on the alpha network.

I am also working on a Java FileSystem implementation, which uses this API. Once completed, just including a jar file will allow Java applations to access the safe net file system natively.

My next goal will then be to integrate this Java FileSystem with the FUSE, allowing me to mount the file system as a Linux storage device.

I am also considering creating a wee command line app to push a new site up, or update an existing site, from a single command. This will make publishing content easier for the power user.

For NFS and DNS, the interface is straightforward. I am looking forward to using the new data types and playing with non-fike storage use cases once the above are complete.

Edit: note that I am doing this in my spare time, more as an exercise of curiosity than anything else. Hopefully, the artifacts will be useful to some though.

11 Likes

What do i expect? A network that actually lives up to the concept. Not only running on managed nodes. And still being functional.

1 Like