What do we call things to avoid confusion?

Let’s focus 100% on SAFE Network

As much as I appreciate “Project SAFE”, I totally agree that we should focus our efforts on promoting “SAFE Network”, at least in the short term, for the sake of simplicity and to avoid confusion.

We could always use “Project SAFE” later if we feel it’s necessary, but for the next few months we should try to be as consistent as possible and focus 100% on “SAFE Network”.

As @fergish mentioned, we can simply refer to ourselves as the “SAFE Network community”.

SAFE Network vs Project SAFE

Even though I recently announced projectsafe.community, projectsafe.chat and projectsafe.news, I’ve been thinking for a while that it would make sense to focus 100% on promoting “SAFE Network” and that “Project SAFE” was adding unnecessary complexity at this point. I could have started a topic about SAFE Network vs Project SAFE earlier, but I wanted to build and launch these websites first. I am glad that this discussion is now happening :smile:

If we, as a community, agree to focus our efforts on promoting “SAFE Network” as opposed to “Project SAFE”, here is what I think it would imply:

I would move projectsafe.community to safenetwork.org and redesign it to put the emphasis on SAFE Network

Yes, my friend Mathieu (co-founder of the Bitcoin Embassy) has recently acquired safenetwork.org (I initially helped him contact the owners of the domain) and he trusts me to administer it. I think it’s too early to consider donating it to the community, so for now I would be the one in control of the domain.

Yes, safenetwork.org would contains links to all the important information. It would look similar to https://projectsafe.community at first but I would improve it every day based on the feedback of the community.

And it will be easy for developers and designers to make contributions since the source code will be hosted on GitHub.

Yes, there would definitely be prominent links to those sites.

Note: I think it would be better to discuss the design of safenetwork.org once I have set up an initial version of the site. For now we should focus on the question of whether or not we want to commit to using “SAFE Network” instead of “Project SAFE”.

The SAFE Network Forum would stay where it is (safenetforum.org)

I could potentially move it to forum.safenetwork.org, but I don’t think there would be much benefit. In any case, it would be something to decide later, once we are confident that we like the safenetwork.org site.

I could add a header menu at the top of the forum that would look something like try.discourse.org or also like talk.commonmark.org.

The SAFE Network Wiki would stay where it is (safenetwork.wiki)

Again, there is not much benefit to moving it. It could potentially be moved to wiki.safenetwork.org but this would something to discuss later.

I would rename Project SAFE News to SAFE Network News

I would move projectsafe.news to news.safenetwork.org.

I would rename Project SAFE Slack to SAFE Network Slack

I would also move projectsafe.chat (which people can use to receive an invitation to Project SAFE Slack) to chat.safenetwork.org.

The Project SAFE meetup groups would have to be renamed

Option 1: SAFE Network Montreal, SAFE Network San Francisco, SAFE Network London, etc.
Option 2: SAFE Pod Montreal, SAFE Pod San Francisco, SAFE Pod London, etc.

I think option 2 would be good because many people already call a SAFE Pod and a meetup group the same way. On the other hand, if we decide that it’s worth making that distinction, we can go with option 1.

Other minor changes:

• @fergish should rename his website to something other than “The Crossroad of Project SAFE”
  • The next batch of T-shirts should emphasize SAFE Network instead of Project SAFE
  • We should use the #SAFEnetwork hashtag instead #ProjectSAFE

Let me know if you have any concerns or suggestions. Once there is a strong consensus (if necessary I can do a poll) then we can go forward with the various changes. A good way to show your agreement would be to like this post :smile:

11 Likes