What categories do we need?

We’re already way ahead of bitcointalk tech wise ;-).

Mining/ farming has to be a big part of the equation if MaidSafe will scale.

Hm… I believe app development and builder support is more important for scalability than farming. To me, safecoin is mostly a way for Maidsafe, the company, to let the community take over ownership of the network. Sure, it adds incentive for individuals to join the network but if there are already amazing applications that enable things like distributed drobbox storage and truly private messaging, the fact that I can earn safecoin is a bonus.
That said, why do you think we need farming to be a big part for the Safe network to scale?

Those applications need to scale and deliver at a reasonable performance.

1 Like

FARMING SafeCoin:

I’m thinking somewhere for end users to look for info and help with farming - hardware platforms, installing client, where to get help.

For ex. Right now I want to post about a neat little Ubuntu based home server running ownCloud with 2G microSD that consumes 1.5 W just launched on kickstarter as OPI

I’m not sure where this would fit in the existing categories.

Yeah you’re right, there will be a good amount of interest in setting up farmers on various hardwares like RaspPi, etc. I take that previous statement back. :slight_smile:

However, from now until launch, I assume the builders will be the individuals frequenting this forum the most.

How about a stickied FAQ? There was a good post over on the google developer group which could act as a seed:

Q1: How can “we” keep from using MAIDSAFE?
A1: “We” can’t, whoever “we” are, because no one has control over the autonomous network and anyone can use it with any internet connection.

Q2: How can “we” keep from being communicated using MAIDSAFE?
A2: “We” can’t, whoever “we” are, because any information can be reduced to a binary string, encrypted, chunked, striped, and thereby communicated to anyone without intervention.

Q3: Are SAFEcoins going to be worth more or less than what I paid for them?
A3: No one knows for sure, but my magic 8-ball says “all signs point to yes” because anyone can sell anything to anyone else priced in SAFEcoins from any internet connection anywhere without anyone else knowing about it.

Q4: Will people try to scam, phish, spam, trick, and otherwise defraud me of my SAFEcoins?
A4: Yes, early and often. From now until the end of your life. They will use every trick in the book and make up new ones that were not possible before this new kind of even better magic internet money was invented. Cover your ass, and if someone you don’t know asks you to send them your SAFEcoins it is probably a scam.

Q5: Someone tricked me into sending them SAFEcoins and I got nothing in return! How do I get my SAFEcoins back?
A5: You don’t, sucker. Transactions are not reversible. Try not to fall for the next scam. Don’t forget that it is cash you are giving for this promise of something in return and keep in mind “do I have any recourse if the promise is broken?”

Good idea. Before I add it I would like it to contain some very basic ones like “What is MaidSafe?”, “What is Safecoin?” etc. Also, I won’t use an answer that starts with “You don’t, sucker”, that’s no way to treat new visitors.

But, good idea, I will start a new thread where people can post suggestions.

Hey, what about a category for Brainstorming?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. For now I’ll wait before adding any more categories, but don’t be afraid to leave a topic uncategorized if you don’t think it fits anywhere. That way it’ll be easier to see when more categories are needed.

We’ve been having a lot of discussions on multiple forums lately. And when speaking with David Irvine, he felt a little scattered, trying to keep up with all of them. I too have been hopping around a lot. We would like to use this forum for (Problems / Solutions). While decentralizing is fun, some problems are discussed redundantly and fragments the solutions as well as brain power being used to solve them.

(Problems / Solutions) Category

1. Topics must state a specific mechanical/software problem with the SAFE Network so others can find it and read suggested solutions.
  2. Try to avoid social issues a much as possible and see this more like fixing a car.
  3. Please read through the other topics before posting a new one, as it may have already been opened.

Example…

Topic: DOS (Denial of Service) Attacks against the SAFE Network

Problem: Traditional Internet relies on servers that are independently managed and maintained by individuals. The SAFE Network manages and maintains all connections (servers) into a more efficient space. Traditional DOS attacks target the individual server. A DOS attack would have to target the entire SAFE Network. While this is unlikely, it is not impossible. Simply overloading the available storage space on the network would effectively accomplish this attack.

Solution: Currently the SAFE Network allows unlimited data to be uploaded. If the upload amount was limited by requiring safecoin payment beyond the storage amount already provided, then the attack would become costly. As the network grows larger, the attack would become more costly and less effective.

Sounds good to me, let’s create such a category. So what would be a good name for this category? If I understand it correctly this is for discussing the protocol, network etc. So calling it something like “Problems/Solutions” is a bit generic as it would probably get a lot of posts about specific problems that people have (compiling this, running that app…).

Suggestions? There is also the possibility of making a category a child of another category, I haven’t tried that feature yet.

How about…

Network Maintenance (Problems & Solutions)

Then add the guidelines for what kind of topics should be posted.
If you add it to the “Development” category that would work, but it will be less noticeable due to the drill down.

Either way, the idea is to consolidate all the “Maintenance” issues Devs might come across so they can point it out and solve it as a group. It is solely about Network functionality. In other words, to keep the car running. The driver experience is a different category.

“If you see a problem that may cause the Network to stop functioning, it should be posted here.”

The problem I see with such long category names is that it breaks the front page UI, so 1- or maybe 2-word categories are preferable. I would suggest “Network” or “Protocol” with very clear guidelines, you always see the description when choosing a category so the actual category name doesn’t have to be very long.

Yes, it’s certainly similar to development. The way I see it development is often about code while this category is more about theoretical discussions that also non-developers might participate in. Is that about right?

1 Like

Yes, let’s use “Network” with clear guidelines as per your suggestion. Maybe it is best to be on it’s own category instead of a child of the “development” category. This way, we can have in-depth discussions with non-devs.

1 Like

Agreed. I have added the category with this first draft of a description (help me improve it):

Technical discussions about the SAFE network focused on solving problems. For example, if you can think of a possible DoS attack or a way to double spend your safecoins this is the place to post about it.

Looks good so far.
I would add…

“Please describe in detail about the problem in your topic.”

If it isn’t too long “Network Issues” or “SAFE Issues” might help encode the “problems / solutions” aspect into the name.

I vote for the inclusion of Off Topic/Politics section. Makes sense.

2 Likes

I agree an off-topic/Policies section would be good Also a Philosphy section would be good since much of what we’re doing involves what we believe and that kind of discussion can get quite extensive.

2 Likes

There is now an off-topic category. We will split it into politics, philosophy etc. later if necessary.

2 Likes