Weird safenetforum.org user counter

Hi everyone, I have noticed weird behaviour of user counter of this forum. According to my estimate, it is around +4 users a day in the last 2 months. At the same time, it’s growing like 20 hours nothing and then let’s say +6 in an hour. Then 20 hours nothing. Isn’t that weird?

Does exist any chart showing user signups to illustrate it more?

Hope it’s people joining to rack up reader experience so they can play with the test net.

Otherwise sounds like seeding of sockpuppet accounts.

I’d check the ip addresses, how many users per IP address. Check the ip addresses against known blacklists. If any photos are used reverse Google image search. Check email addresses also.

If you have registration timestamp data plot that - suspicious registration could pop out.

1 Like

I’d say its more to do with timezones.

Also we get a steady stream of spammers/fraudsters signing up to spew their spam. So this affects the stats too. One spammer may make a number of accounts with differing IP addresses etc so we cannot usually tell if they are related or different people.

1 Like

This is the new member graph for march (new members per day)

canvas

It would be very useful to have hourly chart. It can confirm or disprove my suspicion. Daily seems reasonable.

Yea I would have supplied it if I could find something closer

Do I see correctly some accounts were deleted today?

Yes. Some never used/confirmed accounts from years ago. These are accounts that never had the email confirmation and/or had never logged in. (Please note this) And they were years old.

The person would be free to rejoin using the same name etc, so this is just a little tidying up.

And of course spammers are deleted regularly. Some days its many and others its none.

1 Like

Today it happened again… Yesterday, the whole day 8737 without any move, today is 8748. Not legit!

I had a look at the 11 most recent accounts. From different countries (US the most). 5 have a read time until now under 10 minutes, 6 a read time above 10 minutes.
My theory: people have more time for things like creating an account on safenetforum.org when the weekend starts?

How closely together were they created (time). I suspect it will be very close. Could somebody confirm it please?

Sorry we cannot. The forum software only gives daily figures.

EDIT: also there has been some announcements of APPs to try out (eg messages) and these often bring people in so they can get to level 1 and try it out for themselves.

Also do you think the dev update also might have an effect?

1 Like

canvas1

This is the new members graph from just now. So we cannot see the large “Today” additions you saw.

I’d say the figures you are seeing are updated at some stage and the new members graph is updated at another time. This makes it even more difficult to relate what you see to what actually happens since there are delays and apparently daily updates of these figures and not real time updates.

EDIT: I’ve just checked on the new members and only 1 has yet to start reading and a couple have not read much yet. This is for the last 25 or so new members. Usually for a bunch of spammers/scammers we would see very little to no reading for the bunch.

1 Like

Just want to refresh this topic since I see the weird behavior (again) of the number of forum users.

@neo could you please update us with the actualized chart? Also, can we see a similar chart showing the number of accounts deleted?

Can some insider comment on how big is the problem with fake user accounts (multi-user) on safenetforum?

To me, it feels like in the last 14 days the influx of new users was exceeded by account deletions. I am suspicious if those deleted weren’t the old multi accounts. Then I see the increase of the total users in the last 24 hours by around 9.

Mods, please give us some numbers so we could see more what is happening behind the curtains.

1 Like

Unfortunately the system does not give us a number of deleted users. But looking at the logs the discourse s/w automatically deletes accounts that were created but never used after being there for 2 years. No one is in danger of their account being deleted if they either use it or log in at least once every 2 years.

Here is the graph for the last month of new members. Please note though that there seems to be a large number of never used accounts created 2 years ago and the discourse software has deleted many unused accounts in the last few days.

canvas2

So what we are seeing is that 2 years ago there was a lot of accounts created but never accessed later.

3 Likes

Makes total sence and seems perfectly legit to me, big thanks @neo! :slight_smile:

2 Likes