Watch this video! :)

Where I used to work, the night manager always told me not to open the sterrad machine by kicking it, yet it had a big lit arrow saying kick to open.
Some ppl waste the air they breathe, I’m fine with that, all good comedy.
But when a company install an open button, I’ll use it despite my mis managment.

2 Likes

I’ve never been diagnosed with anything interesting, but I often actually have a hard time telling the difference between what is meant as a joke and what some people mean seriously. People can be sooo strange! Chicken behavior, on the other hand, usually makes perfect sense to me.

2 Likes

Do they need to be fenced in or will they return to the coop?
Been toying with the idea for a while.

2 Likes

Human actions make sense to me, but thats after 40 yrs of exp, and realising most of us are just trying to be our best.
Of course we have exceptions and borderline cases, humans love to put things in a box and believe there’s no cross over, when in actuality that’s all there is as we can’t be put in such rigid boxes, we’re all unique and magnificent in our own special way.
Hope you enjoy the hols.

In case you think I was joking, I wasn’t, some ppl amuse me, and I don’t understand them, but I love them all the same.

2 Likes

Mine are free to do as they please. They usually return home for the night, after which I close their door to protect them from predators. Occasionally a hen decides to start at family in the woods to make sure I don’t take her eggs. This can be dangerous, but the landrace chickens have survived so far.

1 Like

But didn’t you say you had pet snakes around the house? The chickens are liable to kill those, unless the snakes are really big.

Yeah there are a few that frequent the property mostly water snakes and then black racers which are lightning fast.
I do have an actual pet snake which could eat the chickens if it got out, would probably go for the cat first so I am not too worried :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My current chickens don’t like water at all. But the previous ones didn’t mind so much. Your snakes may be fast, but so are chickens. They can also work together, and their brains are, after all, bigger than those of snakes. Try reading up on different breeds before you get chickens. They can be pretty different. Some fly, some don’t. Some industrial breeds are pretty helpless in the wild. As a general rule, chickens can stand cold better than they can stand heat.

2 Likes

I met a boater on the canal who made a little duck houseboat which he towed behind his boat with three domesticated ducks in it. When moored up he’d let them out on the towpath, but they tended to not come back after a while.

In the same stretch of canal there was a domestic goose which had escaped and thought it was a swan until the wild geese visited and it started spending time in their flock. I enjoyed that goose a lot. Like swans people tend to be afraid of geese because they make out they’re going to attack you. Geese are particularly funny when they do this if you just stand your ground. I love them.

3 Likes

I’ve had some close encounters with swans. They back off when I make my voice really “barky” as long as there is just a couple of them. One time, though, I was a bit scared of getting my nets until the around 200 swans surrounding the nets all lifted at once and flew away. It was an awesome sight. The wild geese that visit to eat blueberries around my house are not aggressive. The chickens don’t mind them either.

1 Like

This is strongly correlated to the local fox population density.

3 Likes

A few hawks about not sure if they take chickens out. Seen 1 fox but that would be a nighttime problem I’d think and then they would ideally be closed in.

1 Like

My old rooster actually fought a (sick) fox one day, and survived! Hawks can be bad, especially out in the open. They’re not called “chicken hawks” for nothing. I once saw a sea eagle going after the chickens, but it was so big that it just looked stupid trying to navigate between the pine trees.

EDIT: I’ll shoot foxes and especially raccoon dogs and mink. But I don’t want to kill birds of prey. It’s also illegal in Finland. I just try to scare them away.

3 Likes

:sascha:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, this “award winning” documentary about web3 kinda sucks.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust these people to protect my chickens.

EDIT: Then again, I wouldn’t trust them with a screwdriver. I don’t want to ban guns, much less screwdrivers.

2 Likes

Did these scientists never watch Alien!! :scream:

1 Like

I did see Alien back in the days, but I don’t understand your reference.

Examining a strange :egg: a bit too closely can be risky!

5 Likes

It’s not the dinosaurs you have to worry about - it’s what killed dinosaurs?.. they’ll wake it up, it sneezes and for a while they’ll think it’s cute gain of function.

2 Likes