Video Overview - Networking Libraries

I’m not great at transcribing but have a lot of experience in transcript verif and editing, to ensure they communicate well in written form.

I’d be happy to work over anything you transcribe, best I can, anyway. I think it would be very good stuff.

6 Likes

So we need to send a thing that says, "Get me some information, get some info." - Pastebin.com a section of my transcription for the past hour (actually more, time goes REALLY fast when doing this), for this part of the video SAFE Network: Technical Overview of Routing - YouTube

I’ve done more before it, but that pastebin is almost perfectly polished.

Oh wow I read it for a third time after posting this here, and finally realized he’s saying “vital” not “fatal” …lol

5 Likes

Thanks for this work ! I look forward to reading it

4 Likes

This would be very helpful. I had a very hard time understanding some of what Irvine was saying through his heavy accent. That along with the audio quality made it especially difficult.:neutral_face:.

If you then add them to the video as subtitles, that would be superb.:grinning: @Audity

1 Like

I have the MP4s now, haven’t tried listening through those, probably a little better. On that note I think I’m ready to try some more work! This time I’ll actually start from the beginning of Routing, despite already having heard it.

Oh boy, subtitles, that would be insane. Probably someone else could do that, or I could help a little bit. I did subtitles for this a long time ago, for 90% of it https://dotsub.com/view/15872a88-fbfe-4b18-a47f-10e0ae06fa9f

2 Likes

Alright guys! Routing. Actually Routing becomes much, much simpler.One of th - Pastebin.com holy moley, first 48 minutes of the Routing video transcription done. (Of course, anything can be proofreaddited upwards of infinite times. Didn’t bother splitting some of the paragraphs, after finally reaching the 48 minutes mark.)

4 Likes

Hell yeah!!! You’re the f^cking man! Doin it up like a bouse! :sunglasses::wink: Keep it up! Don’t lose steam…

2 Likes

Bunch of work days coming up, off on Saturday though.

2 Likes

Man o man I knew I talked a lot but this is a huge transcript, enormous respect for this. Super useful for many people I think. Humbled :pensive:

8 Likes

That is the best reply I could have gotten!! I’ve read the first half of it numerous times now; I can’t stop reading it haha. It’s really nice being able to see it all there, unobstructed by time and voice. Sometimes I have to re-listen to a segment a dozen times or more to fully grasp what is being said. Sometimes it seems impossible, but I end up getting a lot of it. (And, also Saturday, I will correct the single handful of errors currently there, plus break up the paragraphs more so.) Specific terminology here and there (surprisingly rare) completely boggles me, however. Yet I want to and will continue onward now more than ever.

9 Likes

So I’m here after work bored still, just about to sleep. Here is an experimental process I have applied as an edit, for the first 6 minutes, that I have done in the meantime: Excellent. Alright, guys... Routing! So, now that we've got Sentinel, actually R - Pastebin.com – which does a “more accurate” job of reflecting what’s truly being spoken. I kind of like it. But then again it’s a bit too much, and a byte too much work, too. Fun to read while listening along. Maybe good to read on its own, too, dare I try to do so right now.

7 Likes

Yo this is some awesome work. It conveys the natural pauses very well. I can’t praise it enough. Respect brother, respect.:slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

guess didn’t work on more today, worst hangover in 30 years. just relaxing with calories, now

2 Likes

So here it is, “all” of Routing transcribed. I’m going to nap before getting out my fine-tooth comb, or just start on the next video. I won’t be bothering with any more “[??]” spots, so anyone with more technical/other knowledge can try to fill those in.

Oh, both the many opening paragraphs and the many ending paragraphs utilize the “experimental, most accurate” pauses/stutters transcription. Everything in the middle is much cleaner to read, though possibly less characteristic of the speaker. I think, by the ending paragraphs, I’ve figured out a good way to mix up the commas and the ellipses, accommodating for both the way English sentences are supposed to read and the way time passes in the video, sort of breaking the rules here and there for both scenarios for the sake of musicality [trying to think of a word here haha]. (There are too many commas in some of the opening paragraphs, which tend to have multiple possible meanings, compared to ellipses, which always simply define duration of elapsed time. Though: I keep commas rarely, anyway, despite possibly breaking some English rule thing, just to prevent too many ellipses—though of course not at the expense of thinking that too many ellipses is a bad thing, …because they aren’t bad when numerous, specifically in this case or all transcriptions’ cases.)

Anyone can feel free to make their own pastebin, with their own edits, whether as a complete copy/paste of mine or simply having a pastebin of short edited sections, or with added subtitle markings/timestamps, even. It may be the case that it could be useful for translators (if there’s even interest to translate to different languages) to eliminate every single instance of redundant words. Reading the entire middle is really refreshing, then I get back to the accuracy fulfillment stuff, and it’s quite time-consuming. I’ll probably make a clean version after this proverbial nap.

5 Likes

I started on a separate document, cleaning up Routing.txt (to make it its own version). I think when something is said twice in a row: instead of an ellipses, I’ll remove it entirely and just add a comma—and type the word only once. (In this way it’s like, “a coding rule added specifically for the task of cleaning up” or something.) I think for the more technical stuff, adding too much accuracy of spoken error really messes with the flow, disallowing the important technical message to come through. While David is collecting his thoughts, however, like with the very first paragraph, it’s more appropriate to have characteristics shine through, via the text.

I feel like I haven’t been the same since Friday night (causing the hangover, + seemingly something worse… it was just alcohol, too, though some other/abnormally bad decisions happened), like some kind of happiness centers got destroyed (more so yesterday), along with anything else. Just makes things more confusing and less focused… but I’ll gladly continue, of course. I can’t wait to get to the other videos with all this new development!

3 Likes

You’re a freggin machine!!! Take a red bull, get some warm buns (wink wink), and push through. Make some dopamine and jump back into the matrix…:wink:

2 Likes

Takis Fuego + Pasta + http://www.amazon.com/Yang-Cheng-Brand-Dietary-Supplement/dp/B001E6H4PI = stare at my bad feelings in the reflection of my own forum post, and laugh!

edit: for the clean version I’m really thinking back to my days of watching/making good subtitles (only did one subtitle job, on dotsub.com), and definitely going back to using full stops more often, even less commas, less repeated phrases, less ellipses, less dashes (perhaps), more/better split up paragraphs (doesn’t matter for subtitles but makes it a nice read).

2 Likes

-=============================================================================== - Pastebin.com This seems to be mostly done, now… lots of rush/excitement at the last second before I sleep again, wanted to get everything done. Quite a lot there, so it’s often I get dazed to the point of impossibility to some sections.

4 Likes

Haha, the first paragraphs I already spotted to still have (just) a couple of commas to be removed. I’ll work on all the rest of it later, as well, because…

…I’ll probably work on the Sentinel video, since it’s only 30 minutes. Then once that’s done I’ll have a nice big plate of stuff—Routing, Sentinel—to make to perfection. Of course, I’m going to continue with these clean versions of the transcriptions. But luckily, I have now some “accuracy” work/practice under my belt, which oddly enough, is useful even for clean transcriptions—since sometimes you really need to have some accuracy shine through, for thoughtfulness/character.

edit: the words themselves are forever important, too!

3 Likes

We should find a great place for these transcripts. Maybe on the wiki? Great work, really great work :+1:.

5 Likes