Verified WebIDs in the SAFE Browser

I have a question: is it possible to have a verified identity (from third-party) in the SAFE Browser:

If I want to offer services through the SAFE Network how customers will know I’m not a scammer and I am the one who I say I am (company ABC)?

Perhaps if at protocol level there is an opportunity to be verified from third-party and these third-party companies are added to the SAFE Browser? Perhaps this will be an additional way of earning revenue for MaidSafe?

3 Likes

It’s possible certainly to query / reference another data set, but it raises a lot of questions about trust (how would you choose this third party? / have they been hacked?).

Why do you want your webIds to be verified? (for yourself there, I mean. I can see why knowing a webId is related to a real world person is beneficial)

Probably a more natural solution is something akin to the Web of Trust (which is elaborated on elsewhere on the forum, and is something I believe the decorum team are working on).

Or perhaps the ability to mark webIds you encounter on the network (so you can say safe://webId.josh is my id, as I told you that in person for eg.) or that you own (tagging w/ colours, labels etc).

5 Likes

@Dimitar See the topic about BrightID which is along the lines Josh is suggesting. Something like that might fit well with SAFE.

2 Likes

In Europe if you get money from anonymous sources by default, you are a criminal.

If you have a business, you have to be able to prove the source of the money. The State recognizes only regulated third parties as verifying authorities so BrightID can not be used.

My personal opinion is that if we want a legal business in the Safe Network we need support of verifying WebIDs third party companies regulated by the state.

This is interesting - can you say more about this? Are there EU laws that address this directly ? What are they, when were they adopted, and by what mechanism?

1 Like

I can not quote the law, but I have personally seen its application when I send money from CoinBase to Revolut:

I really can not imagine how a business would operate on the SAFE Network without being able to prove the origin of the money which he receives…

@Dimitar, can you please post the link to the SoF blog post referenced in “you can read our full blog post here” in your screenshot?

@circ here it is: What is a Source of Funds and why it is important? | Revolut

edit: and it’s important to know that the money coming from CoinBase are from an account with my name… They want me to give them papers how the money got into CoinBase :wink:

That SOF is a staggering burden to place on a customer. I do understand the very real need to make these verifications and also why (I’m assuming the crypto you’re moving is above a certain threshold, whatever that is) a CoinBase transfer would get flagged. I’m curious what would constitute a positive SOF if, for instance, you bought BTC in 2013 and were just opening a banking account on Revolut with some of the funds. What documentation exists outside the blockchain? It’s an interesting control mechanism anyway - to attempt to render the crypto unusable outside of narrow contexts.

That said - to your topic here - I think there’s a very large gap between the requirements for SAFE and as @happybeing has pointed out with the discussion link, it’s an ongoing decision. I think this gap between operations and state identity requirements is not quite the impediment you present. I can think of many examples where I’d like to see a representation of a ‘more trusted’ identity, but I don’t think the absence of a hard authority presents much of a problem for the network itself.

200 Euro :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For the network is not a problem, it is a problem for anyone who wants to accept payments in SafeCoin…

My question was whether it was possible to be done and I’m pleased with the answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many European countries have some government approved solution for digital signatures. I suppose could have an app where you use your government approved digital signature to this basically “this webid belongs to me”.

1 Like

I have one, but it is expensive for the ordinary man (and complicated to use). I was thinking about something free for the end user, like https://www.civic.com/

Well. I think the complicated part should be up to some app developer to make into a simple app where you just enter your webid and click a button to sign. You shouldn’t need to use it more than once for each webid also, so it shouldn’t really end up being thats expensive to use. Maybe you would have to use some paid service each time you want to verify an Id though, not sure and not sure if it could be expensive.

Something like civic could work too,just it could be on SAFE instead of a blockchain. Especially if the company providing the service can be approved to get access to the passport databases to check if passports are not faked.

By the sounds of it you need a government approved verification system. And that is going to require a 3rd party verification system (state department or registered/licenced company)

Then they would need to have a presence on SAFE and an APP to do the verification. Probably MDs owned by them or signed by them verifying each and every ID that requires/wants it

The actual verification then is real easy since the person’s ID can be verified by viewing the signed message for that ID. Of course there could be an issue with these 3rd party verifiers and having a fake one included. You know like with our https certificates.

1 Like

The amount is ridiculous to need verification, but it seems a problem for use Swift transfers instead of SEPA.

In the revolut forums there are users who warn of possible problems using coinbase. Maybe is not be the best option and, in the final Cripto->Fiat, is better use a exchange that work with SEPA.

I have made much higher value SEPA transfers and have never been asked for any verification.

1 Like

But they both use SEPA :slight_smile: I think the problem is in their algorithm for detecting bad people. Obviously, I’m not a bad man. Or am I :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps the secure digital identity offered by Estonia’s e-residency scheme may help here? I’m an Estonian e-resident and I’m impressed with it, as it offers a verified digital identity and digital signature process that has become gold standard in Europe and which is, in principle, acceptable world-wide as it is backed by Estonia’s enviable record in digital tech and nobody can get e-residency without being checked out by the Estonian police. Perhaps the SAFE Network could liaise with Estonia regarding adoption of the e-residency scheme within the network?

1 Like