Vaults running on games consoles?

I’ve not seen this question raised yet and it seems that consoles are a possible platform for vaults. Right now this is probably limited to hacks on Steam OS machines, but why not Xbox, PS4 and Wi in future? There are 100s of millions of these world wide, with CPUs and HD space being wasted, so wouldn’t it be great!

7 Likes

Very cool idea! (20 characters)

3 Likes

Smart TVs/TV boxes could also be an option. Anything with a flexible application platform and enough HD space. At some point in the future, if not already, the PCs/Macs will be out numbered by these kind of devices and consoles.

2 Likes

I was wondering about cloud storage. e.g. I have 100gbs of storage space on one drive. Can that also be used?

1 Like

Technically that should be possible, but I wonder how the impact on bandwidth would be if you i.e. integrate cloud storage as network storage and run the vault locally. Probably wouldn´t make sense. You´d need to run it where the storage is. That´s why I was looking into running it on my Synology, which would allow thousands of users with DiskStations to set up a vault on their local device.

1 Like

It can be feasible but not possible, and most likely waste of time. The hardware is proprietary, and hard to design. A lot of game companies had to get manual from xbox, playstation, and nintendo to know how their architecture works. It is completely different than x86 architecture.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the Nintendo hardware, but the PS4 and XBOX are x86 (AMD). However, its custom hardware andvery locked down, so your point stands. Somebody recently hacked the PS4 and installed Linux on it, but this was very hard to do and a pretty big deal that they managed it.

Ultimately this needs vendor buy in I think, or the presence of a flexible application platform. (maybe Android TV for instance)

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Vault space is the new raid boss.

2 Likes

Wouldnt the console slow down quite a bit if there’s a vault running in the background? This could put some people off as It may slow there games down.

It doesn’t slow my computer down a ton, why would it slow the console down? But even if it did consoles can lay dormant and unplayed for ridiculous amounts of time. Might as well run a vault on them while they’re idle.

1 Like