Vault resource proof question (6Mbits upload)

Can we truly can trust about resource proof? I don’t think there is really a way to know about that. I mean it’s not safe where people can trick it. Like lowering bandwidth after the test past.

1 Like

Try it out ‌‌ ‌‌ ‌‌ ‌‌

2 Likes

hmmm - resource proof for now is there to ensure that the network is fast and doesn’t get slowed down by very slow nodes

…as a farmer you want to have a fast connection to be able to deliver many data packets first (so to have a chance of farming coin)

…so… resource proof is an entry barrier but i don’t think it will matter later when the network is large [or matter if it is being tricked] … (with trying to trick it you’d just hurt yourself)

5 Likes

I don’t know how I’m going to hurt myself with that. But thank for your constructive answer.

Interesting question imo …

1 Like

It could be an issue now but once node aging is implemented it will continuously be spot checked and ranked based on performance

4 Likes

I wonder if it has a heartbeat.

The point he was making is that if you have 10Mbits/sec upload then you are more likely to be the one that successfully delivers the chunk first and have a chance of a coin than someone who has lowered their bandwidth to 1Mbits/sec

So you hurt yourself in terms of receiving coin over time.

6 Likes

What is the answer? …

Basically there is no suitable way to guarantee any “proofs” of performance/abilities without using extensive “expensive” means.

The resource proof provides a interim method to measure the node/vault’s ability to deliver data. So the proof is measuring the ability and not the long term sustainability. So it can be easily fooled by starting a node then reducing its effective bandwidth. Either by starting another node (using diff subnet) or starting other things using the upload bandwidth.

But we are in testing phase and extensive proofs are not really needed and we live with the few that “cheat”

Later on the network is going to self regulate and it will be a much more extensive proving. It will include the ongoing ability of the node/vault to achieve minimum (network determined) requirements. This is the more expensive proof but since its ongoing then the cost is very small and more reliable.

Also the effect of “cheating” the proof is a reduction in coin earned. If you reduce your upload bandwidth by 50% then your coin earnings may reduce by 60% or 70% depending on what your original bandwidth was. For someone with many times the requirements then possibility very minimal reduction in coin earnings till they drop below the minimum.

In other words if your node is at around 1-2 times the minimum then the reduction in coin earnings will be greater than reduction in bandwidth allocation. If your node is >2 then you will earn more by having 2 nodes. <— guessimations but hopefully indicative of what happens.

So to answer the question.

NOW - yes you can cheat and by reducing bandwidth after acceptance only hurts the network performance.

After SAFEcoin - yes you can cheat for a little time, but you lose out in because of reduced earnings

8 Likes

The solution for lazy nodes that, after the resource proof, don’t do the assigned work will come with the DataChain. All nodes must transmit the Link NodeBlock on churn event, If not will be punish or expelled from the group. This prevents someone, after the resource proof, keeps nodes in a dormant state.

Routing must punish nodes ASAP on failure to transmit a Link NodeBlock on a churn event. Links will validate on majority, but routing will require to maintain security of the chain by ensuring all nodes participate effectively. These messages should be high priority.

5 Likes