Using Tokens Built on Bitcoin to Fix DRM and Morph Software into Property

Adam B. Levine’s post on the topic of DRM and content access:

One concept we’re working on at Tokenly is the idea of Token Controlled Access (TCA), or Token Controlled Viewpoint (TCV), as I prefer to think of it. What you see in a given application, or on a given website, varies depending on what access tokens you possess.

We’re building a generic service that will let you create an account and associate a bitcoin wallet with it. You prove to the service that you control the wallet by signing a transaction or making a .0001 BTC send to an address shown only to you. This proves that you control the private key, which means you control the account, and the tokens it contains are yours.

In the future, the service will let applications and websites request information about your verified public addresses — we call them pockets — either generally, or ask yes/no questions to confirm or disprove balances a user indicates it possesses in a private pocket.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/tokens-software-and-the-coming-drm-revolution

3 Likes

Seems like a variation on the “21” idea and something I’d be against. Maidsafe seems to deal with this issue better. My main objection of course would be that “Rights” are for Humans, not information, data, ideas, organisations, companies etc. :smiley:
I think it is recognised digital information is not “property”, therefore let’s get around that issue by creating tokens that are…still not sure about how that works :smiley:

I think what Adam Levine is doing is different from what you’re looking at.

If someone creates content and makes it available based upon specific arrangements, there’s no offense here. If it were, you having data in your own head that you choose not to share with everyone would be an offense. He’s not saying that using this scheme can or has a right to control what you do with the data after you have accessed it.

What Adam is trying to do with Tokenly has a lot of really useful applications. I’m interested to see what sort of similar arrangements could be done with the SAFE Network.

1 Like

I have long thought that it is only a matter of time before Cryptocurrencies permanently fix DRM…

Hopefully they will also make it less needed at the same time… As micropayments and other forms of revenue will be invented alongside the rebuilt DRM, and less expensive options will gain more revenue than the hard nosed commercial lockdown competition.

1 Like

That’s what I mean about Safe doing it better, as it makes the micro-payments anonymously. By using Bitcoin, then theoretically the micro-payments are attributable to a particular wallet/person. This means that whatever websites/apps have been accessed by whom and when are traceable and creates spying/privacy concerns as far as I can see. I’m not the most technical person, but this would be the nature of my concerns - right or wrong. :smiley:

2 Likes