Using the SAFE network without money

My claim is that the value of safecoin as a cryptocurrency is what will fuel the SAFE economy. Farmers will be able to earn more when serving both free and pay-for data, in actual value such as in dollars or euros. Because the safecoin market cap will be determined to a large extent by how much the SAFE network is used, how popular it becomes.

• But you aren’t proposing that they be given a choice (say, a freeshit=[yes|no] setting in vault.conf) or anything of that nature.
  • Whether or not your expectation is correct, we can’t tell, but I already said in that case vaults would get filled with crap (data which never get any GETs), which would start a deflationary spiral in the price of GET’s and which would ultimately cause hyperinflation (collapse of confidence) in SAFE coin).

Still, I’m done arguing against freebies. I just posted a topic with a simpler idea, and that is to launch SAFE without Safecoin and get to market faster (or alternatively fiddle around with these cumbersome plans, which would only further delay v1.0). If people want to go full freetard, let’s launch completely without Safecoin and see what happens during the “promotional” period of 3 months while the coin economics is figured out.

1 Like

May I ask you how much Terrabyte you will provide to the network daily? I mean, it seems really lucrative from your point of view…

…and if you are not going to add massive amounts of space every day (which is what I suppose), would you mind telling us why?

I seriously encourage you to start a system with free plans. I´ll be there to dump my files. Until them I´m - same as @janitor - glad that the developers won´t have leeway to commit their time to any of the proposals.

2 Likes

As a follow up on @dyamanaka. I seriously doubt that at any point it would be a good idea to provide free space on a systemic level. Even with a large and stable network you´d have a prisoners dilemma in which the mere belief that the system could be gamed by everyone without knowing whether that takes place or not would lead to destabilization.

There is absolutely no need to create potential loopholes, because anyone who thinks that it is a good idea to provide free space can do that individually. It´s clear that this kind of service will have measures to identify exploitations and I believe it will get exploited quickly, but still: it can be done and for everyone who likes the idea it can be a feasibility study to prove that it works.

2 Likes

Ha, that would be useless. Farmers earn the same for serving free storage as when the users pay for the storage. So from the farmers’ perspective it doesn’t matter whether an encrypted chunk will be stored for free or not.

The setting could redirect network payment to the MaidSafe app vendor who provided referral, or could be sent to a “burn” address to not inflate the supply.

In any case, you can brainstorm all you want, the plan won’t happen and if it does, the network will collapse.

1 Like

If I had a lot of computers for farmings, I would consider farming yes. And with my free+pay model I would earn more than with the current model. Remember, in my model, the farmers earn the same for both free data storage and for storage users pay for. This is very important: free data storage = farmers get rewarded the same amount of safecoins as for pay-for storage.

Without my model, or something similar, the network will not even get bootstrapped. If ALL data storage costs safecoins, and farmers only earn safecoins for storing data, then that means a Catch 22 situation from the start.

Oh I´m sure you would, but how much would you provide on a daily basis?

I don´t see why that´s important. This simply means that the more free storage is used, the less everyone earns (see post of @Seneca below). In comparison to the current model where the value of Safecoin tends to an equilibrium between real farming costs and real storage cost the free plan would continuously challenge any storage cost while farming cost remain stable, leading farmers to jump aboard.

Whatever, I think this has explained to you several times. If you don´t want to “believe” it, only empirical proof helps…

1 Like

Same amount, but due to inflation not the same in value.

2 Likes

That’s completely false. I wrote that farmers are rewarded the same amount of safecoins for free data storage as for pay-for data storage.

Gosh…do you read posts till the end before you answer? The amount is IRRELEVANT. What matters is VALUE.

1 Like

I wonder why none has started a World Central Bank yet that implements a new currency and that pays every human’s bills on the planet with the new currency. The adoption would be immense, everyone on earth would use that currency and it’s value would skyrocket!

6 Likes

The value of safecoin will be determined by exchange markets. I think the amount farmers earn will be larger with my model in actual value (USD, EUR etc). Because the SAFE network will be used more, become more popular, have a greater network effect which will make the safecoin market cap larger. So the same amount of safecoins and with a higher actual value.

Because bitcoins for example, are not just handed out to people. Bitcoins have to be mined. And safecoins have to be farmed. So there is a real backing of cryptocurrencies like that.

1 Like

I leave this excellent point (that was ironic btw) for @happybeing to comment. I´m out.

1 Like

I have pointed out that the safecoin market cap will be larger with my model. Market cap = total value.

1 Like

The people to receive the World Central Bank currency also have to sell something first. So it’s “backed” by real resources as well.

1 Like

So people would have to sell stuff to get for example dollars and then exchange the dollars for the new World Central Bank currency?

Killing a discussion is never the only response, and it is not your call to make. If you can’t engage with a discussion without trying to kill it, you can ignore it. If you believe it should be stopped, you can flag it and explain why. It is not for you to determine whether a discussion deserves to continue or not, and if you think my like is inappropriate, you can raise that in the same way.

Returning to my moderation comment, if you don’t wish to follow forum guidelines you need to lobby for them to be changed, until then it is necessary for you to respect them while posting on the forum, whatever your opinion of posts from others.

1 Like