Using the network to receive message/other notifications

In the future, every phone may have hundreds of apps constantly checking for new information from various sources on the internet. Maybe there should be a standard format in which these sources could send a message to a safe account.

So, if I get a reply on Reddit, Reddit would send details of this to a notification tray in my safe account. Something like From: Reddit, Content: [x has responded to your post...]. Then the network would distribute this to several notification sub-trays, for my various devices. Then my phone could grab everything from this one source a few times a second instead of checking hundreds of sources every few seconds.

20 Likes

Email is sometimes used as a message bus, albeit largely on legacy systems. Using the SAFENetwork messaging system, it can take the best of the classic email approach, then mix it with modern message queue applications.

So, I think you are right to suggest this and it seems like a naturally useful design pattern, native to the network.

12 Likes

Hmm maybe this will just emerge gradually when the network is released then? That would be ideal.

3 Likes

Where we’re going you won’t need Reddit…:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Reddit isn’t going away any time soon. If there’s a way to use Safe to make all the clearnet stuff more convenient, people will use it and that will be good for the network.

3 Likes

Why use Reddit on oldnet when there is Seddit on safenet?

2 Likes

Because someone will post something to Reddit instead of Seddit. Plus, I’ve got decades of !RemindMe replies to come.

I guess this will really be essential for a dropbox app. So all the more reason to think the functionality will be there anyway :​)

Obviously for system messages and messaging subsystem there will be MD(s) to hold incoming messages (one message per field of MD most likely). Or a similar system. The MDs would be linked to from your account info most likely.

Notifications that you receive will be an APP (or browser addon). Remember notifications you get on the clearnet is via a program, eg email, browser, etc

I guess if the MD uses receive timestamps then an app would be able to sync all the notifications properly.

1 Like
  • For system generated messages then no timestamp is available.
  • For messages from other APPs then the other APP can add the timestamp on the computer it was running on.

In any case there is an order to the messages so that can be a sync. The order comes from field_1, field_2, etc within the MD

1 Like

I didn’t think of ID numbers. Oops!

Would this be how non-farming computers would sync their data with the network in general? Checking the latest system messages every second or so, and then running a sync function if it’s a new one?

I hope not, rather something like pubsub implemented as SCRIBE to be able to handle thousands of subscribers.

2 Likes

So, say I have 400 000 files on the network, synced to both my phone and desktop, what would happen when I edit a file from my phone?

The trick is, you would have no files on any device. They would all be on the network when you look at a file then it’s the latest version. The idea is hardware is to become something that never holds any data or identifying bit of info about you. Then you don’t care what device you use (you ofc want a secure device) you should just login and that device has your data “on it”.

10 Likes

Maybe eventually, but that’s probably a decade or so away, and won’t work everywhere. If I upload a 4 GB video from my desktop, I’d want my laptop to automatically sync it for later use when I don’t have internet.

If Safe doesn’t push file updates to user accounts, then surely another project will end up doing it instead. Like Dropbox, except instead of the app sending data to Dropbox servers, it will be sending it to Dropbox’s Safe account.

Do you mean you want all your 400,000 files on every device all the time? Dropbox does indeed do this for desktops AFAIK. It is not great though. For off-line (when will we get to never being offline?) then its best to not have the data cached but chunks instead. These are encrypted and obfuscated and useless without you being logged in.

The real thing is to never be offline and I realise that’s not great today, but I am encouraged by global networks, like satellite etc. Selective caching of chunks is certainly possible until then, however, if you are offline as you are flying then you could be forced to give your password over to unencrypt that data.

I am not sure what this part means, it does seem like you want all files on all of your devices. Perhaps you can clarify this.

3 Likes

Do you mean you want all your 400,000 files on every device all the time?

All 400,000 files on at least two devices (desktop and laptop), but with a subfolder just for my phone.

It is not great though. For off-line (when will we get to never being offline?) then its best to not have the data cached but chunks instead.

I guess locally stored chunks could work for this, since it’s still readable without internet. A lot of people think Dropbox is great. Its only real problems are being proprietary and centralised.

It seems like the intuitive solution is for the network to respond to file uploads by sending a notification to the uploader’s account, and to respond to file updates by sending notifications to all accounts that are subscribed to that file. No idea how tricky that would be to implement if it’s not already a core feature of course.

Then it would be up to the app to decide whether to redownload the file (most cases) or leave it unsynced (low bandwidth conditions, or low storage capacity phone).

Until everyone has internet everywhere (I don’t see this happening — underground trains, insulated music departments, countries under oppressive regimes, space flight, etc), syncing will remain popular.

Maybe this goes off topic though…

An app could do this, so combine nfs and messaging. When you change a file then it messages you. All your devices pick that up and store that file in cache locally on all devices where you are logged (you do not want to be logged in all over the place) in or will log in. That way you can have all your 400,000 files offline, either as chunks or the whole file. I think then you are in no better place than dropbox puts you really. Wide open and exposed on every device. I am sure some folk will want this though and an app could easily implement that.

3 Likes