USB sticks and maid safe

Can maidsafe be ran from a USB instead of the pc?

If you are talking about booting from a USB (itā€™s still running on the PC), I guess you can just install the launcher on it. Is that what you mean?

4 Likes

Yes. I know it still runs on the computer and all, but I see a security risk having the safe in program files.I would prefer having safe ran externally with little trace existence being present on system. Im far from an expert but even having it on the pc in programs kinda shows your hand and at that leaves it more vulnerable to attack. Also id like to play around with tails which is a great idea for added security if possible.Or it may cause a security risk. If we could marry the tors to the safe, the safe would increase in speed and availability.

The launcher and vault s/w is just binaries that can be run from the command line. They are not dependent on being ā€œinstalledā€ so should be fine to run from a USB stick.

Of course you need the right version of O/S and later on the location of the vaults files (a config parameter for the vaults) would have to fit into the filesystem structure of the PC/os that you use it on.

3 Likes

[ would have to fit into the filesystem structure of the PC/os that you use it on] I can do that with an external hard drive though correct? I know I cant use a windows safe with a mac.

The vault has a config file that is located with the vault s/w

In the config file you can specify the location of the vault directory where the chunks are stored. So you will be able to specify any drive you wish. The issue might be that one PC might not have that drive in its storage structure, or might call your external drive by a different name/drive letter

1 Like

In another discussion I was also thinking about Tails with a safenet NFS driver so you can mount you SAFE drive as the persistent volume, but such a driver doesnā€™t exist yet AFAIK. So for now I guess you could run the SAFE Launcher on Tailsā€¦?..

2 Likes

Ok. I know what Im gonna do. My goal is to use my main o/s as window dressing, using it as little as possible concerning utorrent and pirate bay. And as much as I like youtube, Alot is collected from the user. Creating two worlds, such as your name where one is neo and the other is mr anderson.

Yeah Im gonna try that just to see how it works.I would love to see the two together, which would solidify its existence of decentralization and greatly increase its size and speed for all.Also In this system web can be developed eliminating the control of the ispā€™s.Home Depot and Walmart would have to pay for their space yet not be able to use them super cookies on the ignorant public.

OK Im in the process of actually trying to add safe to the persistant volume in tails on usb. Im stuck in the terminal with thisā€¦We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for amnesia:
ā€“2016-10-14 09:23:26-- http://apt.maidsafe.net/repos/maidsafe.apt.gpg.key
Resolving apt.maidsafe.net (apt.maidsafe.net)ā€¦ Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for amnesia: 46.101.39.7
Connecting to apt.maidsafe.net (apt.maidsafe.net)|46.101.39.7|:80ā€¦ connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting responseā€¦ 200 OK
Length: 3075 (3.0K) [application/pgp-keys]
Saving to: ā€˜STDOUTā€™

•               100%[=====================>]   3.00K  --.-KB/s   in 0.1s   

2016-10-14 09:23:38 (22.9 KB/s) - written to stdout [3075/3075]
BUT,when I try to close the terminal, it say process still running so Im leaving open for now, but I did get the safe key added.

Maybe QubesOs is also of interest to you. I havent tried it, but Iā€™m going to.

2 Likes

You could even write a bootloader that loads the operating system from the safe network! So the USB stick/CD/floppy would just contain the code to connect to safe network and start loading the OS.

I do not know of any mainstream project like this yet, but i would be surprised if it took long before one would be avialable after launch.

1 Like

If you read the code I pasted, it seems to be running but I have no access to download my files to the safe network and even though it is running doesnt mean that it is cooperating with tails like I hope, but your idea is a good one.Im trying to coop the two together without adding too much security risk.Unfortunately my tech knowledge is not equal with my ideasā€¦lol!

Yeah, I checked it out. Seems like a pretty cool OS and is knocking on the door of an idea I have for an OS

1 Like

I tried it out and it is a bit of a pain.It needs massive memory which I dont have.It wasnt letting me play youtube in full screen and it would go on the fritz when I tried.The concept of compartmentalism is awesome though and I think it needs a little more time to develope so Ill be trying it out again in a few months.Im fairly new at linux systems too so much is probably due to my ingorance. I finally left windows and went to ubuntu which is fairly user friendly and works with maid safe well.

2 Likes