Urbit is a virtual city in the cloud (address space crowdsale)

@bitbybit idea is “pure robbery” from Maidsafe. Why would you reserve domain names for people if your not progressing the SAFE Network?

[quote=“dyamanaka, post:20, topic:10104”]
My main focus is on the SAFE Network Economy, not individuals or groups. I want the Network to have very good Safecoin circulation, which encourages a growing economy and benefits all of us. Perhaps the Network could charge a (Public ID ownership change Fee) instead of the initial PUT registration. This would keep funding the Network from vibrant activity.
[/quote] The first year will be a uphill climb and it’s at this stage that Maidsafe really needs all the money for marketing, training and awareness. People will say you yes for privacy and a second later not care because they want to watch their cat videos. The only way is to let them look at their cat video’s with security beneath the surface.

Last time I checked we’re not even a community of 3K, we really need to grow. I got to go to sleep now have a nice evening :sleeping:

1 Like

There are over 1 billion websites on the clearnet right now. It’s not Maidsafe’s task to reserve domain names for clearnet holders. BTW clearnet domains are for rent, so these people don’t own their domain. If Namecoin can be considered an example, clearnet domain owners don’t care about our fancy publicID’s. Matter fact we might even get totally ignored by the clearnet establishment at first.

Our next wave is (Tor users, Bittorrent users and cryptocurrency users).

Maidsafe’s current position is like going bare hand to fight somebody with a knife and gun. With maybe 20 people and not even $2 M in the bank at current prices, it’s simply an uphill battle for Maidsafe.

Let’s not forget how long it’s taking the bitcoin (concept of decentralized money) community to educate people about it. The SAFE Network is (decentralized money, decentralized storage,decentralized domain names, cutting edge security) all rolled into one joint. A friendly reminder, just because the SAFE Network is SAFE doesn’t mean that our hardware is.

At this stage we are crawling with this project and we’re totally unaware of possible scenario’s. Imagine that we finally got SAFEcoins and 70K users get on the SAFE Network, but a 10 million botnet user provides resources and this botnet is suddenly taken offline. Will the SAFE Network be able to know the difference between people and botnets? How do we even cope with this sudden impact? I’m not even talking about the haters and how much money they will pour into this to take us of the map.

Adding more exchanges won’t make people more aware of the SAFE Network, but maybe using the resources that we already got in the community might bring some changes. If Maidsafe can generate millions within 6 hours with Maidsafecoins, maybe it can do the same with publicID’s. If anything Urbit clearly shows that people are willing to pay for domains.

2 Likes

No worries, I appreciate that you’re passionate about this idea. My feeling is that even if we were to go down this route it is still too early (I don’t see interest beyond this comunity) and I can’t see it generating the kind of funding that we need at this stage. Even at $200k it really just gives us a couple months of run. We are currently working on something else that will enable everyone to participate in MaidSafe and bring the appropriate level of funding although I can’t say more at this stage.[quote=“19eddyjohn75, post:18, topic:10104”]
I don’t mean to sound harsh or cruel here, but our last strategy was to have Maidsafecoins on a Chinese exchange.
[/quote]

This wasn’t a strategy in itself, it is simply something that added more liquidity to the market and we won’t see the full impact of this until the exchange enables withdrawals, which I’m told should be Monday. As I say above we are working on an alternate funding route at the moment.

6 Likes

I think at least it should be possible to give name-holders the possibility to open their reserved namespace to others. For example if I registered the SAFE-domain prochnow.safenet it should be possible for me to give others the possibility to register subdomains like thomas.prochnow.safenet - be it for money or for free.

1 Like

Attempts to create artificial scarcity and rent seeking when the FOSS should free us from this elite welfare freeloading scapegoating that drives so much war and destruction and puts our survival as a species at risk. Lets turn SAFE into more structural violence. I don’t think Kanye would agree with this suggestion. SAFE is anti lock out, its a commons which isn’t about paid access, the “access for everyone.” part of Secure Access for Everyone precludes that.

I agree with you, Nick. Strategically the best point to carry out a sale is directly before the network starts (or at least close to release). I think you can perfectly align it to other PR strategies you are currently doing. To me it was more interesting if this is something you consider seriously or whether you simply don´t want to bother with this, because there are more important things to do.

Glad to hear you feel optimistic about other funding options. Looking at what Urbit managed to do, I don´t see why you should be able to raise more. Anyway, since you say it only gives you a couple of monthes: what are the funding dimensions you are currently looking into?

Who needs interest beyond this community, if this community got Maidsafe $8m in just five hours?

Urbit sold 1020 address spaces and raised $209100
BitcoinWallet.com was sold for $250,000 February 2014
BTC.com was sold for $1,000,000 August 2014

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but numbers don’t lie, domain names are a lucrative business. PublicID’s are not even to be compared with the domains above, because PublicID’s are decentralized, paid for once and totally owned by users. Within a month Maidsafe can have a minimum of $10M simply by auctioning publicID’s. If you don’t believe me, try and auction only 1 publicID: sex. I can even predict that it will bring in a minimum of $10K, but expect more.

Still don’t believe me that domain names are a lucrative business? look here.

Still don’t believe me? here is a live example for sinterklaas.nl the current bid is € 7,500.

If Maidsafe continue to believe that publicID’s are just another SD on the SAFE Network (the examples above show how people in the real world think about these things), what I hate to see, is that greedy people will profit from this, while they don’t care about the SAFE Network at all. I’ll do some domain squatting if I can, but all the money it generates will be translated into apps on the SAFE Network.

This is why this forum feels like home sweet home, you girls/guys stay creative. :stuck_out_tongue:

We need a few more weeks to get things in place, as ever we will let you guys know what is going on at the earliest opportunity.

People who like to make money are not necessarily greedy. Opportunistic people make the world go around. People who take ideas and make shitloads of money like selling domains for a million bucks can turn around and fund startups, support charities, educate their kids, buy fancy homes which support construction jobs and pay taxes on those fancy homes which supports community infrastructure, renovate those homes which supports local trades, buy fancy cars which support sales & manufacturing jobs.

Its clear you have good intentions. But you will get in line with other altruistic people asking the Greedy people for a loaf of bread to feed your family.

Could Maidsafe be courting Greedy people right now to help them make it to launch? You betchya they are.

When used properly. Greed Is Good.

1 Like

:kissing_heart::sleeping:

:kissing_heart:

@nicklambert I’m no pro and even far from smart, but the market speaks, let’s hope there is no next time, but the next time Maidsafe needs money.

Look at the numbers
(ENS) secures some $13.5 million in barely a week

Honestly it’s not rocket science why they do it, it’s just to make sure that everything Ethereum does succeed. If “faillure is not an option”, well maybe we should experiment more and try out every publicidea that makes Maidsafe and the SAFE Network succeed. This is absolutely no attack, but please look at the numbers… You guys have a tough job and my barking doesn’t really help either :kissing_heart: but it’s a numbers game.

1 Like

Hey @19eddyjohn75,

Thanks for the message. I do still think we need to be further along with development before we finalise how the naming process is going to be managed. I think once we have networks with persistent data. So with the coin prices solid atm and our assets spread more than previously we are in no rush, but good that we keep this under consideration.

4 Likes

As I understand it the bids don’t actually go to Eth foundation or anything, they just serve to lock up the name with the deposit. They can also get their money back and free up the name at any time. It actually seems like quite a reasonable way of doing things; the market decides the value of the domains but the money isn’t taken or spent and the names won’t be hogged and wasted. I haven’t really read much about it or given it a lot of thought, but at a glance it sounded pretty shrewd.

1 Like