Updated Maidsafe & Safe Network Press Kits

I’ve let David and Sharon know that I’ll create updated press kits for MaidSafe, the Safe Network, the upcoming testnet and Fleming.

Where I could use help is in identifying the most noteworthy features and aspects of the upcoming testnet and Fleming. Please comment below regarding what you think are the most important things to highlight. This will help me to more quickly draft kits for Maidsafe’s review. Thank you! :smile:

33 Likes

Please include some moon pictures with SAFE logo.

6 Likes

Serverless website hosting and Data Storage? The excitement of testing out the future internet? It’s more ambitious and radical than any other technology in the field? It could revolutionise our entire concept of the internet?

5 Likes

Great, keep the thoughts coming!

Here’s a thought starter list for more technical things to consider:

• CRDTS
  • AT2
  • BRB
  • Rewards
  • Test Safe Network Tokens
  • Disjoint sections

Please add to the list and provide context for why you think these features are important.

Yeah, I suppose I ought to throw in a lambo too :joy:

8 Likes

When I first joined this forum I thought Lambo must be a familiar term for Nick Lambert. I thought people saying ‘When Lambo?’ were hassling him for a date for Alpha 3!

4 Likes
  • fireproof (and reference recent incident at OVH) or more generally resistant to any local disaster (in the past some VPS were down at VULTR due to a hurricane in Miami)
5 Likes

My Facebook reminded me about this today, from 3 years ago.

FB_IMG_1615460750191

and also the,

FB_IMG_1615460732661

Hope it helps. I don’t have the originals, the text is poor, readable if you squint.

12 Likes

Personally I think that unless we’re specifically targetting the crypto press we should be very low-key about SNT beyond its role in facilitating the internal market of the network. Very few tech journalists are fully up-to-date on the alt-coin space, and the rest will just associate it with scam and move on.

No harm in having two separate press packs though.

12 Likes

I agree. Multiple press kits will need to be created to specifically speak to three audiences: crypto, tech, and business. I have a long list of publications that fall into each of those three categories that I think Maidsafe should reach out to for press coverage.

Even with the crypto community, I think SNT shouldn’t be the primary focus.

As people provide insights on what aspects of the testnet to highlight, I’ll categorize them into and refine the language to suit the three targets noted above.

14 Likes

So glad to hear this. If it’s framed as SNT’s value will come from the active use and excitement of the possibilities we can now demonstrate to others / the world, then I think it is more powerful.

19 Likes

I would add a fourth - “consumer” … much in the way dropbox or google-drive might advertise to the average non-techie person.

1 Like

What relevant publications would you consider that don’t target consumers who are interested in either crypto, business or tech?

These days anyone can be a publisher … and we all are to one extent or another via our use of social media … so what I suggest is a package of marketing materials that anyone can use to market to the average consumer - a simplified layperson kit focused on, e.g., marketing the features for which millions currently use dropbox and google drive.

1 Like

Given limited time capacity (believe it or not, I do have a full time job, haha), I won’t be able to prioritize that at the moment. However, between the three press kits, I believe anyone in the community would be able to adapt the information to suit their purposes. For now, I am prioritizing getting coverage from publications with the greatest reach.

5 Likes

No worries. It was just a suggestion. Your efforts are appreciated.

5 Likes

I could help you with that list. As well as the obvious tech and crypto publications it’s also worth hitting up big publishers like Forbes and Business Insider which pride themselves on featuring cutting-edge tech. Also MaidSafe has featured previously in the Guardian and New Scientist and Max Keiser so chase them up, and don’t forget the Scottish press who will be keen to trumpet their own once it gets over the hurdle of proving itself.

15 Likes

Permanent Data is the unique value proposition. This also feeds into data ownership + privacy + interoperability, but permanence is the root of the unique value proposition. The consequences of permanent data is very broad-reaching, but it’s a complex narrative to weave so I really respect and appreciate what you’re undertaking with this @Sotros25 et al.

Efficiency is a huge benefit. We use spare / sunk cost hard drive space and bandwidth to store the knowledge of humanity, and the incentives to do it are well aligned (compared to torrents, usenet, ipfs etc). Democratic / fair participation, no special equipment needed. There’s a historian angle here too, something about lost knowledge and repeating mistakes, but I’m not quite sure how to put it.

To add to the list of technologies:

• Reliable Message Delivery (RMD, see rfc0058)
  • Secure Message Deliver (SMD, see rfc0056)
  • BLS and DKG (honestly amazing tech, and the way maidsafe uses it is unique among all other bls-in-crypto)
  • Self-encryption
  • Node ageing and relocation

A very minor point the s in CRDTs is lowercase, Conflict-Free Replicated Data Types

I feel there may be some benefit to pointing out the unappealing point that the economic model is not finalized. People will probably be wanting to know the rate that new coins are created etc, and I feel the only really honest answer here is ‘we don’t know’, not because it’s depending on unpredictable real world events, but because the algorithm isn’t actually finalized.

12 Likes

I think you are on the right track. I posted this video on another thread in the forum but am doing so in this one. If Bitcoin can reach where it has and the ordinary person doesn’t get it enough to buy, then the end consumer isn’t a pressing priority at this point in time

1 Like

What the status of the algo? Is this going to be finalized with Fleming testnet? It’s been contemplated a long while I know.

1 Like

These are the publications we had so far in the media:

There is an article written by Nick Lambert published at Huffington Post, which is more like a mini-essay about the state of affairs of our current internet:

14 Likes