Update 30 September, 2021

The new datatype is beautiful. Thank you!!:+1::+1:

7 Likes

I’ve gotta admit, I always try to love the updates, I don’t always read em…
I know we’re in great hands, sure I’ll miss some basics, but what I miss ill learn later.

Thanks team, thanks community, together I’m confident we’ll get a win for humanity.

10 Likes

amazing :+1: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This seems to be a very effective way for multiple clients to write their DBCs into a single shared spendbook. thanks for @maidsafe

Thanks for the easy explanation.

2 Likes

Very good explanation. Thanks for @dirvine

2 Likes

Thanks Maidsafe devs for your hard work

Can’t wait to see it all in action

Another week another bug fix :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep hacking super ants :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

I can smell the safe network

15 Likes

Okay I’ve watched convoluted animes that make more sense than that Merkle rig tutorial. You’re combining ASCII art with programming language and undefined vocabulary. It doesn’t make for a very smooth learning experience. Half the time I’m trying to figure out which parts are programming code and which parts are visual demonstrations of how the code is supposed to function.

Also one of my main questions in all this is how do all these tutorials play into the main roadmap and assembling the SAFE Network as a whole. Learning the nuts and bolts is great and all but it would be all that more relevant if we knew where it all fit in to the grand scheme of things of moving the project forward towards launch.

P.S. I am sorry if I sound like a downer and not going “OMG that’s awesome!” Like all the rest but when I don’t understand something I will tell you straight up. Hopefully such honesty will help you guys better communicate in future updates.

3 Likes

I didn’t study the Merkle explanation the first time, but after @Blindsite2k’s post above I went back and dug in a bit harder. I’m not a mathematician or a programmer, and certainly could use more definitions, but I found the presentation quite informative. I get a sense of how it works and how much it solves.

Thanks team for making this much detail accessible to the simple folk.

11 Likes

It’s a balance between updates as tutorials and updates as informative for people close to knowing the state of the art. It’s hell really as it is assumed we can bypass uni degrees and large textbooks to explain things. We get castigated for not saying what we are doing and then castrated for saying what we are doing. So it is a fine balance and we try, it will never please everyone and we don’t even try to anymore.

I hope what we publish gives those technically minded and inquisitive, enough info to tell others, hey this is important. Then the convo flows, but as I say informing everyone of every detail is never gonna happen, no matter how much we want it to.

25 Likes

It’s all written out and quite well I might add but the trash can is just a visual aid/representation of a ‘trash’ node that simulates deletion in the Merkle flow. They literally defined the trash node.

I think many can sympathize with you though and I don’t have a strong grasp of it from a purely technical level either but the more technically minded will and it’s important that Maidsafe share their progress and designs for those who do understand to discuss and critique.

They are being transparent and since they are doing mostly nitty gritty work there isn’t much pudding to be spoon fed, yet. Once the technical innovations are all sorted and in the open to settle in, we’ll start getting UI and fun shiny toys. Which only gets closer by the day :wink:

But I personally think you should just reread it several times and try to absorb and enjoy these special accomplishments.

We are in a unique position to know how the guts of the network work before it is live and in the limelight. Some people here might even end up being consultants someday just by following these updates and getting a good grasp.

15 Likes

A Merkle reg tutorial!?

“Oh wow! that’s awesome! My mind’s blown to smithereens! Thank you maidsafe!”

3 Likes

On a more serious note, when were the last two testnets and when can we expect the next one?

Is there still one running?

I’m satisfied with my vagrant boxes currently, so I want to test my docker image again.

2 Likes

Not publically, if you check though you can run testnets locally easy enough nd now in CI we can run testnets with a simple PR message that executes these, you can too but need your own DO tokens etc.

4 Likes

Continuous integration? Pull request? DO?
I’m a bit lost now, because I can only associate the first two with git runners
and wouldn’t that mean I would have to write a seperate github projects for those wanting to start with root nodes?

Sounds like an invite @Josh, if you give it a go I’ll join in!

5 Likes

27 posts were split to a new topic: Testnet tool

I am happy to see all the progress in the updates as well as in Github. But I am also a bit lost in regards to what are the expected next steps?

I mean that in June / July it was said that stability is the thing lacking before public testnet. Then the expectation was to have stable testnet wihtout DBC’s integrated yet, and have them in later. Maybe the plan and blocks (stability) are still the same, but I think it could be stated a bit more clearly? Because now it seems we are approaching public testnet by the community first and that raises a question why that is possible but not an “official” one? Maybe there are so much warts still, that ‘warts and all’ -approach does not quite cover the case yet, but you’d still like to give us something?

I’d like to hear a bit more about how soon your internal testnets fail, and what happens when they are failing? What is the failure? Something like “structure breaks after splits” or “structure works fine, but uploading and downloading files does not work reliably”…

3 Likes

Most if not all github commits right now are addressing bugs and these cause failures. We have a few guys working on test/bug/fix daily. So right now it’s almost all stability and each commit states what it’s fixing. So best to use that, otherwise, somebody will need to tabulate all the bugs we are fixing to reproduce that info in some easy to see the whole picture graphic. I feel it’s best, although tough and distressing, to let the guys keep squashing these issues. It takes a wee while, but that is just our luck more than anything.

While bug hunting like that is happening, we are all distracted and not able to say much more than it’s getting more stable, this beast.

The other part of the team are DBC working and looking at how to integrate a totally private money scheme in a network that requires farming and proof of payment or contract based mechanism to earn tokens. That needs some heads on it, but most heads are bug hunting.

19 Likes

Just to add, bu ghunting trends to require consistent focus, as does the design of a crucial feature like integration of DBCs so it makes sense that the team are mostly quiet, although we can see the merges happening on GitHub daily, which reflects progress being made.

I don’t think it’s worth distracting or breaking concentration to give more detail on progress. Maybe someone from the community cares to help others by tracking merges and making a table so this doesn’t impact the team?

8 Likes