Update 25 August, 2022

What do you mean vs US? Day/Month/Year which makes perfect sense vs Month/Day/Year which is the most illogical nonsense anyone could have come up with.
(10 years of living in the states and that format annoys me every time I use it… almost daily :laughing:)

topname.subname is the equivalent of dd.mm.yyyy in my opinion.

10 Likes

Thanks so much to the entire Maidsafe team for all of your hard work! :racehorse:

I can’t believe I forgot to check in yesterday! :racehorse:

7 Likes

I agree but more pedantically:

yyyy.mm.dd. Largest to smallest.

topname.sub.sub…

btw, it is common with software to use the yyyy-mm-dd format because it is unambiguous (regardless of locale) whereas mm-dd-yyyy and dd-mm-yyyy are often ambiguous (whenever the dd is less than 13).

6 Likes

Maybe not software dev compatible, but only unambiguous format is 26 August 2022.

I’ll try and give a good rundown on it next week. A lot going on at the mo!

But rest assured it’s well reasoned and (long) considered.

7 Likes

Will subdirectories still be as before?

So you have for example Google.maps/USA?

2 Likes

Yes indeed

3 Likes

I think the opposite. I think the date equivalent would be yyyy.mm.dd but let’s see what the reasoning is.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, my point was somewhat convoluted in that I meant equivalent in sense and logic of mm.dd.yyyy vs dd.mm.yyyy

But also eager to hear.
I guess logic here is in the eye of the beholder!

1 Like

For dates I love dd.mm.yyyy but I know deep down yyyy.mm.dd makes more sense from a filing point of view

3 Likes

yyyy.mm.dd is the best format for accurate sorting by programs such as Excel and operating system directory listings also.

3 Likes

I think the year as a 4 digit thing is less prevalent than we imagine. I See most folk write 13-04-22 or 04-13-22 as opposed to using 2022. So I think it’s all about perception and people’s propensity to shorten things. So we just had 22-08-22 and on the fun goes :wink: was that 2202-08-22 or 22-08-2022, we will never know :smiley:

I have never understood the month-day-year thing mind you, it seems as mental as having sidewalks where pavements should be :smile: Incoming :bomb: :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes

I’ve heard some Americans say month first is better because the month is more salient than what day it is.

shrugs

Like @VaCrunch I like YYYY-MM-DD for sorting easily.

2 Likes

I just don’t like time at all :slight_smile:

12 Likes

As always, it depends on context.

I’m interested to hear MaidSafe’s reasoning but I wonder if it will involve assumptions that will be valid in some contexts, but not necessarily others. Which is why I tend towards status quo (subdomain.domain) which wins based on convention and expectation, regardless of context.

1 Like

Ah sorry, my comment was just about the date thing. Will need to defer to Jim on the reasoning for domain ordering. I do think you’ve got a good point though about the current system being really embedded in people’s minds. Anyway, I’m sure a good discussion will be had about it.

5 Likes

I was referring to the date thing, re context. Then expanding to include the name discussion because I think this point applies to both.

4 Likes

I would imagine the accepted format was based at least on some of the following considerations:

1. Functionality - How will the format affect day-to-day use of relevant services and products?
  2. Programmability - How will it affect the programming of the network from the perspective of Safe developers?
  3. Resistance and Acceptance - How much expected resistance will there be from users and outside developers and what level is acceptable? How long will it take for users and developers to make the necessary mental and professional adjustments to the format? Note: After all these years and several promotions, Americans, in general, still won’t use the metric system.
  4. Whether or not the “final” decision will have to be written in stone. Can a pivot be done later if it’s deemed advisable?

Just some rambling thoughts.

2 Likes

That actually would be 2202-80-22 :wink:

Yea i know I’m being silly

3 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! I add the translations in the first post :dragon:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

8 Likes