Update 24 February, 2022

I think you are conflating the network ‘service’ and the naming system. The other reason to choose System is to emphasise that it is very much less like a service than DNS. I prefer to stand back from definitions and look at the impact of one choice or the other.

We’ve had similar discussions over when Safe Network nodes are servers. Technically you can argue that they are, but to do so is IMO misleading so I disagree with that too.

1 Like

And that is why our perspective on the matter is different. Words have definitions. Without standards the language/conversation becomes muddled and inexact.
Conversion of xor addresses to/from human language is service being provided to the user to improve navigation, full stop. The network itself is the system. Other important systems include the solar system and the planetary ecosystem.

Might as well call it a Dog Neutering Subroutine or Naturally Rendered Sandwich if standard word definitions are not to be applied.

By the way, DNS (Domain Name System)is a system of servers running code that provides services.

2 Likes

I agree with that, and choosing words is about finding a way of conveying meaning, I think we agree. My point is that what you prefer doesn’t convey the most accurate meaning. Language evolves, the meaning of words changes. I’m sure you don’t need examples from me.

Exactly, and in no way is it similar to how Safe Network does name resolution, hence the problem. The way Safe Names are used, their qualities and capabilities are different to internet domains, and that’s why we chose not to call them domains, even though they look and seem like domains in many respects to end users.

Using the same words will mislead everyone who knows about DNS and doesn’t take time to look at how the NRS is implemented.

You just proved my entire point. That’s why it is a service of the world computer to help out its human clients and not a system of servers.

Domain Name System (DNS)

vs

Name Resolution Service (NRS)

You totally misunderstood what I meant.

Maybe the words you chose were misleading! :rofl:

I thought you were using DNS because it was Service. If I was wrong and it is System then it proves both ways, no? If they decided it is a system then that’s a more accurate term for the thing. And yes you can turn the argument back on me, but it proves nothing.

My point is that System is a more helpful description.

1 Like

I think the distinction will be a matter of System Defaults. Xor is the underlying System. Will name resolution be a default part of the network, that is managed by the network as a top-level domain, or will it be a subcategory of action on the network?

If it is the former, it’s a default system and substituting an alternate service would be a workaround.
i.e., safe://“petname” = safe://(xor address)"

If the latter, then alternative lookup services would have an even playing field to operate in.
e.g., safe://lookup/“service1”/(xoraddress)
vs safe://lookup/“service2”/(xoraddress)

where safe://lookup by itself would return an error message requesting a service address.

I know this seems odd, but would democratize and give an individual control over which services they wish to filter with. Would also allow individual controls (e.g. parental filtering) to be controlled by account or device.

Xor addresses can be gleaned from any service’s listings, so would be completely open sourced. Let the competition for favored filtering or preferences be in complete play.

This would allow for different “webs” to be shifted between, while the underlying infrastructure would be open for use to everyone.

Basically, then, safe://(xor address) would take you to the sight at any point, but for look up, you could use the Service of your choice. Services could come as defaults to different browser versions, or be modified by the user.

So default lookup on the official Safe Foundation browser (installed with base software) (e.g., safe://lookup/SafeLookup) could have limited default directory of addresses that direct the user as to how to use the system according to their preferences, filters, parental controls, and have an index of sites that give the info on the network and its use, including suggestions and instruction as to how the user can locate the lookup services they want, and how to set these as default. This index could have a variety of sites as seems prudent to the Safe Foundation and be very uncontroversial, apolitical, proper cautions, etc.

Beyond that, the user-selected browser and default service is completely free for the public to choose, according to their filtering inclinations, which everyone will have and competition will be rife.

Thoughts?

I think that needs its own topic or maybe posting in a topic where those kind of things have already been discussed. No time to search just now, or read and comment properly.

1 Like

Thx 4 the update Maidsafe devs.

Welcome back @oetyng

Just some feedback about NRS, imho it should have more freedom of expression. Now the NRS system only understands the clearnet url format, but what if it was different?

What if @dcode could fork his vid from Youtube to SAFE Network and have an NRS like:
Rust Programming Tutorial #23 - Implementing Traits

Imho this would do two things

• Create an NRS that could take any input
  • Create an NRS id on SAFE Network of data searchable on search engines on clearnet, that are maybe on SAFE Network.

Sure we’ll need our own search engine, but why not tap into the existing 1s on clearnet to search on SAFE Net?

GOD I love an internet where :cat: :ant: :dog: live

Keep hacking super ants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Out of curiosity: Nightly release run failed yesterday, but cleared today. There were no PR’s merged in between the runs. Is the difference a result from some intermittent bug, or why?

3 Likes

Just noticed this too, and am wondering the same.

3 Likes

On the previous night’s run, the test network wasn’t launched correctly, though it’s not clear why.

Subsequently, all the tests failed because they had no network to connect to.

6 Likes

Hi,

I am having an issue with switching safe network to comnet following this guide. I got the following log:

Feb 28 01:23:45.510 DEBUG safe: Starting Safe CLI...
    Feb 28 01:23:45.511 DEBUG safe::cli: Processing command: CmdArgs { cmd: Some(Networks { cmd: Some(Switch { network_name: "comnet" }) }), output_fmt: None, output_json: false, dry: false, xorurl_base: None }
    Feb 28 01:23:45.511 DEBUG safe::operations::config: Config settings retrieved from '/home/tamunosiki/.safe/cli/config.json': Settings { networks: {"comnet": ConnInfoLocation("https://sn-comnet.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/node_connection_info.config")} }
    Feb 28 01:23:45.511 DEBUG safe::operations::config: Config settings at '/home/tamunosiki/.safe/cli/config.json' updated with: Settings { networks: {"comnet": ConnInfoLocation("https://sn-comnet.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/node_connection_info.config")} }
    Feb 28 01:23:45.511 DEBUG safe::subcommands::networks: Switching to 'comnet' network...
    Switching to 'comnet' network...
    Fetching 'comnet' network connection information from 'https://sn-comnet.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/node_connection_info.config' ...
    Error:
       0: expected value at line 1 column 1

Backtrace omitted.
    Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
    Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets.

I was able to connect to the local node baby-fleming follow the guide from the github repo but encountered an when I tried to upload a file. I got the following log:

Error:
   0: ClientError: Problem finding sufficient elders. A supermajority of responses is unobtainable. 1 were known in this section, 3 needed. Section pk: PublicKey(1067..b7df)
   1: Problem finding sufficient elders. A supermajority of responses is unobtainable. 1 were known in this section, 3 needed. Section pk: PublicKey(1067..b7df)

/rustc/db9d1b20bba1968c1ec1fc49616d4742c1725b4b/library/core/src/result.rs:1911

Backtrace omitted.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets.

I am using a fish shell on an arch base linux.

I am super excited about the Safe Network and will like to build my Rust apps on the network. I will like to start playing with the network through the CLI before jumping into the API. So please I need help figuring out what my issues are.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @GTime Comnet is not active now that’s why your getting an error.

Usually Friday night is comnet night so I’d recommend you join us on Friday night :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Okay thank you very.

This will mean I will have to wait for Friday night to get a practical feel of the network, this is demotivating. Is there another network that works most of the time?

2 Likes

No reason to be demotivated maid safe coin price is a bargain and development is progressing well.

Just enjoy the ride!!

Weekley up dates from the team are on Thursdays.

Thanks, I was hoping I got a local node working and which I could get this issues resolve early.

Guessing you tried running baby fleming
Last time I tried to spin up a local network via baby Fleming it worked fine on Ubuntu if that’s any help

Yes I tried baby-fleming but I was not able to upload file to it. Do I need to do any configuration before running the node or client?

2 Likes

make sure you remove all traces of previous baby-fleming attempts before starting again.

The safest way is to zap ~/.safe entirely and reinstall. rm-rf ~/.safe

1 Like

rm (whitespace) -rf ~/.safe

3 Likes