Update 21 October, 2021

Every mountain I climb is the same :slight_smile:

15 Likes

For all those observers tired of waiting … you aren’t nearly as tired of the journey as Papa Smurf I suspect.

Great work Dev smurfs, keep it going …

NOT FAR NOW!!

16 Likes

Great update! Just had time to read through it all and this team and project really are something special. This sort of ground breaking stuff will change the world.

It may be hard for some folks to see market caps and wish for more now, but this stuff will be worth waiting for.

Keep forging away, team. You’re doing amazing things.

21 Likes

Great update, great work again!

I came up with an idea for a possible theme for some future update: the networking of the nodes. Maybe it is too early at this point in time though, as things seems to be brewing in that front.

After reading the update I just realized I don’t understand such a basic concept as ‘connection’ for example. What is a ‘connection’? Why would you want or not want to have several connections between two ‘things’ in the internet? Is there maybe some easy to understand resource somewhere in the internet? Preferably using some other technology as an analogy, such as “Sally making a phone call to Patty”.

I also wonder about the interface between passive hardware and the software activity on the machines… Something in my computer must be “open” and accepting incoming connections in a very fundamental level, as a capacity, but how does it build up from there?

I guess this is a huge topic, and I certainly don’t want to take any dev time to explain me the basics, so if there is anyone in the community wanting to open their chest of treasures, welcome, welcome! Or if there is a link to an existing resource in a “for dummies” -level?

6 Likes

Good questions actually. Quic changes a bit of terminology/use here a little.
So you as a node/client have an endpoint. This is a socket really, but a local socket that is not connected to anything, yet.
Then you have connections on the endpoint. These connections connect your endpoint to others on the network.

Just to recap here, you have a single endpoint (IP and port) and now you have many connections to different nodes.

Now on these connections, you add a “stream” this is the pipe you push data down. You can have many streams on a connection if you wish. When all streams are finished the connection can be closed.

You have a choice of bi-directional streams (talk and listen) or unidirectional (talk only, the other side will also do this and you listen to their talk if that makes sense).

So on your single endpoint (no need to map a ton of IP and ports for different connections now, they all go via this IP:PORT) and on that many connections to many nodes. In these connections, you have data streams.

How this works is neat, quick allows data (steams) to be multiplexed and not only that but connections to also work concurrently (send or receive). This gives us a lot of flexibility and many “connections” for a small price in terms o locally open network sockets (which every OS limits)

9 Likes

The most basic questions are often the best ones. Let’s meet for coffee or something while I’m still in Helsinki, and try to figure things out.
(:heartpulse:)

1 Like

If you were downloading a file that is split over the network, would you have multiple connections created for that specific task like with a torrent?

3 Likes

Yes, you would get each chunk from different nodes, so the file comes down like a torrent with chunks coming in concurrently. This is a part of the final tweaking we need to check, well I mean we need to check we are asking for data concurrently, which I think we are, but good to check

12 Likes

What about the state of IP scrubbing, data hopping, etc? The last thing I remember hearing was that at least all of the elder IPs were exposed.

5 Likes

Sounds like a techie romcom.

2 Likes

When we can see testnet ?

When its ready.

9 Likes

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change…” Practicing acceptance…and a bit-o-faith. :pensive:

2 Likes

Most of you folks to change it though, through input and positive energy. When we/I see the dev updates it gives us a push.

13 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! I add the translations in the first post :dragon:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

6 Likes

In Korean, there is a word called ‘han’, ‘한’. Han (cultural) - Wikipedia This is mainly a feeling of sadness. but it may express desire towards goals to me. I can feel this han a little bit in your expression. longing for your goal. Thanks @dirvine

8 Likes